Why can't American companies make ebike batteries?

So far I haven't seen any ebikes with 21700
I can bet the Specialized 600 and 700 Wh and the Giant 625 Wh batteries are made of 21700 cells. For example, the form factor of all Specialized UI batteries is the same but lower capacity ones (UI-460,UI-500) are made with the 18650, and the UI-600 include the 21700 ones because the latter have higher energy density. The same with Giant EnergyPak of different capacity. You might ask yourself why these large Spesh and Giant batteries are so expensive, and now you've got the answer.

As a shareholder, I have been asking Tesla for years to produce a market-leading EBike... supporting their Sustainable Transportation mission statement.

Elon are you listening? 😉

I just got off the phone with him...
Space X is planning a Lithium mine and eBike battery factory on the moon.

The US economy loads medical care on the employer. This means manufacturing anything that will stand a ship ride without aging is unprofitable. The chinese economy loads medical care on the government for party members, and on the individual for everybody else. This includes the victims of industrial accidents who get maybe a coupla thousand dollars and a ticket back to the provinces if they are permanently disabled.
No US politician will talk about this. The democrats talk about health care as a human right, to be paid for by the government. The republicans talk about death committees run by government health care to decide who is not worth spending money on to extend their life. US death committees are run by health insurance companies, who the individual gets to choose while still healthy and seeking employment.
If I were to design a bike motor, I don't know any US companies that could supply the magnet core material, stampers, or the coil winding machines. All that expertise moved to Asia in the seventies.
BTW I've been trying to find US made AA, AAA, and 9v batteries to run my radios & flashlights. All disappeared in the last year. The government have allowed vendors to stop specifying on the package where these things are made, relying only on the tiny print on the product itself visible maybe through the blister pack. Globalization, export of US jobs, is official government policy.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with him...

Space X is planning a Lithium mine and eBike battery factory on the moon.

Elon's plan recently changed... the mine and factory are now planned for Mars. 😉

Elon's plan recently changed... the mine and factory are now planned for Mars. 😉

That's the distraction story... He's building on the Dark Side 🌒

As a shareholder, I have been asking Tesla for years to produce a market-leading EBike... supporting their Sustainable Transportation mission statement.

Elon are you listening? 😉
They better come with a fire extinguisher...oh wait, you can't extinguish a L-ion battery fire with a fire extinguisher. 🔥🔥🔥😱😱😱

Back