Why is there no forum for Frey bikes on the “Discussion by brand & user reviews” section of this website?

I’m thinking of buying a Frey bike. They seem comparable to the $4k-$6k bikes but at half the price and with bigger, stronger, Bafang motors and batteries. Even after paying for shipping from China it seems like the best deal on a high quality bike. Thoughts?

What did you want to know about them?
They're a direct seller in China, selling on alibaba or aliexpress.

And yeah, 'half price' and 'high quality' seem mutually exclusive. 😁

I think the lower price is driven by the fact that there is no middle man. You buy directly directly from the factory. In doing so you sacrifice the support you would get from the middleman (i.e. the US-based dealer). But you pocket the money which that dealer would ordinarily profit. You also have to pay shipping from China — $550 by sea or $800 by air, and you have to wait for the bike to be shipped (45 days by sea or 10 days by air). It appears to be a good option. I‘m sure there is a reason the bikes don’t get reviewed on this site, but they, and their factory, are extensively reviewed at electrek.co. I want Bafang Ultra and 21 amp battery with quality components, and this seems like it will come, even after shipping, about $1,300 dollars cheaper than the closest domestic alternative, which seems to be Biktrix.

I once saw a guy riding a Frey under water,hell of a thing....lol
I'm going to take a chance with them,my next bike will be an HT,its the only way I can afford an ultra
equipped bike!

this guy is still riding around on this bike today,they cant be that bad.

I don't think Frey does anything in particular to seal the Bafang Ultra motors so that's more indicative of Bafang. That said, Frey does put quality components on their bikes. I think the reason why there is no Frey section here is because EBR hasn't reviewed any of their bikes but I agree it would be nice to have a Frey section.

What did you want to know about them?
They're a direct seller in China, selling on alibaba or aliexpress.

And yeah, 'half price' and 'high quality' seem mutually exclusive. 😁
In terms of quality maybe Bafang motors aren't your thing but take a look at the CC or EX models and tell us what concerns you from a quality perspective. You're not going to have the same level of service you would buying from a local bike shop and everything that goes into the cost of name brand bikes which probably accounts for 50% of their price but that's different than quality.

In terms of quality maybe Bafang motors aren't your thing but take a look at the CC or EX models and tell us what concerns you from a quality perspective. You're not going to have the same level of service you would buying from a local bike shop and everything that goes into the cost of name brand bikes which probably accounts for 50% of their price but that's different than quality.

I don't know why you would say a motor is 'not my thing', I have one. Either way, the motor is not the whole bike. If there are good third-party accessories, all the better.

The quality may look just fine 'till you find some failure down the road, something of a proprietary design, maybe poor metallurgy or design, that creates some kind of breakdown, and there you are like on an island with a language barrier with the natives, half way 'round the world.

I wonder how many bikes they build, what kind of production, what kind of technology, where their expertise comes from.
Just observing here. I am not their customer type.

So it sounds like you know very little about the company. Why not educate yourself before making blanket statements about the quality of their product and depicting them as "natives half way 'round the world"?

The company produces between 1,000 to 1,500 e-bikes per year or only about 30 bikes per week. The company is growing quickly and has enough capacity in its factory to produce up to around 5,000 e-bikes per year. But they never intended to become a massive, cookie-cutter e-bike company. Instead, they have focused on building high-performance e-bikes with top-shelf components.

FWIW, I've had zero communication issues with them and they have respond back within 12 hours every time I've contacted them.

Without jumping into the fight of price/quality keep in mind that this is not Consumers Report. Bikes are not reviewed on this site unless they pay for the review. Obviously there needs to be some money coming in to support the site, but this means that certain bikes regardless of how popular they are won't be reviewed. Some manufacturers are either satisfied with their sales or prefer to spend their advertising budgets in other ways; others have a policy of not paying for reviews because they feel that it damages their reputation. The real downside to this is that sometimes it seems like the bikes reviewed are distressingly the same and are being reviewed not because of any uniqueness but because they paid for the review. Court seems to do a great job of being fair when a bike is reviewed, but unfortunately that's not much help if it also limits the potential reviews to companies that pay for it.

Reactions: JRA
Yeah, I agree Court does a great job in his reviews. My only nit is I would like to see more competitive analysis in the reviews. For example, when I go to a camera review site there's always discussion of competitor brands and models in the value discussion. Ive been less impressed with some of the other EBR reviewers. Some of those reviews read like they are dialed in for the paycheck.

But back to FREY, they may not pay for reviews and that's fine. Still can have a section here for FREY.

Tomdav, if you want a forum for FREY can't you just start one? Orbea, Bianchi and some other extremely popular bikes won't pay for reviews so you don't see their bikes reviewed here, but forum members have started and regularly post on subforums for those brands. I'm assuming the same can be done for FREY?

I think a forum admin or mod would need to set up the subforum but maybe xenforo allows users to do it themselves. I don't see an obvious option.

Simple question, how can charging for a review put any confidence into a potential buyer. If one brand pays more does that influence the review? After doing my own research on ebikes I came to the conclusion that the high end AM1000 would be my choice. I can say that I could not be happier with my choice and FREYs after purchase support. Any call has been returned immediately and the bike has thus far been flawless. And for anyone to say that the quality can't be there because of the low price really has no clue. My AM1000 has the 1000 watt bafang, magura mt5 brakes, SRAM EX1 groupset, 21AH battery, Throttle, shift sensor, lights, yari fork, deluxe yari rear shock, Maxxis tires, and the bike is built well. Try to find this for under $5000. I did not know that the reviews were "pay to play". People looking to buy a really nice bike are missing out.

