Which Turbo Como?

I just picked up a Como 5.0 2 weeks ago. I've been riding it every day and LOVE it. I went with the 5.0 over the 4.0 due to the bigger battery, newer version motor, better brakes and shifters. If you watch the YouTube reviews on the Comos on the electric bike review channel, you will see Court seems to think its worth the added cost, $800 difference here in the US. He has videos on the 4.0 and 5.0 you should watch.
The higher torque motor, larger battery, and upgraded components definitely take the sting out of the extra $. That's why we went with the Vado 5 vs the 4. Happy we did.

Hi there, I'm new to the site and am enjoying all the great information! So I'm shopping for an ebike. I get tingling in my right hand when riding my Trek DS4. And it goes numb...prob Carpal Tunnel, but anyway I test rode the Como 3 and I Loved it! I wanted to change the hand position...I want to test ride a Vado also but I haven't found one yet, due to no supply. So my question is, Is the Vado's riding position as comfortable as the Como? It looks like it's more forward and may be the same issue as I have with the wrist as on my ds4? Everybody seems to love the Vado. I think if I get the Como it will be the 4, it seems like you get a lot of extras for the extra $...Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my left wrist. With the Como (I assume Vado as well), there is a screw you can loosen to change the angle of the grips. I did that I few times to get them how I like them. I have also found that wearing padded gloves helps. I bought the padded Specialized gloves.

Hi there, I'm new to the site and am enjoying all the great information! So I'm shopping for an ebike. I get tingling in my right hand when riding my Trek DS4. And it goes numb...prob Carpal Tunnel, but anyway I test rode the Como 3 and I Loved it! I wanted to change the hand position...I want to test ride a Vado also but I haven't found one yet, due to no supply. So my question is, Is the Vado's riding position as comfortable as the Como? It looks like it's more forward and may be the same issue as I have with the wrist as on my ds4? Everybody seems to love the Vado. I think if I get the Como it will be the 4, it seems like you get a lot of extras for the extra $...Thanks for the help!
The stock vado puts your weight more forward than the Como. I only sat on one, didn't ride it b/c the one my lbs had was too big for me, but bought the Como 3s for comfort. Seems to have worked out for me, but the Vados seem better for high performance. Stem riser and suspension seat not needed with the Comos.

We test rode both the Como & Vado models. The Como is more upright, the Vado more forward leaning. I, too, have Carpal Tunnel, but in both hands. We chose the Vados for this reason. I use Ergon grips with bar ends to minimize the hand numbness and provide more hand positions. After a year it's working out fine.

I also have problems with numbness in my right wrist and shoulder and found the more upright position of my Como 3.0 to be more comfortable than the forward position of the Vado. As mentioned I discovered that adjusting the grips in a way that minimizes the bend of my wrists is quite helpful as well. I would add that the "cup" saddle that comes on the Como has been extremely comfortable in my experience.

Have your LBS check your riding position, the short answer is too much pressure on your hands/wrists, but having somebody fit you to a bike is worth the effort. You don’t want one solution to cause a different problem.

What he said.
😉
He said you better see a bike-fitter if you're suffering from your riding position ;)
----------------
I found these grips worth every cent. Available in size small and large.

Since these are not the only Ergon grips I use, let me explain:
The GP3 are specifically good on the Vado. The angle of the grips can be changed by loosening a bolt but the little bar-ends are far more important. These allow holding the bars from outside and steering the bike as a boat is steered. You can adjust the angle of the bar-ends separately, so these might be almost vertical or almost horizontal or at any angle between (there is a scale at the bottom, so both bar-ends can be set at the very same angle).

The comfort of riding a bike with GP3s is hard to describe. Whenever you feel there is no need of braking, you just steer the bike like with a steering-wheel. It is good for your hands, arms, and... back. In case you need to brake, you can instantly move your hand grip into the regular position. If the bar-ends are set at, say, 45 or 60 degrees (from the horizontal), you don't feel the rapid vibrations from the wheels. Your hand-hold can be very delicate and the bar-ends will travel (slide) freely inside your palm. The control over the bike is far more excellent that way.

I'm riding almost exclusively with my hands on the bar-ends even (or, specifically) on long rides.

To compare, so-called "five finger" GP5s feel too large, too overdone (using them on my third e-bike).

1592419016794.png

1592420117386.png

Last edited:
Oh wow this looks very helpful! Thank you for the help. Right now for the DS I have a bar riser on order to see if that helps. Then I'll try the ergon grip. That looks quite interesting. As far as EBike selection my son thinks I should look at the Juiced Cross Current S2. You can't test drive though...What do you folks think of that bike as a cheaper option? I rode the Aventon Pace. Not too impressed...But the riding position was good. I'm not sure about the riding position on the S2 as far as my wrist comfort. It looks more forward than the Como I think? I sure appreciate your comments!

