Who is transporting their ebikes standing up inside a truck bed under topper?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm a new forum member ;-)

I have two new ebikes (2023 Specialized Como 4.0's) and am considering transportation options. One of them involves my F350 crew cab, short bed w/ standard height topper. This thread was very interesting to read. I had already stumbled upon the Inno RT201 mounts and ordered a set to start experimenting with. I'm certain I'll have to remove the front wheel; I may need to remove the front fender too. I'll be experimenting how to transport both bikes in the back. Thank you for sharing the info, even though I'm late to the thread ;-)

I call it a topper, some people call it a shell. I'll include a picture.

Like the original poster of this thread, I want to transport two bikes upright, inside. There are some good ideas in this thread. My topper is standard/cab height, so I most definitely have to take the front wheel off.

1688774351970.png

I have seen short bed pickups with toppers carrying bikes without removing the wheels using tailgate extenders like this:

Bungees were used to hold the topper hatch in place.

My bed is long enough, just not tall enough. I hadn't thought about letting the bikes stick out beyond the tailgate. That could deserve some thought to see if there would be enough clearance with the hatch up. I do have a need to tow though, so in those situations, I'd still need to find a solution totally inside the topper. Thanks for throwing the idea out here.

At one point, I considered an extended height topper for my pickup but even the tallest wasn't high enough for the bars on my bikes.

Screenshot (36).png

Nor would it ever work with a topper, which is why I started this thread.
This is the one I’m looking at, though with some modifications.
View attachment 77064
Wow, this ingenious idea just solved an issue I have been trying to work through...how to easily carry my bike short distances without removing the front wheel, and not mount a bike rack off the rear trailer hitch receiver. It will interfere with my soft roll-up tonneau cover, but I really only need that in the winter to keep deep snow from piling up in the bed and these racks would be removed by then anyway as biking season is over. Check out the website and the excellent ~10 min video this seller has made. My Tacoma's 6½' foot bed has the OEM C-channel rails running just inside the bedrails, so I ordered a set. Can't wait for them to arrive. After installation I'll update this message with results.
Cheers coach

Last edited:
When I got a new pickup, I decided to get a canopy that was taller than the cab since it was always hard to get the bikes in without hitting the top. I used my 1987 Schwinn Cimarron as a guide and bought the ARE extra height top which has 3 inches more headroom than the cab height version. Then, after a long ride, my wife finally decided to check out e-bikes. Well, I didn't anticipate the 28" wheels (the Cimarron has 26" wheels) so the canopy is still too short. I changed the stem on my bike and now things fit but I still have to turn over the bars on my wife's bike so it will fit. If there is a next time, I'm getting the tallest canopy. LOL. Anyway, the reason for my post is that some might want to look at the Ride88 rack at ride88.com. It isn't a cheap rack but works really well. I can fit 4 bikes in the bed of my pickup without issues other than the canopy being too short.

Not the most elegant way to secure, but it works better than expected. My wife drove me around while I sat and observed. The pair of Como 4.0s rode pretty stable. I basically position a loadbar so that I could strap the seat posts to it.
IMG_20230902_141118639.jpg
IMG_20230902_140951502_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230902_140933012_HDR.jpg

Not the most elegant way to secure, but it works better than expected. My wife drove me around while I sat and observed. The pair of Como 4.0s rode pretty stable. I basically position a loadbar so that I could strap the seat posts to it. View attachment 161856View attachment 161857View attachment 161858
Just a thought, FWIW. I was going to suggest attaching the Rockymount track/mounts to ¾” plywood that would run the length/width of the bed. It would lower the height of the front ends slightly and the weight of the bikes and other gear over the plywood alone would provide sufficient weight to keep them from moving around. You could even place sandbags on top of the plywood to effectively increase the weight load. If it’s stable enough, you could potentially do without the rear wheel stands and load bar making the task loading/unloading the bikes go much faster.

Just a thought, FWIW. I was going to suggest attaching the Rockymount track/mounts to ¾” plywood that would run the length/width of the bed. It would lower the height of the front ends slightly and the weight of the bikes and other gear over the plywood alone would provide sufficient weight to keep them from moving around. You could even place sandbags on top of the plywood to effectively increase the weight load. If it’s stable enough, you could potentially do without the rear wheel stands and load bar making the task loading/unloading the bikes go much faster.

Thanks for the feedback. Part of the reason for mounting the track on the 4x6 was so I can keep the front fender tips on. I actually have them off at the moment, but I'm hoping they'll clear... it'll be close. The 4x6 is pressure treated, so is actually fairly heavy; but, actually mounting the the 4x6 on a length of plywood that runs the full width of the bed may be a good way to go for some added security. I may just do that ;-)

I think I may still *need* the load bar. I contacted rocky mount because those through axle mounts are only rated for 35 pound bikes. They said as long as I had additional support, they think it would hold just fine for the heavier ebikes.

You're right about the load/unload time. It's a PITA ;-) However, I should have prefaced that the only reason I'm doing this is for longer trips where I can't use a hitch mounted rack (Thule Epos 2) because I'm towing a travel trailer. So...if things go according to plan, they'll be loaded twice and unloaded twice ;-) The topper is pretty full with other gear too. I looked at possibly putting a hitch on the travel trailer; it's just pretty clear that some serious beefing up of the rear bumper area would be needed...and even then, most racks aren't "rated" for RV use.

Thanks again, for the input.

--Lp

If you attach the Rockymount track/mounts to the sheet of plywood, you could rig it so it could slide partway out of the pickup bed. That would ease the loading / unloading process.

If you attach the Rockymount track/mounts to the sheet of plywood, you could rig it so it could slide partway out of the pickup bed. That would ease the loading / unloading process.
For sure. The width of the plywood doesn’t even have to extend past the wheel wells on either side of the bed. Flush surface mount D-ring anchors acting as tie downs screwed into the plywood could also be used to strap the bikes down. I guess it all depends on how much room inside the bed is required for other items.

Back