Why do we ebike?

Do we need yet another numbered reason: sharing our cycling passion with the people we love?

I have a photo of Jen and me (aged 61 and 64) setting off on our Danube cycle trip in 2008. It's not as exuberant as R&N's selfie - Jen is looking somewhat uncertain but 300 km later was declaring it the best time we'd ever had together (and I had thought that was as twenty-somethings together in my VW Kombi camper).

Five years later/ago, I noticed the beginnings of change in the dear person who had shared her life - and just a little cycling - with me. Today, forty-seven years after we met, her brain is crippled by Alzheimer's and she has no idea who I am. The best times are gone so suddenly.

... David
Well David, I don't have words. You are living the experience with your wife I unfortunately read about sometimes. My heart is with you, and I applaud your spirit for life. Perservere and keep finding the happiness in life... like riding your ebike!!

Five years later/ago, I noticed the beginnings of change in the dear person who had shared her life - and just a little cycling - with me. Today, forty-seven years after we met, her brain is crippled by Alzheimer's and she has no idea who I am. The best times are gone so suddenly.
Such a wretched, terrible disease... my aunt's husband is at that same point; while he had been slowly declining for the last year, and requiring more supervision as that happened (having to go into an assisted care facility 4 months ago), just in the last month or two he started forgetting who she was on her daily visits. I can't imagine how she (or any spouse) holds up under that after 50 years married to him. My heart goes out to you for such a dreadful situation.

Do we need yet another numbered reason: sharing our cycling passion with the people we love?

I have a photo of Jen and me (aged 61 and 64) setting off on our Danube cycle trip in 2008. It's not as exuberant as R&N's selfie - Jen is looking somewhat uncertain but 300 km later was declaring it the best time we'd ever had together (and I had thought that was as twenty-somethings together in my VW Kombi camper).

... David
So sorry for you. My Mother is in end stage. Been in hospice care for 2 weeks now. I thought it was rough before, but this end stage just tears my heart out. Good luck.

David, So sorry for your loss. What a terrible disease where you lose a person you love before they actually die. Too many of us have been witness to this.

You seem to be a man of indomitable spirit and vitality. I hope this carries you through this difficult time with some strength and equanimity.

I'm so glad you had the good times that you had, and for so many years. My wife and I met in our 50s. Now in our mid 60s, I feel our time together will be too short, even if we remain of sound mind and body. But my heart goes out to you for having to watch this happen to your wife, no matter how many good years you had before.

Kurt, Chris, Rich, Richard, Bruce and the other gentle people contributing to EBR... Thank you for your kind thoughts. Getting out on our ebikes is certainly wonderfully remedial.

.... David

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's health. Before the ebike I regularly commuted to work, but as I got to be over 50 I found the commute to be too tiring to do every day. So I got the ebike to allow me to commute more often. Health is the primary benefit, and I suppose financial was secondary or at least I thought it was until I read other comments. Maybe I'm not really saving money and I'm fooling myself, but health benefits alone are worth it to me.

Not much I can add that hasn’t been said. For me it was simply that the Ebike would get me out riding when I may not ride a conventional bike. Such as a very windy day, as a side benefit, I find myself running a lot more errands on the Ebike when I would otherwise need to take the car.

I do try to ride my conventional bikes more than the e bike simply because I get a better workout.

Love this string. Not to get mushy, but you really are my kind of people! If magic was possible, I'd get us all in the same town for a big party.
As I wrote in my post above, I've been thinking a lot about how short life is and how important happiness as become as I age. My new Ebike has added to my quality of life big-time. It's as simple as that. A beautiful day with the wind in my face, the trees, a suburban, country road or beautiful trail, river/water, fields, nature, an animal or two, an easy trip to a store for a cup of coffee or errand, the ability to explore where cars don't go, and the complete absence of hills as an obstacle. Priceless.

Wonder if we could do regional meet ups and rides?

I'll try to initiate one on the Centennial Trail in Western Washington state. 28 miles of 12 foot wide, paved over railroad right of way through rural Washington just 40 miles northwest of Seattle. Anyone interested can send me a private message here on the forum and I will see if we can agree on a date and time.

So to get things started, my vote...…..Financial
Writing some blog, eh :) ?
Car is expensive, but then urban and suburban transit is cheaper than a car and often (not always) more comfortable than e-bike.

Health - yes. You still pedal.

Environment - not much. EV don't alleviate the pollution, they shift it away from cities to somewhere else. Electric energy mostly comes from fossil fuels and Lithium in batteries is almost never recovered, the process is too expensive.

Fun - yes. It's always fun when you can pedal less, isn't it.... Or - cover more distance with same efforts.

Other reasons? Not mine. There are people who like tinkering with all electrical, or embrace any new technology (I like to remind here the short-lived Win 8, or 24V motors and batteries of early models that you can't find a replacement now). Some like excitement of high speed without much sweat (you can't have this on a regular bike unless downhill).

