Which e-mtb to get back in the groove?

James Alderson

Hey, I have done a LOT of reading and watching videos etc, and I might just be asking this to feel like I am getting some advice from those who might have experience, or maybe just to write my thoughts down and see if I have already made a decision while doing so.. lol.

I am looking for an e-mtb to do (in order or priority) 1) fitness riding for weight loss 2) Fun rides with the kids in greenways and parkways around the area and 3) Light trail riding. I don't want to be a jumping crazy speedster youngster, but would be fun to get out on some easy trails.

I have a couple options local, and one that I would have to order. They vary in price, but not enough that it will sway me completely, but is a factor. Looking for feedback on which way any of you guys went if you were looking at the same or similar bikes.

1) Specialized Turbo Levo Expert Demo - this is a demo from a shop around the corner from me. That is a huge consideration when it comes to maintaining the bike, however, comes with no warranty as it is not transferable. The bike is $4600 plus taxes etc. The battery size is about average and the brose motor seems half decently reliable.

2) Felt LEBOWSKe 10 - clearance unit from a shop about 30 minutes from me in the downtown area. Stil, good access to maintenance and warranty work if required. It's a fat bike with no suspension except the big ass tires on it, but unsure if that is enough to do light off road stuff. The warranty is a great factor as is the bosch motor. The bike is $3500 on clearance plus taxes.

3) Bulls E-Stream EVO FS 3 27.5 - This is a bike that I would be ordering from a dealer in NYC. There are zero dealers around me that carry this bike so I would be taking a chance on the warranty. This is NOT the Plus version with the bigger tires, but is still a great bike with great reviews. Its on clearance as well at $3100 but not taxes and 100 dollars delivery drop shipped from Bulls in Germany. I am concerned with the distance for warranty, but the price is pretty good.

So, that didn't help me... I still see the good and bad with each.

Any thoughts???

Can't advise you on those options, and was gonna suggest you look at the model I bought last March...the 2015 HaiBike FatSix, but I don't see any available right now. They were going for about $3000 back then. Maybe you should consider it if you can find one. I had some issues with it initially, but they were basically due to my inexperience. Absolutely top-notch bikes. I'm a big guy, 6'3". I justified this "toy's" price by convincing myself that it'd help me get back into shape, and I can happily report 4-months later that it worked. I was about 280# and now down to about 245#. I chose a fat-bike because I was a fat-guy, and I wanted to be able to beat on it. Fatties are perfect for the snow and beaches (got both here), and the HaiBike in particular is pretty rugged; I've done a fair amount of diverse trail-riding...even crashed it a couple of times! This bike was built to last...still showroom stiff and solid after about 800-miles. I happiest most with the fact it's made getting back into shape seem effortless, and the fun of exploring off-the-beaten-path. Whatever your choice, I highly recommend going with a fatty.

I would definitively recommend buying from a shop nearby that can provide service.

I am curious about why the shop selling the "demo" Specialized won't provide a warranty. Usually, demo bikes are sold with the manufacturer's warranty. In fact, the first ebike I ever owned was a demo Magnum Ui5, and it came with a full manufacturer's warranty. Maybe that Specialized was actually owned and used previously and then put into service as a demo?

Hey, I have done a LOT of reading and watching videos etc, and I might just be asking this to feel like I am getting some advice from those who might have experience, or maybe just to write my thoughts down and see if I have already made a decision while doing so.. lol.

I am looking for an e-mtb to do (in order or priority) 1) fitness riding for weight loss 2) Fun rides with the kids in greenways and parkways around the area and 3) Light trail riding. I don't want to be a jumping crazy speedster youngster, but would be fun to get out on some easy trails.

I have a couple options local, and one that I would have to order. They vary in price, but not enough that it will sway me completely, but is a factor. Looking for feedback on which way any of you guys went if you were looking at the same or similar bikes.

1) Specialized Turbo Levo Expert Demo - this is a demo from a shop around the corner from me. That is a huge consideration when it comes to maintaining the bike, however, comes with no warranty as it is not transferable. The bike is $4600 plus taxes etc. The battery size is about average and the brose motor seems half decently reliable.

2) Felt LEBOWSKe 10 - clearance unit from a shop about 30 minutes from me in the downtown area. Stil, good access to maintenance and warranty work if required. It's a fat bike with no suspension except the big ass tires on it, but unsure if that is enough to do light off road stuff. The warranty is a great factor as is the bosch motor. The bike is $3500 on clearance plus taxes.

3) Bulls E-Stream EVO FS 3 27.5 - This is a bike that I would be ordering from a dealer in NYC. There are zero dealers around me that carry this bike so I would be taking a chance on the warranty. This is NOT the Plus version with the bigger tires, but is still a great bike with great reviews. Its on clearance as well at $3100 but not taxes and 100 dollars delivery drop shipped from Bulls in Germany. I am concerned with the distance for warranty, but the price is pretty good.

