Winter trips/ vacations in central US?

MinnBobber

Winter in Minnesota sucks, need an E bike vacation.
What is the closest place to go for good roads , safe road riding, and warm enough temps in Feb/March?

I’m thinking I-35 south past Kansas City but not all the way to Texas…..
What do the Ozarks offer? They seems to have great mountain biking, but what are conditions for road biking???

Thanks for any suggestions!

They just had the world championship CX races in Fayettville, Ark and it seems like there are lots of riding opportunities of all kinds there? Lots of road riding for sure plus mtb trails. Not sure about the weather though but should be getting on towards spring down there?

Here in southern Indiana we had our bout of 1/2" frozen rain 10 days ago. 6 deg blast hitting moist gulf air caused all that. All gone now. No more of that I'm pretty sure. Was 62 today, but will be down to 25 some nights in the next two weeks. I ride all year unless they pile snow which turns to ice in the bike lane. Hasn't happened for the last 3 years. I wear 7 layer above waist below 25 F and 2 layers including flannel lined pants below waist below 15. Farmer mittens below 25 and oven mitts over those below 10. Welders helmet liner in helmet below 15 for ears. 62 degrees & wind gusts to 50 mph Thursday; I'll stay off the road for that.
Lots of back roads & streets here. Rte 31 has pretty good berms but 62 has a high accident rate traffic circle that I had to bypass when they installed it. Rte 3 has narrow berms but there are parallel paved back roads all the way from Jeffersonville to Marysville. We have rolling hills here. The flat part of Indiana is Colombus & north, where the glacier scraped everything down.

Last edited:
Winter in Minnesota sucks, need an E bike vacation.
What is the closest place to go for good roads , safe road riding, and warm enough temps in Feb/March?

I’m thinking I-35 south past Kansas City but not all the way to Texas…..
What do the Ozarks offer? They seems to have great mountain biking, but what are conditions for road biking???

Thanks for any suggestions!
Gunna be 71 degrees Fahrenheit here in Palm Springs tomorrow-Monday it will be 85. Perfect bike riding weather...

This time of year, here in the northern half of the US, riding possibilities are limited to cold temperature tolerance and snow pack.

In my case, I keep my eyes open for places forecast to be above 40 degrees. I use this website to check for snow cover:

It's updated hourly via satellite and I find it to be quite accurate.

Back