Why do we ebike?

Because I don't drive for medical reasons that are too personal to get into (and the same reasons apply to motorcycles / mopeds, so those are out).

I already liked cycling, but electric gives me far greater range and mobility, especially in very hot or very cold weather, need to get somewhere more quickly, etc. And I was already familiar with mechanical bike maintenance.

I grew up adoring nature and the natural beauty that surround me in my state, so it appeals to the environmentalist in me as well. Being way cheaper than a car is a bonus, though I often wish I had the utility a car affords, particularly for longer day trips (50mi+).

Firstly, I would like to apologise if this subject has been previously covered. I'm new to these forums but could not find this subject covered when I searched threads.

I am really curious as to why people choose to use an ebike. We have a broad spectrum of needs, restrictions, geographical locations and experience but I believe that the reasons people use ebikes can be condensed into 4 main categories; Financial, Health, Environmental concern, and Convenience. I may have overlooked a category that is the main reason why you ebike and if so, I apologise, but it's my thread so suck it up!! For me, it is a combination of these factors but I really want to know what is your strongest motivator out of these 4 reasons. So let rip, why do you use an ebike? For clarification, if you do it mainly for fun (who wouldn't deny that), maybe that should be under the category of health.

So to get things started, my vote...…..Financial
@Dynamo Dan - I never EVER thought about an ebike - I've ridden traditional bikes to and from work for over 45 years; then I got hit by a car.
consequently damage left me needing help in several ways - but the oddest way was my thermal regulation was damaged. I no longer sweat and I couldn't move fast enough in Mobile, Alabama to cool off. With an ebike I can use an extra water bottle as sweat and the added speed and airflow from my Trek SC8S, allows me to stay cool and my heart rate happy. Part two was when I "stopped" riding my bike to work I didn't stop eating so I started getting terribly fat. Bikes keep us healthy in many ways.

Last edited:
@Dynamo Dan - I never EVER thought about an ebike - I've ridden traditional bikes to and from work for over 45 years; then I got hit by a car..

Getting hit by a car is not just inconvenient; it can ruin the whole day. I know. The more who ride, the greater bicycle awareness
by drivers. Dutch statistics prove it. Not many fatalities from people being hit by bikes. 12141504_904608706282942_6040407599211616876_n.jpg

Last edited:
More Dutch Cycling Fatalities in 2017 Than All Auto Deaths
Disturbing news this morning: more people died on a bike than in a car in the Netherlands in 2017. The figure for cycling deaths is the highest in 11 years. This is the first time this has ever happened according to Statistics Netherlands, which also tracks fatalities in Holland. The Cyclists’ Union stresses that most deaths are still caused by cars crashing into people cycling.

Probably American weed tourists driving rentals.

Firstly, I would like to apologise if this subject has been previously covered. I'm new to these forums but could not find this subject covered when I searched threads.

I am really curious as to why people choose to use an ebike. We have a broad spectrum of needs, restrictions, geographical locations and experience but I believe that the reasons people use ebikes can be condensed into 4 main categories; Financial, Health, Environmental concern, and Convenience. I may have overlooked a category that is the main reason why you ebike and if so, I apologise, but it's my thread so suck it up!! For me, it is a combination of these factors but I really want to know what is your strongest motivator out of these 4 reasons. So let rip, why do you use an ebike? For clarification, if you do it mainly for fun (who wouldn't deny that), maybe that should be under the category of health.

So to get things started, my vote...…..Financial

Purely for fun and enjoyment and to keep me going on a bike. Also to stay in shape at a level that I am comfortable. That is pretty much my motivation. The other secondary interest is in the changing technology and my fascination with how innovative these awesome machines are.
Many other sub-categories I have not included, however, I feel like I will always own an E-bike. Enjoy!

Purely for fun and enjoyment and to keep me going on a bike. Also to stay in shape at a level that I am comfortable. That is pretty much my motivation. The other secondary interest is in the changing technology and my fascination with how innovative these awesome machines are.
Many other sub-categories I have not included, however, I feel like I will always own an E-bike. Enjoy!
There is something about that boost of clean power that never gets old! Such a wonderful technology!