It's pretty much all been said before but I'll just add my 2 Cents:

I have been commuting by bicycle since I can remember. Used to live in Munich, Germany where a car is more burden than convenience so I never had one. I also ride bikes, both mountain and road bikes, for fun and endurance. I just find it the easiest way to get a workout in without having to drive somewhere first. I used to make fun of people on their "mopeds" but helped a good friend by an ebike last year and after he let me use his a couple of times got hooked myself.
My main reason for the ebike is time. With the speed restriction removed by chip I can consistently keep an average of way over 20mph which translates to about 30 minutes less roundtrip, every day. All that while I still have the fun of riding, even more because of the speed rush. And with local traffic the way it is, most days I am now faster than if I took the car. That works out well because I now have two kids with drivers licenses at home who want to use my car. So the ebike actually does prevent the purchase of yet another car in our household.

I consider ebiking to be significantly cheaper than a car or an analogue bike. I figure that a full charge on my ebike battery will take me 75km (45m) and cost 1c, driving would cost me $12CAD to pay for gas, analogue bike burning 1200 calories would cost $10 in food fuel. Unless your growing your own food, conventional cycling is incredibly expensive compared to ebiking.
It's not that simple.
75km @$CAD 12 is an old compact car in a city. But there is also a car wear and repairs averaged per year or per km, so 75km with old compact car in a city will cost about $CAD 16-17. Less if car is newer than 20 years or if it's highway kilometers.

Discount this by 30% in the US (cheaper gas, cheaper car shops, cheaper insurance).

The cost of using ebike is MUCH more than the cost electricity. You should count the cost of new battery every 3 years (or every 5, or every 2 - hard to tell). And the cost of new motor once in a while (and possibly cost of labor). And pretty much anything you do on the bike. How much is a good new tire and tube - $CAD 40? And it will last several times less Km than a cheap $80 car tire. After 10 years your ebike will be worth nothing or almost nothing even if it's still running - nobody will want to buy, so you should count amortization CAD$250-300 a year CAD($2,600 ebike sold for $300 after 10 years, $2,300 loss, not counting all repairs and servicing). Regular bikes and cars retain their resale value better.

I agree that 75km on regular bike will cost $CAD 10 in food - this if you make your own meals. Though, living without any exercise would still cost at least $CAD 7 daily, so your exercise costs only $3.

Last edited:
Loved this string.

One of the many reasons I ride my ebike is so I can eat blueberry cheesecake when I want. Which is what I am doing right now! There are less shallow reasons but you all took most of the good ones already.

On a more serious note. David. My heart goes out to you to you. My mom is heading in the same direction.

$12 / 75km??

Let's presume the gas price is $1.50/L, $12 will buy you 8L of gas.
That's 9.3km/L, ok yeah, not an econobox gas mileage, but still sounds like an average family sedan powered by a typical V6 engine.

Amortization of $250-300/year? That's nothing compare to cars.
Buy a Honda Civic, which is approx. $20,000 Canadian, and one of the best resale vehicle in USA/Canada, there's no way the amortization cost will only be $250-300 a year.

It does cost you $10 food to ride a bike.
Although health was NOT why I bought my ebike for, because I bought it to save money after my own in depth analysis, many people here bought ebike for health reasons.

After doing some research, apparently sitting in the traffic will cause you all kinds of health problems.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...warned-It-harm-mental-health-years-later.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/minding-the-body/201509/how-stress-less-in-traffic-jam

Some say obese people should pay extra tax due to increased medical cost. Sitting in a car vs riding a bike, I guess we all know which one is healthier.
http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/ove...thers-cant-pay-for-our-folly-2587183-Feb2016/
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...k/news-story/8270c0e2a7af1b10f91a7e527ba0f096

IRS says people spend $125,000 / 10 years in commuting
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-much-your-commute-is-really-costing-you/

Long commute will cause divorce, break relationship with your loved ones.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...e-your-marriage-may-be-at-risk/article614671/

I can see why though, getting stuck in the traffic jam vs commuting on a bike...
Commuting is something do every day, so I can see the long term health and mental benefits / differences.

Just look, which one is more stressful?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
montreal-018.jpg
Listen to the voice of an active youth. He is of a growing minority in his own age set.

I looked up what it would cost me to own a car again. Firstly, in Miami the cheapest auto insurance provides only "10-20-5" protection, laughably small public liability and zero collision protection. Ten-Twenty-Five was mandated by Florida lawmakers about 40 years ago (40 years ago my annual car ins. premium was about $1,000 per year in Miami) At my senior age of 64 today and with my perfect driving record, a hypothetical, 8 year old, ultra-safe, paid-for Prius = 172 dollars per month, just for insurance that is next to nothing in value.

I have a family car that I can use at any time I really need it. But cheaper by far is my ebike that I can use on a whim, anytime, rain or shine (I wear quick dry clothes!) and do my little, unimportant but fun and life-sustaining errands.

Timpo and I are two generations apart in age but we are so together on this (and all of us here, are).

Cars are necessary evils for others but not for us but for rare occasions. We use cars as little as possible. Timpo, to save money at his student age. Myself to save health.

