Winter or cold weather battery storage

BH's (Easy Motion) recommendation for long term storage is charge to 80%, then monitor and recharge as necessary every three months.

PLEASE USE 50%
50%
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 2.35.19 PM.png

University research indicates normal refrigerator temps are ideal. Above freezing 35-40 degrees and 50%.

Anyone have any advice or helpful tips for battery storage for +30 days! Should the battery be completely drained of power? Should it just be shelved to diminish power over time? Should a charge be administered
periodically? Any tips would be gratefully appreciated, thanx:rolleyes:.
Wish I could help you out, but I ride no matter how crappy the weather gets. That requires regular charging:)

My Apologies, Rich.
I'm New to the Forum, and wasn't Aware it was Exclusively about Lithium, but I Did get an Answer to My Question, anyway.
It's not exclusive anything. You said you thought the battery was partial lead, everyone else was giving advice based on lithium chemistry. The two different chemistries can react differently.
I still don't know what partial lead is.

Wish I could help you out, but I ride no matter how crappy the weather gets. That requires regular charging:)
It's not exclusive anything. You said you thought the battery was partial lead, everyone else was giving advice based on lithium chemistry. The two different chemistries can react differently.
I still don't know what partial lead is.
I got This from a Place called Pro Battery Shops-
"When placing an Electric Scooter or Electric Bike into Storage, ensure that the Batteries are Fully Charged before going into Storage.
And Recharge the Batteries at least once every 3 months while in Storage.
Failure to do This can cause Internal Oxidization causing a Shortened Battery Lifespan, and a Lower Mileage Range for the Electric Scooter or Bike".

@cvc, that is a good recommendation for Sealed Lead Acid batteries, which our OP was probably referring to. If the battery packs are removable, as many are in today's scooters & ebikes, it helps to store & charge the packs at an average room temperature rather than leaving them or charging them in a really hot or cold garage or storage space. Both ends of the temperature spectrum yield poorer charges that don't reflect a truly full SLA battery.

Reactions: cvc
Electric Bike into Storage, ensure that the Batteries are Fully Charged before going into Storage.
And Recharge the Batteries at least once every 3 months while in Storage.

ABSOLUTE BULLS PIZZLE!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG when using any lithium battery

This Chart shows how undercharging can affect the overall battier life.

If you are not riding for a number of months check the battery every few months to make sure it has not drained completely dead. If you find it going below 50% plugging it into a charger for a half an hour but don't fully charge it.

Basically, rechargeable batteries like to be used regularly and sitting dormant is not ideal. But due to seasonal riding, this can't be avoided. Give them a little love over the winter and hopefully they will last a little longer.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-03-at-11.28.44-AM.png

If it's possible, I like to run the battery for 10-15 minutes every few weeks to break down some of the interfacial reactions occurring inside the battery, then charge it up again to 60-80%. Even just propping the bike up and hitting the throttle or something similar.

Back