Wich speed pedelec?

Oh, sure I do:

I'm not sure you have understood my English though. I'd also like to know how many miles you have ridden on Specialized Vado or Trek Allant+ S e-bikes you have criticized.
Oh, sure I do:

I'm not sure you have understood my English though. I'd also like to know how many miles you have ridden on Specialized Vado or Trek Allant+ S e-bikes you have criticized.
Very good point Stefan.

I would like to point out though that I am in favor of diversity of opinion from everyone regardless whether that person has a prefabricated number of miles ridden on a particular brand of ebike.

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and often they express them. However some members are hyper sensitive and take it personal when another member espouses negative opinions of a particular brand or component despite not owning it but having researched it thoroughly.

It’s very unfortunate that some people on this forum who I have respected and learned a great deal from now wish to restrict speech in these forums. Speech that they have greatly benefited from in the past but now wish to suppress others. Some even own their own start-up boutique ebike companies that they surely wouldn’t have been able to get such a following had their speech been restricted to the brands they own.

Perhaps we should restrict ebike company owners to commenting/posting only on their own brand? Perhaps we should restrict ebike company owners from promoting the benefits of components such as rohloff if the ebike they sell has a rohloff drivetrain?

Censorship on public forums is a very slippery slope and invariably backfires on those who promote it. In fact, when censorship exists it ceases to become a public forum. A forum is a free exchange of ideas and opinions.

The only things that should be censored and restricted on EBR are personal attacks and politics. The only member who has made personal attacks in this thread is unfortunately @Johnny.

Consequently I had no choice but to add him to my ignore list.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
- Aristotle

edit: I apologize to @Alaskan as I thought I was being accused of making personal attacks in the thread. I’ll edit my post to remove my comment about @Alaskan as it was unwarranted and undeserved.

Last edited:
Very good point Stefan.

I would like to point out though that I am in favor of diversity of opinion from everyone regardless whether that person has a prefabricated number of miles ridden on a particular brand of ebike.

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and often they express them. However some members are hyper sensitive and take it personal when another member espouses negative opinions of a particular brand or component despite not owning it but having researched it thoroughly.

It’s very unfortunate that some people on this forum who I have respected and learned a great deal from now wish to restrict speech in these forums. Speech that they have greatly benefited from in the past but now wish to suppress others. Some even own their own start-up boutique ebike companies that they surely wouldn’t have been able to get such a following had their speech been restricted to the brands they own.

Perhaps we should restrict ebike company owners to commenting/posting only on their own brand? Perhaps we should restrict ebike company owners from promoting the benefits of components such as rohloff if the ebike they sell has a rohloff drivetrain?

Censorship on public forums is a very slippery slope and invariably backfires on those who promote it. In fact, when censorship exists it ceases to become a public forum. A forum is a free exchange of ideas and opinions.

The only things that should be censored and restricted on EBR are personal attacks and politics. The only member who has made personal attacks in this thread is unfortunately @Johnny.

Consequently I had no choice but to add him to my ignore list.

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
- Aristotle

edit: I apologize to @Alaskan as I thought I was being accused of making personal attacks in the thread. I’ll edit my post to remove my comment about @Alaskan as it was unwarranted and undeserved.
Hi Akrotiri, I appreciate your attempt to "lower the temperature" of some heated debates in this forum. Kudos.
However restriction of anyones speech would invariably lead to that slippery slope you speak of.
How about we suggest that people only speak of experience they've had with bikes/gear they've actually owned and suggest that one refrain from hearsay and disparaging evaluations based on bad faith arguments not based in in person experience? I believe it is valuable info to hear from owners and manufacturers. The "rules of engagement" are clearly laid out in the etiquette thread written by Court. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/ebr-etiquette-please-be-kind.1952/
Let's not make it more complicated than it needs to be :) ;)

Hi Akrotiri, I appreciate your attempt to "lower the temperature" of some heated debates in this forum. Kudos.
However restriction of anyones speech would invariably lead to that slippery slope you speak of.
How about we suggest that people only speak of experience they've had with bikes/gear they've actually owned and suggest that one refrain from hearsay and disparaging evaluations based on bad faith arguments not based in in person experience? I believe it is valuable info to hear from owners and manufacturers. The "rules of engagement" are clearly laid out in the etiquette thread written by Court. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/ebr-etiquette-please-be-kind.1952/
@Petropoliskhan I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish here. However if I have read numerous reports from others about a particular component failure or a company that is regularly failing to deliver the kind of service that they should, I do not think it is right that we all remain silent on the topic when responding to a new member's request for guidance.

I think it is reasonable to ask that people let folks know when their statement is based on what they have read versus what they have ridden but again, enforcement is not really feasible. Besides any attempt to limit or dictate everyone's speech treads dangerous close to censorship, groupthink or thought control. This would reduce the value of guidance provided here.

Perhaps a statement like, " I have not ridden or owned one of these bikes. However I have read in numerous posts in this forum from Brand X bike owners that they are not getting the kind of service they should. Before you commit to a Brand X bike, you would be wise to search the Brand X forum here and search elsewhere on the internet to verify these assertions.".

