Why do the Dutch not wear bike helmets?

They probably don't wear them for the same reason I don't wear them. They look stupid, and offer scant protection for your head, especially the back of it. A motorcycle helmet is much better (but offers little frontal protection unless you go to a full wrap around style). I just can't see wearing a motorcycle helmet on a bike that isn't going to go more than 20 MPH. I'll bet they have a fair amount of protected bike lanes over there too.

Yup, A motorcycle helmet looks pretty dumb on a bicycle. The Dutch ride on average 760 miles a year for every man, woman,
& child in the country....which is pretty flat & small, but has an amazing cycling infrastructure. I mean automated bicycle parking lots,
c'mon. They have as many miles of bike paths as highways. Here the white line constitutes the shoulder on a lot of roads, which is
probably reason enuff for helmets. I hate 'em, but I wear one. & a yellow vest.

Yup, A motorcycle helmet looks pretty dumb on a bicycle. The Dutch ride on average 760 miles a year for every man, woman,
& child in the country....which is pretty flat & small, but has an amazing cycling infrastructure. I mean automated bicycle parking lots,
c'mon. They have as many miles of bike paths as highways. Here the white line constitutes the shoulder on a lot of roads, which is
probably reason enuff for helmets. I hate 'em, but I wear one. & a yellow vest.
Yes, amazing bike infrastructure, almost replicating roads. You can cycle from town to town on bike paths, following the red signs. Totally separated from auto roads. We were there for 4 years, returned to USA about 3 years ago. Loved both the Netherlands and riding. Never wore a helmet there.

But here in the USA, I wear a helmet. Riding in much more proximity to cars, and often on the roads. Brother-in-law had bike accident and it put him in hospital for 6 weeks. Mostly broken bones, but lucky he was wearing a helmet and had no head injuries. Without a helmet he would have been toast.

Back