Why no discussions about clipless pedals on ebikes

While there is plenty of pedaling going on with an Ebike pedal efficiency is sort of an oxymoron with an Ebike.
Clipless pedals are designed to promote pedal efficiency but with a Ebike that efficiency is not necessary due to the motor.
You don't need to maximise every pedal stroke when you have a motor backing you up

While there is plenty of pedaling going on with an Ebike pedal efficiency is sort of an oxymoron with an Ebike.
Clipless pedals are designed to promote pedal efficiency but with a Ebike that efficiency is not necessary due to the motor.
You don't need to maximise every pedal stroke when you have a motor backing you up

Efficiency is good but there's little evidence you'll get any more from clipless. Efficiency = more range, less charging, less wear on battery.

The biggest advantage I see with clipless on my road bikes is when climbing out of the saddle. I am not sure I'd be able to do that if I weren't clipped in. Then again, I am somewhat of a klutz. ;) I don't see as much advantage for utility riding, cruising, or MTBing, but for fast road rides, I do think they help with keeping an efficient and smooth spinning motion. I have been using them for 25 years or so, though, so I'm perhaps a bit biased. I use Eggbeaters Candies with recessed cleats so no problem walking off the bike. To each his or her own, of course.

I use clip-less mostly, and it feels ‘off’ when using the flat side of the Shimano pedals. My rides are country roads. Still, many here commute And with frequent stops would find clip-less annoying. In June I bought a pair of biking sandals...what a relief on these hot rides

The biggest advantage I see with clipless on my road bikes is when climbing out of the saddle. I am not sure I'd be able to do that if I weren't clipped in.
1597176541841.png

How many times do I need to repeat the "spiked" platform pedals with proper shoes are as good as the clipless ones but with the downsides of the clipless? MTB cyclists spend most of their ride time out-of-saddle... Most of them don't use clipless pedals anymore. See Electric Mountain Bike Network channel on YT.

While both SPD-SL rides of mine ended with serious damage and injuries.

Efficiency is good but there's little evidence you'll get any more from clipless. Efficiency = more range, less charging, less wear on battery.

I imagine Ebikers are less concerned about wear on the battery and more concerned about wear on themselves. When the dust settles, batteries and motors are consumable and can be replaced, but the human parts of the drivetrain are not readily interchangeable.

Ebikes are made to increase / enhance the rideers ability. The motor and battery are able to keep many in the biking game that otherwise would not ride.

A competitive rider may feel/need/want the advantages of clipless, however the Ebike rider has all the enhancement they need via the battery and motor

Not doubting what you say for MTBing at all, Stefan. I am a road rider, though. There aren't many of us using spiked platform pedals. And if you're talking about tearing up your legs with clipless pedals and taking a fall, spiked pedals can result in some nasty cuts to the legs if you fall in bare legs/bike shorts.

But I didn't come here to argue. I was simply curious if people riding road or urban-style e-bikes ever used clipless pedals. I would certainly be open to trying flat pedals on my future e-bike, but if they don't work for me, I wanted to see if clipless would even be feasible with an e-bike from a technical perspective.

A great editorial:

Clipless pedals are fine on an e-bike, @EmilyRides, there's no reason they wouldn't work. More generally though, I think if you have flat pedals on and learn to enjoy them, then you'll be more apt to take your ebike on all kinds of rides, instead of just the kinds of rides you'd take for a road bike. Everyone seems to say they use their ebike a lot more than they anticipated.

Not doubting what you say for MTBing at all, Stefan. I am a road rider, though. There aren't many of us using spiked platform pedals. And if you're talking about tearing up your legs with clipless pedals and taking a fall, spiked pedals can result in some nasty cuts to the legs if you fall in bare legs/bike shorts.

But I didn't come here to argue. I was simply curious if people riding road or urban-style e-bikes ever used clipless pedals. I would certainly be open to trying flat pedals on my future e-bike, but if they don't work for me, I wanted to see if clipless would even be feasible with an e-bike from a technical perspective.
Emily, you are talking of ACOUSTIC roadies. A roadie gets on the saddle and does not leave it for two hundred kilometres. E-biking is entirely different world.

