Who's looking at new startup DOST?

When did Court start giving star ratings to bike reviews. Not just a star rating, but 5 stars? Or is this a bit of false advertising? I don't see this verbiage anywhere in the printed reviews.

View attachment 46484
We know he's buddys with Sam Atakhanov in the company at the least so I'm afraid that this does smell a bit foul to me as well.

Last edited:
Captain Slow, I guess it depends on what you compare them to. I'm sure they look like a bargain compared to a $10K bike.

cuwatra, I'd be surprised if Court was all that thrilled with the selective quoting. But it does look like an official EBR "choice product" logo. Maybe something is in the works? If not Dost should be called out for putting up a fake logo and star rating.

y
Yeah, but how do you really feel? :p

Yes , in the handling , acceleration, braking and battery range .

3-4 good brands under 2k :
- Radpower, Aventon, Magnum.

3-4brands over 4k :
- BH easy motion, R&M, Gazelle, Gocycle, Tern,

I don't see any reason to buy this e-bike at this price. Way overpriced and you have the risk of this company going out of business. I need to warn you they won't have much orders at this price point and if you buy this e-bike there is a great chance next year, this company won't be over there anymore. And you will be on your own with your e-bike.
I will buy start-up ebikes if they offer a great great value which justifies the risk of buying those e-bikes. Such as 3-4 years ago buying a Sondors can be justified. Even they go out of business, you can accept to repair your e-bike on your own or source components as you buy the e-bike at really low price. It is more expensive than most haibikes in market.

I don't see any reason to buy this e-bike at this price. Way overpriced and you have the risk of this company going out of business. I need to warn you they won't have much orders at this price point and if you buy this e-bike there is a great chance next year, this company won't be over there anymore. And you will be on your own with your e-bike.
I will buy start-up ebikes if they offer a great great value which justifies the risk of buying those e-bikes. Such as 3-4 years ago buying a Sondors can be justified. Even they go out of business, you can accept to repair your e-bike on your own or source components as you buy the e-bike at really low price. It is more expensive than most haibikes in market.

I agree with your post. The advantage of purchasing the existing lower priced bikes is you can fix them if the distributors go out of business with parts and pieces easily found on eBay. That said, Ecotric stepped right up when I had an issue on my wife's fattie step thru. When I read the techno info on some of these posts its little wonder how confusing the market is at present. That confusion allows for a lot of overpriced product to be sold. Personally I think the real market growth comes with eBike selections in the $800-$1500 range that are using components with a track record. Sondors and Rad figured this out early. Most of the people who will purchase an eBike just want to ride the damn thing. They want it to look good, get acceptable range and not break in the 500 to 700mi they might put on it, in their lifetime. I'm guessing the real growth, beyond the early adopters, will be eBike riders not enthusiasts. Their eBike will be one of many activities they are into, just like casual bicyclists. I don't see a commuting revolution happening ( although it should) but use will increase with infastructure I would think. I am excited by all the positive aspects of eBiking, especially for old folks like me. Sell the fun of a decent product that can be purchased easily and "they will come" lol

I have made similar comments, such as, "The biggest market opportunity is the sub-$1500 price point", and was scorned by many that I was ignorant and off base, that the market was two to three times that.
Oh well, so much for us "experts", rather casual observers! :)

I have made similar comments, such as, "The biggest market opportunity is the sub-$1500 price point", and was scorned by many that I was ignorant and off base, that the market was two to three times that.
I started a thread actually on the elusive decent quality sub $1,000 ebike and was mainly told that it can't happen. 🤔

I started a thread actually on the elusive decent quality sub $1,000 ebike and was mainly told that it can't happen. 🤔

Sure it can. The Aventon Pace350 is a very nice bike for $999 msrp. I think Ride1Up gets pretty close as well.
When RadPower runs a sale, theirs get really close to that too.

It's the bottom of the market for sure, but there's much less of a gamble at that price point, to invest into something for recreational use. I get it - the commuter needs something more robust, lights and fenders and racks and all that. And that is going to cost more. Same for a competent mountain bike.

There are some forum members that look down their nose at people that can't or won't spend 3-grand plus for a ebike. There must be something wrong with you. 😜

All this said, DOST has some pretty innovative features and a nice design, so I don't view them as being in the bottom of the market. Can they compete with the 'big-3'? I dunno, but I wouldn't say that you or I should not buy one. In fact, plenty of people have already pre-purchased/ordered, waiting on production. Lots of complainers, but gee, they're doing their best to offer a fresh and innovative design. Will they be a success? I have no idea. But I do wish them well. 👍

I have nothing against higher end bikes. As a newcomer to the eBike party ( although I was looking at Luna Kits and reading about Sondors latest gossip 5 years ago) I have to tell you, knowing my own limitations of riding in my late 60's and assuming that most of us are in the same lane, I couldn't imaging breaking the frame on my Ecotric Fattie. It's well designed ( based on what I would consider well designed 20 years ago) the welds look great and it was cheaper than my Nishiki Alien purchased in 1989. So all things considered, how in the hell do frames break on $3000 and up bikes, assuming they can't ride much harder than me, due to normal limitations. Hell yeah I feel pretty smart, but admittedly not very exclusive, riding my $800 Fattie. That said, could I see myself at some point getting a FS Haibike Fattie? Yup! Because that's how you grow a market. Sell someone a workable lower end eBike and they will figure out it's shortcomings. Tell someone they have to have a $3k eBike to experience the fun and they are way less inclined to promote eBiking when they tell their friend the frame broke, or mid-drive mtr, controller on said bike. Even if all they do is complain about the bikes maker but not eBiking, that potential market guy is off looking into trying photography or birdwatching or simply staying at home and the industry loses another expansion point. I think Rad and Sondors have the right idea and a big headstart on market-share. But what the hell do I know?LOL

I agree with your post. The advantage of purchasing the existing lower priced bikes is you can fix them if the distributors go out of business with parts and pieces easily found on eBay. That said, Ecotric stepped right up when I had an issue on my wife's fattie step thru. When I read the techno info on some of these posts its little wonder how confusing the market is at present. That confusion allows for a lot of overpriced product to be sold. Personally I think the real market growth comes with eBike selections in the $800-$1500 range that are using components with a track record. Sondors and Rad figured this out early. Most of the people who will purchase an eBike just want to ride the damn thing. They want it to look good, get acceptable range and not break in the 500 to 700mi they might put on it, in their lifetime. I'm guessing the real growth, beyond the early adopters, will be eBike riders not enthusiasts. Their eBike will be one of many activities they are into, just like casual bicyclists. I don't see a commuting revolution happening ( although it should) but use will increase with infastructure I would think. I am excited by all the positive aspects of eBiking, especially for old folks like me. Sell the fun of a decent product that can be purchased easily and "they will come" lol
You’ve described Pedego’s business model to a tee. Just add dealer margins for those customers who want somebody to fix their flats. Not every boomer wants to buy online and do their own wrenching. It’s all about having reliable fun for about $3 k.

You’ve described Pedego’s business model to a tee. Just add dealer margins for those customers who want somebody to fix their flats.
Not every boomer wants to buy online and do their own wrenching. It’s all about having reliable fun for about $3 k.

Exactly... this is the target demographic market for Pedgo customers. ;)

Back