There is a disclosure in each review: "To run the forums, host the website, and travel, I charge a universal service fee for my reviews. This in-depth review was sponsored by [name of company sponsoring review]. My goal is to be transparent and unbiased with you, this video and writeup are not meant to be an endorsement of name of company sponsoring review] products."

I don't believe one brand pays more per review. I agree it unavoidably leads to lack of transparency relative to the competition not reviewed. For example, compare this bike to the Luna X1. Don't know how anyone could say those components are "high quality" or "match the $3,499 price well". SMH.

It’s not a perfect system, but it’s a good system. Court’s reviews seem very fair. And he provides us with this forum which is probably the world’s best place to discuss Ebikes. If there’s a bike he hasn’t reviewed it won’t have its own forum but we can talk about it plenty, and we do. I’m talking about FREY. Check it out. If you want to spend at least $2k plus $550 shipping, FREY just may be the best deal going.

It's certainly not a perfect system, and one of the reason why the FTC requires people to disclose that they're being compensated when they endorse a product. It obviously also leads to certain really interesting, well received bikes not being reviewed since it not only taints the review it taints the manufacturer. But it's kind of like the new California privacy policy. Everyone wants their privacy protected, but website owners aren't doing it for their health, they have to make a living which they do by advertising/selling information. The answer is simple, are you willing to pay to access a site? That's what Consumer Reports does. They don't take payments for reviews and they actually buy the products they test on the open market - so they're not beholdened to the manufacturers. BUT - you have to pay to use their website. If enough forum users are willing to pay to use the forum the same thing could be done here. Otherwise, as Mike says, you have to pay to play.

Simple question, how can charging for a review put any confidence into a potential buyer. If one brand pays more does that influence the review? After doing my own research on ebikes I came to the conclusion that the high end AM1000 would be my choice. I can say that I could not be happier with my choice and FREYs after purchase support. Any call has been returned immediately and the bike has thus far been flawless. And for anyone to say that the quality can't be there because of the low price really has no clue. My AM1000 has the 1000 watt bafang, magura mt5 brakes, SRAM EX1 groupset, 21AH battery, Throttle, shift sensor, lights, yari fork, deluxe yari rear shock, Maxxis tires, and the bike is built well. Try to find this for under $5000. I did not know that the reviews were "pay to play". People looking to buy a really nice bike are missing out.

I agree with bugnut. My Frey AM1000 just turned 1 year old. The build quality is great. Frey responed to all of my inquires quickly. You get to customize your bike build, paint, components, batteries etc. They send pics of your bike before it is shipped from the factory. Time from ordering the bike to arriving at my front door was 2 months, definitely worth the wait. Being able to program the Bafang controller is a big plus too.

Attachments

• AM1000.jpg
    AM1000.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 1,680
I taken a few looks at Frey's lineup over the past couple years, and it's impressive... at a glance. The power ratings of Bafang motors (usually with throttles) far exceed anything from Bosch, Yamaha, Brose or Shimano. On Frey's higher models, they use quality major components (shocks, tires and drivetrain), but geometry considerations like chainstay length, reach measurements etc. are often sub-par for my needs. These are important considerations IMO, as they can dramatically affect handling characteristics and comfort for extended off-road excursions.

For me, the true value of an eMTB is also in details like hubs, headsets, pivots, rims etc. If they even specify these parts in their marketing endeavors, they're often generic or house brands on the Chinese models I've considered, but most times they don't list them. That's where they can hide inferior production that can cut costs and allow for Maxxis tires, SRAM drivetrains and Shimano brakes. While those familiar-named major components will likely endure for hundreds of hardy trail miles, I'd be surprised if the "minor" parts do.

As someone who rides some fairly rugged trails a few times a week year-round, these minutia matter to me. IME, even "larger" brands' bikes - iZip, Raleigh, Haibike - sometimes cut proverbial corners on these important pieces of the eMTB puzzle in order to offer competitively priced models and still make a profit. I've had to replace hubs, repack bearings and other nuance repairs much sooner than I believe to be reasonable. But then again, I used to chose big brands' lower or middling models when I began getting into eMTBs five years ago.

In contrast, my Commencal eMTB now has over 1k of the hardest miles I've ever ridden, and it's holding up incredibly well, right down to the eThirteen hubs, Cane Creek headset, and enduro pivot bearings. I sold two of my "name brand" ebikes to afford it, but it's far and away the best money I've spent on my favorite form of recreation... yet! I'm currently enamored with YT's eMTB lineup, but that's another story...

Personally, I resent hi-powered, throttled eMotos - which are often disguised as eMTBs - due to their muddying legitimate access to traditional MTB trails. If I were to consider one, however, it'd be a Luna. They seem to use quality parts through and through, yet charge similar prices to brands that don't. Plus they're based in the USA and seem to back up their products well, offering extended warranties and replacement parts at fair prices, too.

And one last thought regarding motor submersion in water: the damage that can occur may not show up immediately, but the internals will likely suffer in the long run. To quote Performance Line Bearings, who do a lot of ebike motor repairs and overhauls:

...99% of e-bike motors are not waterproof! What makes this worse is some of the bearings in e-bike motors use the shaft of the gear below to run on (see pics). If you just run your motor into the ground and ignore the nasty noises, this bearing surface will eventually become worn and damaged. These parts are currently irreplaceable. So it would pay to look after them.

The gears in these motors rely on grease to lubricate them, this will, over time, wear away and/or pick-up contamination! This in turn, creates friction and wear. Again, you can’t currently buy these parts.
The pictures below show water mixed with the grease, and rust starting to develop on the crankshaft. The main clutch bearing and idler needle roller bearing are destroyed...
1581005968621.png

1581005986339.png

Back