Which is better?

Nvreloader

Region
USA
I am always banging my shins of the bike pedals, when ever I am moving/parking/loading them.
Has anyone used these types of pedals, either folding or pop off styles?
Your thoughts or suggestions......Tia,

I have used the pop-off pedals from Flatbike. They work fine. You have to watch out for grit or sand getting in the mechanism, making them difficult to remove. If they get stuck, you may have remove them by pushing them from the backside, i.e. from the inside of the crank arm. Keep them lubricated. They were specially useful when loading a bike inside the trunk of a car, avoiding having the pedal scrape the trunk, and making it easier to fit the bike.

I'm a bit reluctant to use fold ups. I've had a few instances in my riding years where the rigid pedal prevented an ankle injury during a spill. IMO, pop offs would be a better choice.

I have the pop-off pedals from Flat Bike as well. Now they sit in their little included bag since I really like the ones that come with Lectric ebikes. Easier to remove and install. Spin fine for pedals. I also think they're "base" model Welgos, cheaper version then the fancy (but nice) Welgos Flat Bike sells. Only downside is the Lectric pop-off pedals have a bit of slop when installed. The Flat Bike was are solid when installed.

Last edited:
Might also help on car racks, although as long as I pay attention I can pre-rotate the cranks so they miss the other bike.

That folding handlebar (or the Flatbike rotating stem, which lets you keep your existing handlebar) is interesting for that, too, especially if you're using ramps to get a second eBike onto the car rack.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about a set of these type of handle locks,
I can make a 1/2" dia harden cable that can be looped around the main frame column/bar, and fitted where the handle is normally,
so the handle bars are cranked to 90* to the normal riding directions etc.

Remember how the Honda Trail bikes were locked, there was a key that turned up into the main frame, when the handle bars were cranked to 90*?

There will be a padlock on each disc brake also, to stop any rolling forward movement.
This for a quick stop to grab munchies/water etc.

Your thoughts.........

Like these

1718805805191.png

Nvreloader, those steering locks on motorcycles and scooters, that lock the handlebars in a turned position, are a joke. A good kick on two will snap the locking mechanism in the steer tube. Now, those brake lever locks, I have no personal experience with. I've seen people use them and generally hear no complaints.

CanNik, electric kick scooters love those folding bars. If going slow and not doing anything radical they'll be fine. I find them cumbersome and removed them on one of my electric kick scooters and went back to traditional style bars. My folding bars on the scooter never got "tight" and the vagueness in feel is what made me remove them. I ended up tossing the folding stem assembly in the recycle bin as no one wanted it. They did work, just never felt solid enough for my needs, hence the "slow" suggestion.

It's been my experience that anything mechanical that folds up, will fold up when it isn't supposed to.

This.

Not only that. Gumperson's Law predicts that this will generally occur at the most inopportune time.

And this.

I don't really see the point of the added weight and mechanical complexity. Both folding and quick release pedals are new places that can fail, and places a failure would really suck. My preference for moving the bike in tight spaces is to stand behind it and kick it vertically (so the bike is 90 degrees vertical on its back wheel) and just walk behind it, hands on the bar and finger on the rear brake to control it. I live in a small town on an urban lot so every bike that I ride needs to traverse my narrow alley (which has trash cans and stuff in it) and this is how I generally do it.

I do have bikes that are in what I guess would be called long term storage. I don't ride them very often and to make them easier to store I remove the pedals and loosen the stem and rotate the bars 90 degrees before hanging them on the ceiling.

Back