Elongated platform pedals

... the mid-position Catalyst is advocating makes a LOT of sense to me — both mechanically and physiologically. If a life in science teaches anything, it's that thoroughly entrenched conventional wisdom can be quite wrong. The good and bad news about science is that humans are involved.
Yeah every time I have gotten away from the Catalysts, I have gone back. The exception is my cleated pedals and in that case I am working with hard-soled shoes locked into the pedals, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

believe it or not, federal requirement in the united states requires that bicycles be sold with pedals that have amber reflectors front and back.

it is, however, legal to remove those as the consumer.

silly law.
They also have to have white reflectors in the spokes unless the tires have reflector stripes on them.

Thanks for the regulatory info. I enjoy night riding, and like adding pedal reflectors to my other visibility measures. Willing to bet that a small moving reflector is more eye-catching than a larger stationary one — at least to a point.
I put Redshift Archlight pedals on my ebike. The LED lights slip in easily and are white in front and red in back with three lighting modes. They have two types of pedals. I bought mine before they came out with the grippier version.

I’ve got Catalyst on my Trek Allant, but only because the store manager recommended them even though they’re not in stores. I had a few problems with clipless (age?) so thought I’d move on to flat pedals. I like them though I have nothing to compare them to. A stable platform for my big feet (13)

I put Redshift Archlight pedals on my ebike. The LED lights slip in easily and are white in front and red in back with three lighting modes. They have two types of pedals. I bought mine before they came out with the grippier version.
Thanks! Like the visibility — especially from the side — but platform dimensions are what I have now.

Thanks! Like the visibility — especially from the side — but platform dimensions are what I have now.
Yes, I figured that. The design of their new pedals is such that they could build different sized end pieces to get any size pedal one would want. I think I'll contact them about the possibility.

believe it or not, federal requirement in the united states requires that bicycles be sold with pedals that have amber reflectors front and back.

it is, however, legal to remove those as the consumer.

silly law.
Yep UK & Irl the same, reflectors on pedals and in the spokes.Bike safety legal requirement. Usually remove the spoke ones straight away and then see what pedals I'm using.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. This forum always comes through!

The Catalysts sound like my best functional option but can't justify $150 for pedals right now. So put them on the Christmas list and ordered the $35 ROCKBROS 120X104 mm pedals linked in the OP. Definitely an improvement over the 97x97s I have now. Will report back.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. This forum always comes through!

The Catalysts sound like my best functional option but can't justify $150 for pedals right now. So put them on the Christmas list and ordered the $35 ROCKBROS 120X104 mm pedals linked in the OP. Definitely an improvement over the 97x97s I have now. Will report back.
ya they are so expensive COVID really raised their prices.

I 'only' paid $100 for mine, and $150 for the bigfoot version. They're quite a bit more now
ordered the $35 ROCKBROS 120X104 mm pedals
Those are somewhat new. The ones I linked were the biggest RockBros sold when I was buying pedals, but these are bigger. Filing the link away for future reference. Definitely worth a look if I go back into the mkt again.

I 'only' paid $100 for mine, and $150 for the bigfoot version. They're quite a bit more now

Those are somewhat new. The ones I linked were the biggest RockBros sold when I was buying pedals, but these are bigger. Filing the link away for future reference. Definitely worth a look if I go back into the mkt again.
Of course, right after I ordered the ROCKBROS pedals, I noticed that the Catalyst folks offer used returns at a discount. Just sent the email to inquire.

New ROCKBROS "wide" alloy platform pedals arrived today. Impression after the first test ride (14.3 mi, 573 ft): Heck yeah!

20230611_121948.jpg

The new pedals (left) are nominally 120x104 mm (LxW), but the foot contacts actually measure 118x105 mm. The foot contacts on the stock alloy Wellgo pedals are only 90x97 mm by comparison.

That makes the new foot contacts 28 mm longer and 8 mm wider, but the size difference looks and feels even bigger. Weight feels about the same.

20230611_122315.jpg

Grip's now MUCH more secure, and it's easier for my ground foot to find a good spot on the pedal when starting out. (Brain doesn't track my feet like it used to due to peripheral neuropathy.)

Tried the mid-foot position (spindle under arch) that the even longer 143x95 mm Catalysts were designed to support with very promising results. Hard to be sure, but the Catalyst claim of better hip extensor recruitment with the mid-foot position may be more than just hype.

20230611_142955.jpg

Would have peferred pedal reflectors for night rides but can wear one of these LED slap bands on one ankle to get back some of the lost visibility.

If I ever spring for the Catalysts, I'll offer these ROCKBROS pedals to my wife.

Back