Will a Thule EasyFold XT 2 fit a 2020/2021 Superdelite?

amayers

Region
USA
I have a Thule EasyFold XT 2 bike rack from my previous bikes. I'm getting a 2021 Superdelite with GX package in the medium frame size in a couple weeks. I'm trying to decide if I should just have the bike shop deliver the bike to my house or if I can go and pick it up. It is a $250 delivery charge, vs a 5 hour round trip in the car to the bike shop. I'm a bit worried that my rack won't fit the Superdelite, mainly around the arm that clamps to the bike frame/seat post. According to the specs it should fit the wheelbase ok, and I'll remove the batteries and use the transport covers. I'm driving a Tesla Model Y, so I may be able to squeeze the bike into the hatch, if I had to. But I'm not confident about that being doable, since I don't see any overall height numbers on the bike.

Has anyone used a XT 2 with a 2020/2021 Superdelite?

Last edited:
Yes it will. I have the large size frame with the GX option and the same EasyFold. The standard wheel straps on the EasyFold will engage OK but it's a bit fiddly to get right if you are doing it on your own. If you have someone to hold the bike or a smaller frame size, then, I would think it will be easier. I decided longer straps would be better so got the 'Fat Boy' straps that Thule do and it has made it easier for me. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to show where I put the clamp but it's across the frame where it straddles the rear shock.

Yes it will. I have the large size frame with the GX option and the same EasyFold. The standard wheel straps on the EasyFold will engage OK but it's a bit fiddly to get right if you are doing it on your own. If you have someone to hold the bike or a smaller frame size, then, I would think it will be easier. I decided longer straps would be better so got the 'Fat Boy' straps that Thule do and it has made it easier for me. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to show where I put the clamp but it's across the frame where it straddles the rear shock.
So you put the clamp in the red or blue area? If it was the red, did you have to relocate the lock (not pictured here)? It looks tight from the pics, but maybe the lock will mount down by the rear shock on those bolts? I updated the post, I got the medium size frame. I'll look into ordering the larger straps for the tires.
superdelitetouringhstundragreymatt.png

I clamp in the middle between the red and blue and it is tight to get the angle of the clamp arm right. Give me a day and I'll stick the rack on and take some pictures for you.
Oh how I wish I could do that for real and take the bike to somewhere else for a ride!! Another month to go......

I clamp in the middle between the red and blue and it is tight to get the angle of the clamp arm right. Give me a day and I'll stick the rack on and take some pictures for you.
Oh how I wish I could do that for real and take the bike to somewhere else for a ride!! Another month to go......
That’s super nice of you. Thanks!

Once you have gone through the effort to get it on there, please take a handful of pics of both the arm mount as well as where the wheels sit on the rack.

That’s super nice of you. Thanks!

Once you have gone through the effort to get it on there, please take a handful of pics of both the arm mount as well as where the wheels sit on the rack.
A little later than I said due to rain but here they are.
The secret ingredient is some double sided Velcro to hold the back brake on. Makes it so much easier getting the bike in the right position and holding it there whilst you get the clamp on.

20210320_111341.jpg

So this is the Thule Easy Fold XT2 with Fatbike wheel straps and a large frame SD with GX option.
20210320_114550.jpg

20210320_114502.jpg

20210320_114429.jpg

20210320_111224.jpg

20210320_111302.jpg

20210320_111237.jpg

20210320_111440.jpg

20210320_111310.jpg

20210320_111242.jpg

20210320_111250.jpg

And this is the difference between the standard wheel straps and the Fatbike straps.
20210320_111818.jpg

Last edited:
This is the same rack I have, but I see a component in yours that is different from mine - looks like a gray swingarm or other part ? (Long gray part between car and bike)
Cannot really make it out - I know the racks sold in Europe have lighting installed, North America not; but this is also different

Attachments

• 3F5BC495-4BFD-42F3-B085-AD9F8E128D94.jpeg
    3F5BC495-4BFD-42F3-B085-AD9F8E128D94.jpeg
    664.9 KB · Views: 392
A little later than I said due to rain but here they are.
The secret ingredient is some double sided Velcro to hold the back brake on. Makes it so much easier getting the bike in the right position and holding it there whilst you get the clamp on.

View attachment 82130
So this is the Thule Easy Fold XT2 with Fatbike wheel straps and a large frame SD with GX option.
View attachment 82131
View attachment 82132
View attachment 82133
View attachment 82135
View attachment 82136
View attachment 82143
View attachment 82137
View attachment 82138
View attachment 82139
View attachment 82140
And this is the difference between the standard wheel straps and the Fatbike straps.
View attachment 82134
Thanks so much. I've got a set of the longer straps on order now. Long term, I may get my brother to modify the pipe on the Thule so that it is taller, and maybe add some cross bars and such, depending on how it fits with my wife's bike. He owns a metal working company, so it will be trivial for him. Cause it appears that if it was a tad taller, you could raise where you clamp the bike a couple inches, and have a more secure grip on the seat post. But it will definitely do for now. Thanks for saving me $250!

