Why is Pedego so popular?

I see a lot of satisfied Rad Power Bikes owners here on this forum, and there are those that have had issues. I'm certain that if I go through the Pedego brand forum I can find a fair share of Pedego buyers with issues too. What's important to me is how the company handles customer support after the sale. I ordered a RadRover last Friday and hope to see it delivered in the next week or two. I'm hoping through proper maintenance and a watchful eye on areas that others have had issues with I will have a long and enjoyable experience with the bike.

How exciting to get a new bike! I hope you are very happy with your RadRover, that it works well for you, and that if you need customer support that they treat you well and resolve any problems you have promptly. :) Nothing better than a great e-bike. :) I'm all smiles, for sure!!!

I'm hoping through proper maintenance and a watchful eye on areas that others have had issues with I will have a long and enjoyable experience with the bike.

@Barry S , I hope you are loving your Rad Power Bike! I deleted my earlier comment. I have no experience with the bike myself, so shouldn't have said something negative. :) I'd love to hear how you are enjoying your bike. I hope you've had it for a few weeks by now?

Last edited:
@Timpo , today I had my bike at the bike shop with a tech whose been in the bike industry for 45 years, and he was super impressed with the Pedego components. He asked what the bike cost, and when I said $3,000, he said "It's worth every penny." I was super glad to hear that. I think there's an ebike for every person, and Pedego isn't the bike for everyone. I'm just sharing new (to me) information about Pedego because I bought it without knowing anything about the bike components on Pedego bikes. I loved the cruiser look and the solid feel of the bike, as well as the riding experience and local dealer availability, and that's why I bought the bike.

Happy ebiking! :)

I like the Pedego business model. Local service is an important factor in buying an ebike. Some say prices are high but I believe you get what you pay for.

It has to be the service aspect . It certainly isn't puny batteries, small motors and mid range at best components. 5K for their Conveyor and it comes with a 36 V 13ah battery ? Pass.

It has to be the service aspect . It certainly isn't puny batteries, small motors and mid range at best components. 5K for their Conveyor and it comes with a 36 V 13ah battery ? Pass.

My local bike tech looked at my interceptor and said that it had high end components. "Worth every penny," is a direct quote. I can't speak for the Conveyor. As an owner, I was so pleased to hear that he thought my bike was a good value. I hope to ride it for a very long time. :)

My local bike tech looked at my interceptor and said that it had high end components. "Worth every penny," is a direct quote. I can't speak for the Conveyor. As an owner, I was so pleased to hear that he thought my bike was a good value. I hope to ride it for a very long time. :)

High end ? I think he was being kind .

They are not a franchise. The shops are independent, but they don't charge Pedego shop owners for anything except the bicycles. Of course dealers have to pay their local overhead expenses.
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/own-a-store/
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com...second-careers-as-electric-bike-store-owners/

Actually, that's a faster way to grow than charging high franchising fees.

They are a franchise in everything except some specific contract language. Under Illinois Franchise law they would technically be considered a franchise, excluding the fact they do not specifically show charging a separate royalty fee. Their marketing, and requirements for their dealers, their website requirements (dealers cannot have their own), their requirement of stocking 80% Pedego ebikes (versus others), all is typical franchise stuff. Store logos and colors, providing store fixtures, POS, signage, accessories, mandatory HQ meeting, etc., the whole 9 yards is typical franchise. Their prices reflect what amounts to easily a 10% franchise fee, when compared to other ebike OEM's of similar product and component level. I researched them and vetted them like I do every other brand. Their prices are rather high for what you get as a buyer, and their warranties or service support appears no better than what a good ebike OEM would provide, though service to the consumer could easily vary from dealer to dealer even in a franchise like situation. They work well to make sure dealers locate stores on heavily traveled bike paths, encouraging them to do rentals (i.e. means they have to stock more ebikes for renting) and locate in good higher traffic population centers, so they provide franchise like coaching and training. (nothing wrong with that). Any good business person running an LBD can figure that one out. However, if they are 'popular', I don't see it here at all in the midwest. It'll be interesting to see how their dealers fare post the 25% tariff. With so little diversity of brands, and no avenue to source from other OEM's who wont face the increases, it could be interesting times for them. (and yes I do know of brands who will not be raising their prices having received communications from them already). Pedego's marketing to boomers is spot on, so if they are popular in some geographies, its largely due to that marketing and the typical franchise methods they employ for consistency among dealers. Though they do allow independents to carry their product, albeit without the benefit of buying at as low of a price as the ones that are exclusive Pedego dealers. The only thing that makes them get around the whole franchise thing, and claim of not being one, is that their 'fee' is simply buried in their pricing. To give their dealers a decent margin for the bike industry, the consumer is paying roughly a 20 to 25% premium versus other comparable brands. Their beefy looking bikes are indeed heavy, but that could play well with their target audience, who likely remember large bulky bikes from their youth. Fat cushy seats, thicker tires, many colors (not just black or white) a lot of those little nuances play well with their target audience. Their target audience also has more disposable income than other audiences, so the price premium isn't likely to affect their target consumer as much. Also the consistency of marketing, and making the dealers adhere to good solid retail principals, ensures every consumer gets roughly the same level of good service across their dealerships. Just like a McDonald's folks. Their target audience grew up with that level of consistency. Consistency of product and service sells. (something generally lacking in the bike industry with so many independent dealers). Not hard to figure out why they are doing so well. You have to give them credit. Other brands would do well to emulate them. Its early in the ebike game though, so we will see how others plan to catch up to their marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
He specifically referenced the large rotors on the brakes and the fact that each brake can be adjusted from both sides as high-end features.

Aren't they 180MM mechanical brakes ? Very common. Personally, I greatly prefer high end hydraulic brakes but I might ride a little faster than you. :)

Specifically they are Avid BB7's, which are indeed the high end of Avid's mechanical disc brake line; arguably the best mechanical disc brakes brakes available. But they are still cable actuated and do not have the power or modulation of high end hydraulic disc brakes.

High end mechanical disc brakes are, I assume, just the ticket for a class 2 ebike, with Pedego standing out for using the higher end of the mechanical disc brake rather than low end ones used by bikes with lower price points? I imagine that the even higher end hydraulic brakes might be overkill for this particular bike? Matching parts to bike purpose, speed, etc., is just what a bike maker should do, methinks. :)

If I had to guess, Pedego spec'd the BB7 for its less complicated servicing. Replacing a cable doesn't require any special tools, whereas bleeding a brake does. It is not a question of price; a BB7 caliper costs about the same if not more than other highly regarded hydraulics.

I'm sure they are adequate but I just love the feel and response of a hydraulic. I have the Tektro e725s and love them but they are $300 and I don't expect that on a mid range city bike .

We did our research and felt Pedegos might be the best option for us. We then went to the local dealer and rented some bikes for a few hours. Then we came back to the shop and test rode almost every other model they sell, for free. We were sold. E-bikes are wonderful and growing in popularity, but it's still a little bit of "the old west" out there, so we liked the idea of having a local dealer we could hold accountable if anything went wrong. Our local dealer takes ownership of your experience. If something goes wrong, they make it right. No questions asked. They only sell Pedego, so they know their bikes. Pedegos are more expensive than many other brands, just as Lexus is a more expensive brand than a Toyota. Both will get you where you're going. It all depends on what you want for the ride.

Weird weight distribution be damned, I guess. Hub plus a top mount battery ? That's DIY stuff.

Clearly it isn't the bike for you. Isn't it great that there's so much variety in the ebike world? You love your beautiful bike and I love my beautiful bike, and that's what matters. :) Let's spread the ebike love!

Back