Winter Sucks

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
Today is the end of the first week of December. Winter sucks. At 5:20 the sun is gone just when I am ready to read a book in the sun. Only two weeks to go and things will be looking brighter each day. Gripes about Winter are welcome as are adaptations. Hopeful signs and plans of Spring are welcome also. Persephone is rising.
1670462723061.jpeg

It was 53F here today all day. Overcast and damp from all the rain yesterday. But still nice enough to go for a ride. First ride I've had a chance to take since our other car got out of the shop after the crash. It's been too cold or rainy most days. Hooked my trailer up and went to the store to get a few things. Only a 6 mile total trip, but at least I was able to get out. I don't care if I'm doing practical rides or for fun, they're both the same.

Today is the end of the first week of December. Winter sucks. At 5:20 the sun is gone just when I am ready to read a book in the sun. Only two weeks to go and things will be looking brighter each day. Gripes about Winter are welcome as are adaptations. Hopeful signs and plans of Spring are welcome also. Persephone is rising.
View attachment 141937
Winter in the SF bay area..whats that 🤣 (I lived/biked there for 10 years). Its more like rainy season/dry season. I recall it raining every single day for two months back in the mid 90s and then not raining for 10 months. Winter/wet rides amongst the redwoods(Big Basin park) was always interesting when you could stop and hear the tress falling due to the unstable/wet soil.

20 mile all singletrack MTB full moon ride today just south of Boulder, CO. 35degrees. The chinook winds(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind) will make it even warmer tomorrow.

The chinook winds are always welcome here, there have been days where it is below freezing all day long and the chinooks kick in at 10pm and increase temps to 60F and I go for a ride (in 30+mph winds)

Bikes parked until March, unless we do a southern road trip. Warm days, like yesterday, where it hit 50, are rainy. On top of that, the town sanded roads some time back, so our local steep hills are treacherous.
Time to set up the trainer.

The chinook winds are always welcome here, there have been days where it is below freezing all day long and the chinooks kick in at 10pm and increase temps to 60F and I go for a ride (in 30+mph winds)
There were times the Chinooks kicked up after work and I'd have to ride home (albeit a short ride) in 40+mph head and cross winds. Having to stand on the pedals just to get anywhere wasn't fun (as was the breathing with the wind blowing hard across the mouth). The panniers made things really interesting. Oh to have had an ebike back then.

But it was warm. ;)

In summer its commonly over 100 fahrenheit. I have to worry about the battery temperature. I have to move the bike inside the front door rather than the garage because a 140-degree closed garage is a bad thing. In winter, I can pedal hard and just unzip my jacket to cool off. Or no jacket. A mid day ride means I can just have a long sleeve thermal on and gloves. Shorts are fine down into the mid 30's. I have some Duluth flex-firehose pants for freezing and below temps. But I really appreciate the cold air keeping me cool as I work the crankarms.

Its also nice to be able to use my bike lights to illuminate my path as opposed to just using them to try and attract attention so I don't get run over.

AND I forgot to push 'Post' after I wrote the above. I left and just got back from a fairly long ride across town to get some lunch and for once just get some exercise rather than actually accomplish something. Its cold, overcast ... and NO TOURISTS!. The paths aren't choked with morons ambling aimlessly. The streets are mostly empty and I had them largely to myself. Its like a whole new world vs. when its sunny and warm. hell... I love winter!

View attachment 141937

OR just HTFU and get some studs

Attachments

• IMG_20221208_115645.jpg
    IMG_20221208_115645.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20210213_092346_01.jpg
    IMG_20210213_092346_01.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 149
I went for a morning ride. Overcast and cold but it was a blast. Here is the bike I rode. Decked in a Hall with Holly. It goes Fa. It used to have a gold chain. We will have a lighted bike parade next week so I gave my friend wreaths and bows from thrift stores, plus DC lights to deck out her cargo bike. Her three year old stole the stuff and dressed up as a Christmas tree for hours.
1670530467424.png

Attachments

• WinterSucks.JPG
    WinterSucks.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 161
  • MrT.jpg
    MrT.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 164
I feel like a slouch. It’s been too cold, or too wet, or just wet roads from the night before for me to bike to work. Not a fan of riding just when the roads are wet. I just don’t have much faith in drivers with wet conditions. Summer is where it’s at, for me. In my area, it gets about 90F. No rain, nice breeze, warm sun, yes please!

View attachment 141937
picasion.com_f71acc4954c0d36d30cfb0058c7380f3.gif

The fuzzy buds are swelling for the rising of Spring. This is from a ride today.

Attachments

• winterSukcs2.JPG
    winterSukcs2.JPG
    606.3 KB · Views: 125
Our bikes are parked for now in the garage in the RV. We get a short winter this year, as we will be in Florida and a warm climate after the first of the year! Sounds like an extended riding season to me!!

OR just HTFU and get some studs
Or fatties. Fat tires at 5psi just roll over snow and the increased surface area works wonders for ice.

Studs are great in snow, but am I the only ones who finds they are a death trap in just icy conditions like after freezing rain? They don't dig in and just reduce your contact patch.

As to winter, it's my jam. I'm miserable any time the temps get over 65F. I've been tempted to move further north to reduce the number of months I'm stuck indoors seated a foot from a window AC in nothing but my tightie whities and still miserable from the heat.

I honestly can't figure out how anyone lives south of the Mason-Dixon line.

I live in a very weird place. When it is over 65F it is dry. When it is under it is damp. When it is over 70 cool wind comes in from the sea every afternoon all Summer so the nights and mornings are cool. That is why pot farmers and grape growers like it here. Now it is 45 and damp. I feel great after a ride. And it is back to a conversion project. I am taking a new black 7sp step-thru with fenders
south of the Mason-Dixon line

and making it a mid-drive 9sp with gravel tires. I couldn't live in the South East. Somewhere like New Mexico has very cold nights all Summer and warm dry days. Maybe I could do that. I didn't see a mosquito all year. The nights are too cold for them.

Back