Each of has the right to either speak out or use the ignore button. Personally, I prefer this kind of individual choice rather than top down dictates. Let the moderators make the call if someone steps over the line with profanity, personal attack or other violation of the forum rules, otherwise just hit ignore on those who violate your personal chosen boundaries.

Last edited:
@Petropoliskhan I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish here. However if I have read numerous reports from others about a particular component failure or a company that is regularly failing to deliver the kind of service that they should, I do not think it is right that we all remain silent on the topic when responding to a new member's request for guidance.

I think it is reasonable to ask that people let folks know when their statement is based on what they have read versus what they have ridden but again, enforcement is not really feasible. Besides any attempt to limit or dictate everyone's speech treads dangerous close to censorship, groupthink or thought control. This would reduce the value of guidance provided here.

Perhaps a statement like, " I have not ridden or owned one of these bikes. However I have read in numerous posts in this forum from Brand X bike owners that they are not getting the kind of service they should. Before you commit to a Brand X bike, you would be wise to search the Brand X forum here and search elsewhere on the internet to verify these assertions.".

Each of has the right to either speak out or use the ignore button. Personally, I prefer this kind of individual choice rather than top down dictates. Let the moderators make the call if someone steps over the line with profanity, personal attack or other violation of the forum rules, otherwise just hit ignore on those who violate your personal chosen boundaries.
Hey Alaskan, You & I are close to a consensus . I'm gonna go ahead and say that this:

"I think it is reasonable to ask that people let folks know when their statement is based on what they have read versus what they have ridden but again, enforcement is not really feasible. Besides any attempt to limit or dictate everyone's speech treads dangerous close to censorship, groupthink or thought control. This would reduce the value of guidance provided here.

Words of wisdom!
PS: apologies for bad formatting of my reply

Oh, sure I do:

Stefan, I can no longer give you the benefit of the doubt. I never came to any conclusions on reliability or warranty process of Specialized vado or Trek allant because I have not owned them and I can not come to such conclusions based on my test rides. My statements were all in the line of "if I did what you did I should be bashing vado because of belt falilures, cracked frames or allant because of hub failures". I even stated that trek and specialized are good at backing up their products.

Since the beginning of this thread there are several individuals, including you, constantly bashing Stromer because of reliability and warranty. It turns out none of these individuals have ever owned a stromer, hence never went through those issues or warranty process. You also had several further false claims that we have already addressed. If an individual who has no warranty experience still making claims of warranty process even after being told by an owner that his recent first hand experience clearly is the opposite, is wrong. When it comes to a brand he is a fan of, the same individual blames part manufacturer instead of the bike manufacturer for the warranty process of a brand new bike. Spotting and ignoring these posts are easy for experienced people, for newcomers it is not.

I am not supporting censorship, I am not asking for one, yet establishing some ground rules before posting, at least for the sections for new members, is important. Otherwise a company can hire several individuals who will simply flood the forums and demote the competition.

Last edited:
I appreciate and respect your comments.

However I have to disagree about the part that members be restricted to commenting and offering their opinions on hardware, drivetrains & brands they don’t own.

That simply wouldn’t be an ideal way to operate a public special interest forum on the internet in 2021.

If that were the case in fact you would be restricted to less than 7 people on EBR who also have stromers. If you’re having problems with your ebike and finding no help from dealers having only 5-7 current owners or less would severely limit the help you would need to get your ebike back up and running.

Of course it would be worthwhile when someone is offering advice to acknowledge whether he/she owns or has owned the particular brand or component being discussed. I agree with that.

Last edited:
I'd like to make another summary for Marco:

Find a Specialized, a Trek, and Cube representative (Dealer, Local Bike Shop) in your area. The one closest to you (with good reputation) should dictate your choice. Seriously. (I doubt if you find a Stromer dealer but could be wrong).

(Akrotiri: The best LBS in my area is Specialized Brand Store, 40 km away. Another LBS carries Specialized and Trek: I won't buy from them again even if they are located closer).
We have have a stromer dealer nearby.

Forgot to mention that the stromer is known to be unreliable with electrical issues and connectivity dilemmas. Also, the hub motor makes it extremely difficult to change the tire should you get a flat.

The R&M rohloff is only warrantied for the first 1000miles and after that anything and everything that goes wrong you have to pay out of pocket. Should you decide to pay that for repairs it has to be sent to Germany since it’s a closed system and only there can it be fixed. Common down time for rohloffs are 2-3 months - pre-pandemic.
Thank you i have send an email to my dealer and RM about this.
for this kind of money you want better warranty.

Hi everone, I bought the stromer ST5 because of several things. I have a dealer nearby and it drives much better than the other bikes that i tested for community.
also the bike is very good looking:)
About the maintenance i have a monthly appointment for that at my dealershop.

i will not drive in the rain of snowy weather, so the maintenance will not so very high i hope.

I bought the stromer ST5 because of several things. I have a dealer nearby and it drives much better than the other bikes that i tested for community.

Good for you, Marco. it's a great bike and nothing beats a personal test ride.
Internet reading is one thing but personal experience is much more valuable. ST5 would be a fantastic commuting vehicle and you will thoroughly enjoy it. Don't forget to add the Kinekt seatpost.

Back