Those pictures also answered a question I had about relocating the factory lock, to the lower mounting point. I hadn't seen anyone do that, and didn't know if it was too close to the rear shock or not. But with it relocated, and a taller pipe on the rack, there seems to be plenty of room to grab the bike.

This is the same rack I have, but I see a component in yours that is different from mine - looks like a gray swingarm or other part ? (Long gray part between car and bike)
Cannot really make it out - I know the racks sold in Europe have lighting installed, North America not; but this is also different
That's the leaver for the ball hitch clamp. I must admit I never considered that something with the same name could be entirely different in other territories.

Thanks so much. I've got a set of the longer straps on order now. Long term, I may get my brother to modify the pipe on the Thule so that it is taller, and maybe add some cross bars and such, depending on how it fits with my wife's bike. He owns a metal working company, so it will be trivial for him. Cause it appears that if it was a tad taller, you could raise where you clamp the bike a couple inches, and have a more secure grip on the seat post. But it will definitely do for now. Thanks for saving me $250!

Those pictures also answered a question I had about relocating the factory lock, to the lower mounting point. I hadn't seen anyone do that, and didn't know if it was too close to the rear shock or not. But with it relocated, and a taller pipe on the rack, there seems to be plenty of room to grab the bike.
I agree with you regarding a taller frame on the rack and think that just an inch would make all the difference in getting a better angle on the seat tube.

d
That's the leaver for the ball hitch clamp. I must admit I never considered that something with the same name could be entirely different in other territories.
Ah, I mount mine directly into a 2" hitch receiver, do not mount onto a ball.
I must confess that as I drive down the road with $ 8000 worth of bikes dangling on a platform I do not think I will ever Get rid of the fear of the whole thing ending up in the middle of the road behind me in a crumpled mess, on top of the harm and injury that may come to others

Ah, I mount mine directly into a 2" hitch receiver, do not mount onto a ball.
I must confess that as I drive down the road with $ 8000 worth of bikes dangling on a platform I do not think I will ever Get rid of the fear of the whole thing ending up in the middle of the road behind me in a crumpled mess, on top of the harm and injury that may come to others
😂 Clamp it on to a ball and marvel at WHY! it doesn't end up in a heap behind you 🤣

I have a Thule EasyFold XT 2 bike rack from my previous bikes. I'm getting a 2021 Superdelite with GX package in the medium frame size in a couple weeks. I'm trying to decide if I should just have the bike shop deliver the bike to my house or if I can go and pick it up. It is a $250 delivery charge, vs a 5 hour round trip in the car to the bike shop. I'm a bit worried that my rack won't fit the Superdelite, mainly around the arm that clamps to the bike frame/seat post. According to the specs it should fit the wheelbase ok, and I'll remove the batteries and use the transport covers. I'm driving a Tesla Model Y, so I may be able to squeeze the bike into the hatch, if I had to. But I'm not confident about that being doable, since I don't see any overall height numbers on the bike.

Has anyone used a XT 2 with a 2020/2021 Superdelite?

Attachments

• DA32C202-2F75-4B27-9CBB-18E89CDF3999.jpeg
    DA32C202-2F75-4B27-9CBB-18E89CDF3999.jpeg
    712.2 KB · Views: 405
Here is a photo of my wife’s new Nevo 3 on the Thule rack if that helps. I also use it for my 49 cm Charger 3. I know the wheelbase of the superdelite is slightly bigger but I think it should fit ok. I am thinking of upgrading my Charger 3 to the SD.

Funny you should ask...

I haven't carried my 2020 SD on our Thule XT2 rack for months. This morning an unexpected need presented itself.....

FWIW: the bike is the 54cm frame, GX variant, and, as you can see, the standard length wheel straps are fine. The longer straps would be a little easier to use, but these are working OK for me.

IMG_2572 copy.jpeg
IMG_2573 copy.jpeg

Interesting thread. I got my SD last June (2020). I wanter to get the XT2 but the wheelbase on the large frame was 71 inches which exceeded the limits on the XT2 so I began a search--very frustrating. Finally the place where I bought my Bike suggested that I check out the 1UP. I did and wow. What a nice rack. No contact with frame whatsoever. Secure hold and no plastic. Only downside--but minor for me; I removed the rear fender (though they make a accessory that works with the fender). But I am surprised that the large frame works fine with the XT2. I hope that exceeding the specs does not make a loophole in the warranty.

Well UPS just rolled up with my Fat Bike straps. I picked up the bike yesterday, and like y'all said, it works ok without the longer straps. But there isn't much length to spare.

Back