As most of us here are senior and financially secure, we are cycling for health and to help make roads safer for younger people to come, by our not putting our cars on the roads unless we truly have a need to do so.

Hurrah for Timpo. Hurrah for everyone here who tries not to use a car so much.

The stress of Miami traffic is a primary reason I hope I never have a car again. When I need a car for a piano tuning job, it really pays dividends to my health (because stress is so destructive to my health) to take a Lyft. I am not so anti-car as I am against my wasting my resources for a car I would not use but rarely.

Were it not for the ebike I would be in poor health today. As it is, I am lucky. And I am happy to be an ecyclist extolling to others that cars=death by neglect of exercise. And bikes equal breezes and sunshine and a good time.

-----------
essay. It was 1966 and I was 12 and still riding a single speed cruiser bike. Walter and Marian Booher, neighbors on Almeria Avenue in Coral Gables at number 1024 next to my own family's Matthew-like 1034, were Quakers, retired teachers, Walter aged 66, and Marion a few years younger, just returned from a European vacation. Walter, a church man, made wonderful things of wood, gee haws and windmilling sawyers and windmilling bicyclists, toys that pivoted and operated in any light breeze and moved to prove they were reflections of Walter and Marian's life of always producing results. Marion baked whole wheat bread from flour that Walter (industrial arts teacher) ground in a small, hand-cranked mill that he invented, manufactured, and gave copies of to friends. He never sold them. He only gave.

Walter, soon after his and Marian's return from France in 1966, was riding an amazing, French-made 2-stroke gasoline bike on local errands. I stared at the Solex purring up and down our banyan-canopied, Almeria analog of Spain. The Solex, it was lively even in black, had to have by law, then, a FL motorcycle tag. But it was not a motorcycle, really, not to my young self. It was a magical bicycle, so minimal, so unobtrusive, so gentle as a free flowing breeze, a 15 mph substitute for a car. How many errands require anything like fifteen miles? I knew in 1966 that very few trips were more than a few miles. I liked the idea of exercise without requirement to sweat.

I would have something like that Solex, so much more fun, so much better than a car.

Walter gave me his Solex years later (he lived to be ninety) and I rode the Solex for years before passing it on to a collector. It must exist yet today. Walter Booher, soft spoken, taught me to wonder, taught me next door how to think of others.

He taught me how to apply linseed oil varnish, the kind that made surfaces gleam in 1910. Apply the varnish in full, wet strokes, X pattern on the vertical panel. Lay it on thick. Then with successive vertical strokes spread it out. Then with very light strokes in the next few seconds, tip it off. You have only moments to make the film of even thickness before the varnish sets.

You have only moments to make the film an even thickness before the varnish sets.

I find in his technique an analogy for our lives, whether we are young or old. We hope to affect others in good ways. We hope to be good because we are all good at heart like Walter Booher, Quaker, who gently mentored a secular humanist and knew exactly, precisely, what he was doing and why he was doing it. You only have moments, he said.

PB Welch.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/writereid

Last edited:
Let's presume the gas price is $1.50/L, $12 will buy you 8L of gas.
That's 9.3km/L, ok yeah, not an econobox gas mileage, but still sounds like an average family sedan powered by a typical V6 engine.

It does cost you $10 food to ride a bike.
Old cars are inefficient. 9.3km/L is what an old compact car takes in a city. 10km/L if you get lucky.

I doubt it costs $CAD 10 to ride a bike. It costs at least $CAD 7 to live without riding a bike, if you make your own meals. This would mean $17 (or more) when riding a bike. Nah... body doesn't work this way, this is not a linear function.

In my area it costs $CAD350-400 a year in maintenance and repairs of an old car, - if you live and work in a city, not some place 100km away, and are not clueless to the point of asking a car mechanic to check why there is no spray coming out of windshield washer :)... Climate and other factors affect these numbers.

The rate of ebike depreciation is faster than that of a car or a regular bike. Car depreciates abruptly the moment it leaves the dealer's lot, and then it slows down, 10 year old car costs 25-30% of a new one, and so does 10-year old regular bike. 10-year old ebike is a value in the eyes of the owner, mostly.

Most students here ride regular bikes either on its own or combined with transit. Or transit alone. Very few ride ebikes. Can't say how many students drive cars, - it's hard to see who is in a car, but judging by full parkings in colleges and universities - probably, more than ebikes. It's a stress to commute in a car, and it's a stress to commute on a bike (any bike), because you can't always commute in a park-like setting like the one on the photo. Bike lanes are being added as the time goes by, but they are right next to busy street or highway, and they are not everywhere.

Last edited:
... because when I first rode one in Huntington Beach I thought it was the coolest thing!

I’d been looking for a bike to carry more stuff but hadn’t thought of electric. My ST2is paired with a Burley Nomad trailer.

It has been great for commuting speed, safety and trailer pulling.
I get to work 7 minutes faster each way on my 10 mile commute, 32 mins became 25.
When riding in traffic I can keep up at 30mph on the highest setting.
It’s much easier to pull the trailer with an ebike and I’ve found in the summer it is a pretty good substitute for car trips.

Last edited:
Back