I agree the spiked platform pedals can hurt your shins and calves. For that reason, I'm giving my safe Race Face Rides to my gf. She has too gorgeous legs to hurt them.

P.S. My Shimano SPD-MTB pedals and Shimano SPD-MTB shoes here grow with dust. I might use them some day. At least the MTB clipless variety is far safer.

Last edited:
My wife and I still enjoy our Shimano EH500 'campus' pedals, clipless on one side, flats on the second.

shopping (4).jpeg

Clipless on one side...
shopping (3).jpeg

...flats on the second.

We use the flats for errands, the clipless for longer rides.

BTW - did a couple of dozen miles on our mech bikes today, all clipless as we have have done for an equal number of years. YRMV...😎

clipless on one side, flats on the second.
...And if these MTB pedals are ridden on the flat side, they are no match to good platform ones :)

If Emily wants to buy an e-road bike and still stay in the saddle for hours, then nobody can forbid her riding in SPD-SL or like.

P.S. I have overlooked an important argument against using road-cycling SPDs on e-bike. A roadie climbs out of the saddle to add more power on climbing or to accelerate for sprint. e-bike has an equivalent for that. That's the Turbo button. And that's how I'm overtaking roadies on e-bike. I don't need to climb out of the saddle...

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of being clipped into my bike. Back in the day, using clips on my ten-speed was often a pain, but of course it was expected, so everybody used them. People said, so you can pull up on the upswing. But really, did I gain much on the upswing? I don't think so. I wasn't racing around a velodrome or riding the tour de anywhere. I really appreciate the freedom of just hopping on my ebike in plain ol' tennis shoes and going for a ride. And I like knowing I can jump clear if I were to crash, though I haven't crashed since I was 7. (knock on wood!)

I have a set of SPD pedals similar to the PD-EH500s that Siearratim showed in his post, but mine, on the non-clip side, are flat-no "spikes".
If I can actually find a set to buy I'll get a set for my new Cannondale Neo Lefty 3, so I can ride the trails using the flat side of the pedal and not have my foot slip off when I hit a bump.
I wish the online bike stores, like Chain Reaction and Wiggle, still sold Shimano products to customers in North America. Anyone know of an online store in North America that sells Shimano products for a decent price?

...And if these MTB pedals are ridden on the flat side, they are no match to good platform ones :)

If Emily wants to buy an e-road bike and still stay in the saddle for hours, then nobody can forbid her riding in SPD-SL or like.

P.S. I have overlooked an important argument against using road-cycling SPDs on e-bike. A roadie climbs out of the saddle to add more power on climbing or to accelerate for sprint. e-bike has an equivalent for that. That's the Turbo button. And that's how I'm overtaking roadies on e-bike. I don't need to climb out of the saddle...
I have to admit that on some of my climbs the only way the Vado can make the hill is with me standing, even in Turbo. I prefer being clipped in for those rides...😎

BTW - My sons volunteer as coaches for the local high school MTB team. Their league has dozens of schools participating with hundreds of riders at each competition. Well over 90% use clipless pedals of one brand or another with the Shimano SPD being the most popular style. Just sayin' that SPDs aren't just for roadies...😆

I have to admit that on some of my climbs the only way the Vado can make the hill is with me standing, even in Turbo. I prefer being clipped in for those rides...😎

BTW - My sons volunteer as coaches for the local high school MTB team. Their league has dozens of schools participating with hundreds of riders at each competition.

Well over 90% use clipless pedals of one brand or another with the Shimano SPD being the most popular style. Just sayin' that SPDs aren't just for roadies...😆

I agree... I used SPD pedals and mtn shoes as a roadie for many years... got tired of seeing friends slip and fall on the floor of the local coffee shop. ;)

Proper road shoes do not provide any traction when off the bike and I like the ability to walk anywhere with SPD mountain shoes.

Yes, but they're 'aero' and make that cool click when you walk!
I agree... I used SPD pedals and mtn shoes as a roadie for many years... got tired of seeing friends slip and fall on the floor of the local coffee shop. ;)

Proper road shoes do not provide any traction when off the bike and I like the ability to walk anywhere with SPD mountain shoes.
Yes, but they're 'aero' and make that cool click when you walk!

Back