Who rides in the winter?

The problem is that most of that "high-end gear" is made for ascents of the Kangshung Face, or ski descents in the Ruth Gorge, or climbing South Howser Tower.

Normal people don't do those things. And clothing suitable for those activities is insane, massive overkill for someone going backpacking, skate skiing, or riding their bike to the bakery on a cold morning. That is why so much of that stuff ends up at thrift stores. People buy it because they want to identify with the tribe and then realize that $450 soft-shell jacket is wildly impractical for any outdoor activity they actually participate in.

Don't know as I was thinking that high-end, more along the lines of grossly overpriced REI stuff.:)
PS, A friend of mine once told me, "Ya can't be an injun if you don't like rain."

Last edited:
Don't know as I was thinking that high-end, more along the lines of grossly overpriced REI stuff.:)
PS, A friend of mine once told me, "Ya can't be an injun if you don't like rain."

Ironically the REI stuff isn't nearly as grossly overpriced as the stuff from other companies. But I agree that it is still overpriced for what it delivers and it is rare to see any appropriately designed outdoor clothing from any of the big suppliers.

I concluded a long, long time ago that if you are outside and active in hard rainfall for more than about an hour you are going to get wet. The best you can do is choose the nature of that wetness and try to make it so you will at least dry out quickly and not get hypothermia in the process.

Again, I'd recommend going to Wal-Mart and getting Frogg Toggs. They are far from perfect but they aren't any less perfect than other raingear offerings costing four times as much (you can get their very basic rain jackets for about $45).

As a runner, I have lots of cold weather running gear which works well if you layer up for the e-bike commute. I do wear an old pair of winter motorcycle gloves similar to these:

1533654144520.png

Right now I am looking at temperature pushing 100 degrees today, and forecast for 105 degrees tomorrow. Then mother nature smirks upon me with an air quality pushing 200 (very unhealthy).

When I have that right now the thought of riding on a chilly November morning sounds damned appealing.

I ride all year in the southwest. It is usually dry and around 20-35 degrees in the morning with the coldest days between 12-22 degrees. It is usually between 40-50 degrees by afternoon with sunny skies. I have to sometimes pack double gear for the temp extremes everyday.

Tight fitting layers to keep heat in and any wind from exposed skin seem to work best for me. I can then remove or unzip if temp get too warm as I ride.

Normal winter gear:

Hands:
- XL Bar Mitts (morning only)
- full fingered Outdoor Master padded bike gloves (couldn't feel the ebike controls that well with winter gloves+Bar Mitts)
- Shinymod Sports Arm Sleeves arm covers

Feet:
- below freezing: Hi-tec hiking boots with long wool or crew socks
- above freezing: Northwave MTB Escape Evo shoes with wool or crew socks

Head:
- In the 40s: Pearl Izumi skull cap with Fox flux bike helmet
- in the 30s: pearl Izumi+Full face windproof Balaclava+Fox helmet
- when 30 or below: two full face windproof Balaclava+Fox helmet
- cheap Amazon $13 UV ski goggles with Zeiss anti fog spray (cold air makes my eyes water a lot)
- WYND blocker riding glasses in the afternoon (I have a clear and polarized set)

Legs:
- full length spandex
- padded shorts
- MTB shorts (for the afternoon ride)
- Aero Tech Design thermal windstopper cold weather biking pants

Torso:
- long sleeve bike shirt
- long sleeve long john top when below 30 degrees
- medium windbreaker (for afternoon ride home along with bike shirt, I add long john top if a little chilly)
- Aero Tech Design thermal windproof waterproof cold weather biking jacket in the morning

I also have a very bright headlight on the bike along with a headlight on my helmet. Watching out for road debris and black ice in the share the road bike lanes at 5:30am.

i know.. but that's not a good solution... :rolleyes:

Agreed it isn't a good solution. Like I said, I know of no raingear that will keep you dry when you are active in continuous, hard rainfall. That technology simply does not exist.

Sometimes umbrellas work really well, but they are awkward and impractical on a e-bike at 15-20mph.

Curved in 2 directions, this handlebar bag deflects rain surprisingly well. I raced home in a sudden downpour; the bag was soaked,
but my chest & thighs were only a bit damp. It also seems to reduce wind resistance.
In researching the perfect commuter bike I found a guy in CA that makes bicycle fairings, want to sat they were around $350 for the one I wanted. Total weight was three pounds. In tunnel testing it greatly reduced wind resistance and made the bike more efficient. Happy to share his info if that's allowed.

I will be sporting this garment for my Fall, Winter, and early Spring rides; waterproof and windproof. Its pretty dark during those seasons when I have to ride into work. $28.00. Garments labeled "bicycle gear" cost 3-4 x as much.
RW230_330_1.jpg

In researching the perfect commuter bike I found a guy in CA that makes bicycle fairings, want to sat they were around $350 for the one I wanted. Total weight was three pounds. In tunnel testing it greatly reduced wind resistance and made the bike more efficient. Happy to share his info if that's allowed.

I've seen a few attempts at marketing a bike faring. Some even gave stats on efficiency. What I have is by no means ideal,
but for $350, I can live with it. I think I paid 4 or 5 bucks for it at Goodwill. Thing is, with a little imagination, one can make
a pretty good faring from whatever's laying around. What are hands for?

I've seen a few attempts at marketing a bike faring. Some even gave stats on efficiency. What I have is by no means ideal,
but for $350, I can live with it. I think I paid 4 or 5 bucks for it at Goodwill. Thing is, with a little imagination, one can make
a pretty good faring from whatever's laying around. What are hands for?

For ebikes to become "normal" and be used as transportation they need to provide more then you and I need. Not everyone loves bike riding and riding in bad weather is an objection that must be overcome. For you the cost is a lot but for a kid who is paying $250 a month in car insurance and looking for an alternative it pays back very quickly. Or for that young college graduate who is trying to live and work in NYC, San Fran, DC, LA. and the list goes on.
When I rode a motorcycle year round I used a full faced helmet and that worked ok but one of my friends had a fairing and wow what a difference!

I live in Denver. I usually ride every other day in Denver. I just put on light layers and wear boots. My pedals are mountain bike style, not clipless. I go when the temperature is above 25F. My primary concern is that the bike path is dry. I choose wind sheltered paths, rather than usual summer paths.

I do not find any big issues except ice and light in tunnels. Having a motorcycle intensity light is at the top of my list. I am probably going to spend $500 on a Supernova 99. I feel like i am being ripped off. Tunnel conditions are my primary concern, so that is where I invest bike money for winter riding.

I run tubeless tires for the added traction. I clean my chain more often than in summer. I usually clean my chain weekly in summer.

Winter riding is much easier than you might imagine.

I live in a very rainy area, and am concerned about the visibility problems sure to happen with glasses in rain. Goggles also cut down peripheral vision. I guess I'm so spoiled as a cyclist having such unobstructed vision! I even dislike sunglasses with visible frames.

Back