Commuting. I could drive but weirdly, the older I get, the less I want the responsibility of driving and the bike trails are very convenient. Also, I use a trailer for my dog and he and I go everyone together on it. I would not generate the power anymore to do either and the bike has made cycling very fun again.

similar to motorcycle stats.

I ride thru the surrounding neighborhoods; there are more than a dozen big V-twins parked in yards or open garages
within a mile of my home that never seem to be ridden even in summer. So many weekend warriors buy the damn things,
and then are scared to ride them or forbidden by there wives. There's like two guys in whole area that actually ride regularly,
& one recently survived a near fatal accident. I'm not as fast or loud as any of them, but I'm in better shape.

I ride thru the surrounding neighborhoods; there are more than a dozen big V-twins parked in yards or open garages
within a mile of my home that never seem to be ridden even in summer. So many weekend warriors buy the damn things,
and then are scared to ride them or forbidden by there wives. There's like two guys in whole area that actually ride regularly,
& one recently survived a near fatal accident. I'm not as fast or loud as any of them, but I'm in better shape.

john P-I hear ya on that comment. They get the bikes, and they sit out in the driveway more as eye candy than actually riding. My relative is divorced for that very reason. His $30K motorcycle literally sits in the center of his living room all shiny and used for a weekend ride now and then. I sometimes believe some riders purchase these beasts for the very reason to have them more as showpieces than to actually ride and have some fun for their intended use. He has always been a gear head and just enjoys having his bike under lights.

john P-I hear ya on that comment. They get the bikes, and they sit out in the driveway more as eye candy than actually riding. My relative is divorced for that very reason.

If ya want a cheap chuckle, check cragslist- motorcycles. The reason they set out on the lawn is cuz they can't sell 'em. Criminy,
with the dough they spent on that goldwing*, they cudda had a stable of ebikes & a couple good used cars. I won't lie: motorcycles
scare me. I've managed to get myself pretty bad busted up as a cyclist & pedestrian. I'm not that keen on uppin' the odds. 30mph
on a bicycle's fast enough for me. Fact is, I'm really starting to appreciate riding at 10 mph, stoppin to pick blueberrys as I go. Ya
miss a lot at highway spd.
*(cuz yur gold will fly away)

Attachments

• fm160911.jpg
    fm160911.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 416
john P-I hear ya on that comment. They get the bikes, and they sit out in the driveway more as eye candy than actually riding. My relative is divorced for that very reason. His $30K motorcycle literally sits in the center of his living room all shiny and used for a weekend ride now and then. I sometimes believe some riders purchase these beasts for the very reason to have them more as showpieces than to actually ride and have some fun for their intended use. He has always been a gear head and just enjoys having his bike under lights.

I rode motorcycles for years, 5 Harleys and several others. I was actually one that rode frequently and enjoyed it for years. Motorcycles are very dangerous, a lot more than ebikes for reasons we are all aware of. I haven't ridden for about 10 years and never looked back. I was one of the lucky ones that rode all those years without an accident. I think a lot of the older guys buy these big machines as their first bike and end up hurt or scared which may be the reason for the limited riding. Looking at them in the garage becomes somewhat satisfying.

I also rode mountain bikes on extremely advance trails. Lot of bumps and bruises. I gave that up as well after many years of dust, dirt and big rocks, the body can only take so much. Road biking was not very appealing to me, at least not around here, to many hills that I just couldn't overtake with any enjoyment. I gave it a try but it was short term.

Now that have an ebike, I have a new found passion. My fat tire Rover offers the thrills of the old days at a much safer speeds and now I can ride on the hilly roads we have around here. Pure enjoyment every time I get out.

After my last post, I went onto CL just to check. Yup, acres of V-twins going dirt cheap compared to what
they cost new & still not selling. Was riding my Juiced CCS last weekend & stopped by a garage sale. The
guy pitched this big, immaculate, shiny, white Honda to me. I glanced at the speedo; it had less than 200 mi
on it. Still, that was about the prettiest bike I've ever seen. :cool:

Back