Wich speed pedelec?

Marco78

Region
Europe
Hello everyone,

i need your advice.
I’am looking for an speed pedelec, but i don’t no which brand e-bike is the best for me.
this bike will be used for daily drive. the distance is about 54km (34miles) a day total.

what is better belt drive or chain? The bike will always stay inside.

I have looked at these bikes.

cube kathmandu hybrid pro 625
stromer st3
riese & muller super delite or supercharger 2
trek allant +9.9s

What brand do you recommend?

thank you for your reply.

Ciao Marco

Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 and that's my last word :) Totally silent Specialized/Brose motor of 90 Nm torque, made for speed.

Cube Kathmandu is a 25 km/h e-bike.
Stromer is illegal in the EU (only legal in Switzerland). Very heavy hub Direct Drive: a tragedy if you want to fix a flat.
Riese & Muller (HS version): extremely expensive and long waiting time but why not?
Trek Allant+ 9.9s: Equivalent to Vado 6.0, far more expensive, carbon frame (that is not under warranty). Why not?

In case of R&M, invest in Nyon 2021 display. In case of Allant you don't have much choice on display selection.

Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 and that's my last word :) Totally silent Specialized/Brose motor of 90 Nm torque, made for speed.

Stromer is illegal in the EU (only legal in Switzerland). Very heavy hub Direct Drive: a tragedy if you want to fix a flat.
Riese & Muller (HS version): extremely expensive and long waiting time but why not?
Trek Allant+ 9.9s: Equivalent to Vado 6.0, far more expensive, carbon frame (that is not under warranty). Why not?

In case of R&M, invest in Nyon 2021 display. In case of Allant you don't have much choice on display selection.
Stefan, I believe the Cube Kathmandu is available as 45kph s-pedelec as well.

@ Marco78. Basically you can’t go wrong with any of those s-pedelecs since their all quite top of the line. The specialized Vado 6.0 is also a good choice as Stefan mentioned and is worth a look along with the others.

Based on your choices I’m going to assume price isn’t a concern so I will refrain from comparing pricing and value.

However, some of the companies have notably better service than others. Paying top dollar/euro doesn’t always guarantee great customer service unfortunately.

Checking the forums in each manufacturers sub-forum will give you a very clear idea which ones are the most responsive & helpful to their customers when maintenance & repairs are needed. I won’t opine on it so as not to derail the thread.

I'd like to make another summary for Marco:

Find a Specialized, a Trek, and Cube representative (Dealer, Local Bike Shop) in your area. The one closest to you (with good reputation) should dictate your choice. Seriously. (I doubt if you find a Stromer dealer but could be wrong).

(Akrotiri: The best LBS in my area is Specialized Brand Store, 40 km away. Another LBS carries Specialized and Trek: I won't buy from them again even if they are located closer).

A
I'd like to make another summary for Marco:

Find a Specialized, a Trek, and Cube representative (Dealer, Local Bike Shop) in your area. The one closest to you (with good reputation) should dictate your choice. Seriously. (I doubt if you find a Stromer dealer but could be wrong).

(Akrotiri: The best LBS in my area is Specialized Brand Store, 40 km away. Another LBS carries Specialized and Trek: I won't buy from them again even if they are located closer).
As long as the OP stays away from the Stromer he’ll do fine imo.

Given the LBS is close by ST3 is by far the best commuter compared to all of the other choices. Especially for a 34mile roundtrip everyday.

A second choice would probably be RM with rohloff, will be slower but will need very little maintenance.

Hello everyone,

i need your advice.
I’am looking for an speed pedelec, but i don’t no which brand e-bike is the best for me.
this bike will be used for daily drive. the distance is about 54km (34miles) a day total.

what is better belt drive or chain? The bike will always stay inside.

I have looked at these bikes.

cube kathmandu hybrid pro 625
stromer st3
riese & muller super delite or supercharger 2
trek allant +9.9s

What brand do you recommend?

thank you for your reply.

Ciao Marco
Forgot to mention that the stromer is known to be unreliable with electrical issues and connectivity dilemmas. Also, the hub motor makes it extremely difficult to change the tire should you get a flat.

The R&M rohloff is only warrantied for the first 1000miles and after that anything and everything that goes wrong you have to pay out of pocket. Should you decide to pay that for repairs it has to be sent to Germany since it’s a closed system and only there can it be fixed. Common down time for rohloffs are 2-3 months - pre-pandemic.

Regarding the Specialized Vado 6.0: It may be a different model number available in U.S. On the Specialized website the highest number available is the Vado 5.0. I suspect it’s the same as the 6.0 that is available in other countries.
My 6.0 is a 2018 but Specialized may have changed the numbers the following year. I haven’t compare each component between my 6.0 and the current 5.0. Maybe Court’s reviews might be helpful.