What do you folks think of that bike as a cheaper option?
The more you invest the more you get ;) Turbo Como is the high-end e-bike compared to the other options you mention. You'll be happy with Como, I promise.

Oh wow this looks very helpful! Thank you for the help. Right now for the DS I have a bar riser on order to see if that helps. Then I'll try the ergon grip. That looks quite interesting. As far as EBike selection my son thinks I should look at the Juiced Cross Current S2. You can't test drive though...What do you folks think of that bike as a cheaper option? I rode the Aventon Pace. Not too impressed...But the riding position was good. I'm not sure about the riding position on the S2 as far as my wrist comfort. It looks more forward than the Como I think? I sure appreciate your comments!
You'd probably get more focused feedback re the Juiced CC S2 in the Juiced forum at https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/juiced-bikes/ . Their bikes are more affordable with different components making up a good part of the difference. The CC S2 has a Chinese engineered rear hub motor as compared to the German engineered and manufactured mid-drive motors in the Como ebikes, a big $ difference right there.

Choose wisely...😎

You'd probably get more focused feedback re the Juiced CC S2 in the Juiced forum at https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/juiced-bikes/ . Their bikes are more affordable with different components making up a good part of the difference. The CC S2 has a Chinese engineered rear hub motor as compared to the German engineered and manufactured mid-drive motors in the Como ebikes, a big $ difference right there.

Choose wisely...😎
Thank you Guys! I know I’ll love the Como!

95% leisure country roads, small hills for the most part, but one huge hill leading up to my house which is not paved. I weigh 300 lbs and I am not in great shape at 73, and would prefer not to have to walk the bike up that hill. Do I need the 1.3, which will cost me a lot more money or can I get by with a 1.2? Other than that I think the bike will be perfect. Thanks.

My wife and I were in the similar situation. Both bigger people. I'm currently around 292. We went with the Como 3.0 for her and the Como 4.0 me. Since I'm a bit bigger than her I wanted the slightly bigger battery. So far we love the bikes. Worth every penny. Our riding is almost the same as yours. Mostly flat to mildly hilly roads with one big hill on the way back to our place. This hill i've seen semis and even cars slide backwards in the winter. Bikers generally walk their bikes up it. With me pushing 300lbs (plus I have the bag with all the tools and locks), I can put it in turbo and manage my gears to climb right up the hill with a little effort at 8-12mph. Most rides end with this hill climb and I'm averaging 2% battery per mile. No sweat 40 miles per charge. If I needed it, i'm sure I could get 50 miles on a charge. (hill pic attached)

I'm starting to play with the Mission Control App to change my settings. There are 3 standard ones to manage the output of the motor (Eco, Sport and Turbo). I generally only use Eco and Turbo. Other than the big hill, Turbo I put on just to get across stop lights/signs fast and drop back to eco. Just changed my eco to have a bit higher output and now I only use the Turbo for the big hill. Nice to never have to change.

One thing I would consider, a really good shock seat post. I'm going to look at the Thudbuster this weekend because some of our streets in Michigan are not that great and the extra shock absorption would be nice to ahve.

Thank you Guys! I know I’ll love the Como!

I have the Como 4.0. So far so good. The geometry of the bike feels great for me. The grips it comes with are better than what i've used in the past (not that I have much experience with bikes). I'm looking to maybe upgrade to the Ergon GP3 or GP 5 this weekend, If I can find some to get a feel for them.

Attachments

• Hill.png
    Hill.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 320
A few days ago someone mentioned that the Como 4 is a class 1 bike.
It is not.
It's a class 3 @28mph. Got one. It's awesome!
The Como 3 is a class 1. Wife has one. Also awesome.
I'm 225# and ride it like I stole it.
My friend is another 40+# and rode mine yesterday.
I had to chase him down with my wife's bike and lead him back to the barn.

A few days ago someone mentioned that the Como 4 is a class 1 bike.
It is not.
It's a class 3 @28mph. Got one. It's awesome!
The Como 3 is a class 1. Wife has one. Also awesome.
I'm 225# and ride it like I stole it.
My friend is another 40+# and rode mine yesterday.
I had to chase him down with my wife's bike and lead him back to the barn.

Correct Como 4 is a Class 3. Mine actually came with a Class 1 sticker on the top exterior of the battery. But the frame had a Class 3 sticker. Pulled the battery and reviewed label on the underside, class 3. and mission control, Class 3. Then proceeded to removed the class 3 sticker from the frame but leave the class 1 on top of the battery....just in case I go down a trail that is restricted. Lol.

Back