Why is there no forum for Frey bikes on the “Discussion by brand & user reviews” section of this website?

I taken a few looks at Frey's lineup over the past couple years, and it's impressive... at a glance. The power ratings of Bafang motors (usually with throttles) far exceed anything from Bosch, Yamaha, Brose or Shimano. On Frey's higher models, they use quality major components (shocks, tires and drivetrain), but geometry considerations like chainstay length, reach measurements etc. are often sub-par for my needs. These are important considerations IMO, as they can dramatically affect handling characteristics and comfort for extended off-road excursions.

For me, the true value of an eMTB is also in details like hubs, headsets, pivots, rims etc. If they even specify these parts in their marketing endeavors, they're often generic or house brands on the Chinese models I've considered, but most times they don't list them. That's where they can hide inferior production that can cut costs and allow for Maxxis tires, SRAM drivetrains and Shimano brakes. While those familiar-named major components will likely endure for hundreds of hardy trail miles, I'd be surprised if the "minor" parts do.

As someone who rides some fairly rugged trails a few times a week year-round, these minutia matter to me. IME, even "larger" brands' bikes - iZip, Raleigh, Haibike - sometimes cut proverbial corners on these important pieces of the eMTB puzzle in order to offer competitively priced models and still make a profit. I've had to replace hubs, repack bearings and other nuance repairs much sooner than I believe to be reasonable. But then again, I used to chose big brands' lower or middling models when I began getting into eMTBs five years ago.

In contrast, my Commencal eMTB now has over 1k of the hardest miles I've ever ridden, and it's holding up incredibly well, right down to the eThirteen hubs, Cane Creek headset, and enduro pivot bearings. I sold two of my "name brand" ebikes to afford it, but it's far and away the best money I've spent on my favorite form of recreation... yet! I'm currently enamored with YT's eMTB lineup, but that's another story...

Personally, I resent hi-powered, throttled eMotos - which are often disguised as eMTBs - due to their muddying legitimate access to traditional MTB trails. If I were to consider one, however, it'd be a Luna. They seem to use quality parts through and through, yet charge similar prices to brands that don't. Plus they're based in the USA and seem to back up their products well, offering extended warranties and replacement parts at fair prices, too.

And one last thought regarding motor submersion in water: the damage that can occur may not show up immediately, but the internals will likely suffer in the long run. To quote Performance Line Bearings, who do a lot of ebike motor repairs and overhauls:
Hello Jim, congrats on a fine bike. I had looked a many different bikes before ordering the FREY. For me it was by far the best bang for the dollar. Luna is nice but I had some reservations with them. I don't know which model you purchased but the FREY had superior parts dollar for dollar. I ride on Long Island so the terrain is not so bad and the FREY fits my needs perfectly. Also FREY is very proactive with its customers. They make adjustments and refinements as they grow. They are very active on another website and actually look for input from their customers. I was a little worried about wiring that kind of money to an unknown in China. But after much research I pulled the trigger and couldn't be happier. I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Hope this thread is still active. Some time ago I was exploring for the Frey eMTB and I came across someone setting up a group buy & shipping. for several Frey ebikes. I can't find the site now, but it seems that they saved 30% or so on the shipping cost. I wonder if someone who has had experience on import/export and shipping, could set up something similar. I'm in the southern California area, and I would be interested in joining in a group shipping deal. I really like the new Frey EX!

Hope this thread is still active. Some time ago I was exploring for the Frey eMTB and I came across someone setting up a group buy & shipping. for several Frey ebikes. I can't find the site now, but it seems that they saved 30% or so on the shipping cost. I wonder if someone who has had experience on import/export and shipping, could set up something similar. I'm in the southern California area, and I would be interested in joining in a group shipping deal. I really like the new Frey EX!
There is now a Frey forum with the information you need, or to get additional info. The bulk buys happen periodically, Frey organizes many to the US themselves now.

Back