I don't know why there is a trend of criticizing bikes when you have never ridden a similar bike with similar components?

If the bike has a similar drivetrain, motor etc. that is understandable but otherwise what is the point?

I don't know why there is a trend of criticizing bikes when you have never ridden a similar bike with similar components?

If the bike has a similar drivetrain, motor etc. that is understandable but otherwise what is the point?
It's a simple matter of reading about issues. I guess if you never believe anything you read about someone else having problems, nearly every model would all be perfect to buy.

I don’t why there is a trend of you assuming what bikes I have or have ridden.

Not sure why you think people other than you aren’t allowed to participate in the forums without being personally attacked.

If you have a contrasting viewpoint , state it without ad-hominem attacks and move on. Act like an adult, toughen up and don’t take things so personally when someone has a different viewpoint than you.

This is my final correspondence with you as I have put you on my ignore list.

Last edited:

Stefan - Trek Warranty quoted from their site

Trek/Bontrager/Electra/Diamant Limited Warranty​

We've Got You Covered
We provide a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship for all original equipment and aftermarket products, as specified below.

First Things First
Contact an authorized retailer or distributor to initiate a warranty claim. Proof of purchase is required. Click here to find a retailer near you.

Lifetime
Framesets (frame and rigid fork), main frame, and full suspension swing arms for the lifetime of the original owner
Bontrager wheels with carbon rims

2 Years
Apparel
Parts and accessories
Rear suspension linkage components, including bearings, rocker link, and accompanying hardware and components
Bontrager wheels with alloy rims
Paint and decals

Subsequent Ownership
Subsequent owners (second or later) are entitled to a three-year warranty from the date of original purchase from the retailer. Proof of original purchase is required to validate the coverage period.

This Warranty Does Not Cover
Normal wear and tear
Improper assembly
Corrosion
Improper maintenance
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold
Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
Non-proprietary products (any other original part or component) covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty

This warranty applies to:
• All model year 2020 and newer bicycle

I don’t why there is a trend of you assuming what bikes I have or have ridden.

Not sure why you think people other than you aren’t allowed to participate in the forums without being personally attacked.

If you have a contrasting viewpoint , state it without ad-hominem attacks and move on. Act like an adult, toughen up and don’t take things so personally when someone has a different viewpoint than you.

This is my final correspondence with you as I have put you on my ignore list.

You are the one who quoted me, I don't even talk to you.
And you should take your own advice all the things you have listed are the things you do over and over again.

Last edited:
It's a simple matter of reading about issues. I guess if you never believe anything you read about someone else having problems, nearly every model would all be perfect to buy.
It is a simple matter of coming to conclusions without having enough data. Pointing out other people's experiences one thing(which you can point to the posts where people are having problems), being a fan and constantly coming to conclusions about a product while never having an experience of failure about the product is another.

Should I constantly write about specialized frames cracking, brose mid drives having belt issues, rohloff is leaking, bosch cx having bearing failures, allant 9.9 having rear hub problems ?

Last edited:
Okay, I own two of the bikes you are looking at, I have a 2018 Riese & Muller Delite Mountain with derailleur and a 2020 Trek Allant+9.9s.

I also used to have a Cube Touring Hybrid 500 Ecx. The Cube was a solid bike with some good components, some not so much. and not particularly comfortable.

The Delite is like a Mercedes SUV, solid, capable, trustworthy with a unique design, can be ordered with dual batteries for long range trips, has top tier components and a dream to ride, supremely comfortable. However R&M service is inconsistent, depending entirely on the quality and service commitment of the dealer you buy it from.

The Trek Allant 9.9 is a total joy to ride, more like driving a sports car than a SUV. Great component choices, solid drive train, second battery option for a total of 1125 watts and component choices and the best warranty in the bike business. Personally I would go for the Trek in your situation. I did add a few customization to take the drive train up a notch, including a 1-51 tooth 12 speed Shimano cassette, a Sram AXS wireless 12 speed derailleur and an Onzx, silent, instant engagement rear hub. The original shimano microspline hub was probematic for me as it has been for several others. Trek was really good about getting after it and upgraded the hub for me at minimal cost.

For a commuting bike that has to get you to work reliably, based on my experience, I would go with the Trek. Not only is it a very capable, fast and fun bike but it is a very reliable bike with the best LBS support I have seen. They really seem to care about keeping my bike running well and get right on the infrequent problems that have arisen.

20200711_131253.jpg

20200715_152329 - Copy.jpg

Back