So, that didn't help me... I still see the good and bad with each.

Any thoughts???
Like Fitzy, I've reduced my load from 220 to 185 lbs riding my eMTBs. I live on a narrow, busy scenic byway with no real bike lanes, so I avoid riding on roads. I live right next to ~3000 acres of State Park with singletrack trails, fire roads and ATV trails galore, however, so I seldom have to...

My first ebike purchase was made assuming I'd never get back to the challenging, technical trails I rode in my younger daze - like you, I just wanted to get back on a bike, get fitter and maybe ride some "easy" trails. It was an "original" Sondors - single-speed, fat tires, but low torque and limited range.

I quickly outgrew it, however, and soon got into increasingly offroad-capable eMTBs. Now I'm not only riding the trails of my youth, I'm delving deeper, climbing higher, and riding twice as long as I ever did, even in my 20s and 30s. I've never been particularly athletic, but eMTBs nake me feel like I am!

I like my Bosch-powered LebowskE (not a CX motor though), but I like my Bulls E-Stream EVO FS3 Plus with Brose a lot more. I've never ridden the Specialized, but it has the same motor (tuned differently) as my Bulls and comes with Plus tires. If there's a chance you'll eventually find yourself on more technical trails like I did, this is the pick of your three, IMO.

On a well designed and equipped bike like Specialized, Plus tires make mincemeat out of rock gardens/roots etc., yet offer much tighter handling than fat tires. I have a full suspension Haibike with 27.5x2.4 tires, too, and come back from technical rides on it sore from the added jostling that my cushy Plus eMTB virtually negates.

The primary advantage of the Bulls is its 650WH battery. The LebowskE is only 400WH, and I believe the Levo is ~500WH. Again, you may eventually find that extended range to be a godsend.

Lastly, I agree 100% with Bicyclista about the local service aspect, and am equally perplexed about the "non-transferable" warranty on a Demo. My best guess is that it was purchased and returned, making it a used bike, Without a warranty, they should charge at least $1000 less!

I like my Bosch-powered LebowskE (not a CX motor though), but I like my Bulls E-Stream EVO FS3 Plus with Brose a lot more. I've never ridden the Specialized, but it has the same motor (tuned differently) as my Bulls and comes with Plus tires. If there's a chance you'll eventually find yourself on more technical trails like I did, this is the pick of your three, IMO.

I really like the Bulls Plus bike, but I found the non plus bike from last year for 3K.. the current 27.5 Plus is 4600... I read there are some bigger tires you can put on the non plus, but for 1600 bucks more, is the plus worth the extra???

Lastly, I agree 100% with Bicyclista about the local service aspect, and am equally perplexed about the "non-transferable" warranty on a Demo. My best guess is that it was purchased and returned, making it a used bike, Without a warranty, they should charge at least $1000 less!

Well that would be my guess too. I am guessing its a used bike they are simply selling as its a 7500 dollar bike and I am getting it for 4600, but thats if its a demo. If its used, which I will check on, then I agree. 3500 would be reasonable and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Why not get something like a giant aluxx for under $500 and then throw some quality DIY parts on there for under $1,000?

So, I totally blew my own question out of the water as I found a killer deal on a Haibike SDURO Cross SL that was basically half price. I figure I can see if I even will get on a bike and maybe get really into it, and if that happens I can go ahead and sink the 4-5K into a bike. The Cross is something that is rough enough for parkway and greenway, but definately not a hard core trail bike. But for the price, if I love it, I can pop a comfy seat on it and give it to my wife and maybe we can go out on some rides together..

Attachments

• Haibike-sDuro-Cross-SL-2016-Gents-eBike.jpg
    Haibike-sDuro-Cross-SL-2016-Gents-eBike.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 743
@James Alderson, Haibikes are some of my favorite emtbs. The Bulls was my first thought with their exceptional torque; however, Haibike really has nailed the Bosch system. Just wondering, if this bike is half price, are you getting any warranty with it? Do you know how well the battery has been maintained by the shop?

Even better, spend a little time test riding a few different bikes. A few hundred to a $1K difference might be worth it if you find the bike that fits you best and handles well for you. I like the idea that your wife could have a chance to ride with you, too.

The bike is brand new in the box... comes with full warranty and everything you get from a new purchase. I bought it from a store in California that was making room for their new bikes coming in and its a 2016 model so it was already a year out of date. This one is an SDURO though, so it comes with the Yamaha system, which everything I read about is good. I just figured it was a great way to get some fitness from a bike and see if the ebike craze is for me, at 1300 bucks, I can likely get rid of it for close to what I paid if its not.

Sounds like a really good deal then, James :) and the Yamaha motors are even more torquey than the Bosch. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have the bike for a while. I think you'll get the ebike "Bug" :D in no time at all.

I'd be interested to know where you found the killer deal on the sduro cross sl, I have been looking at that one, as well as an iZip Protour.

Back