Which Companies Make Multi Mode/ Switchable Class Mode Ebikes?

timacn

I have seen "Multi Mode/ Switchable Class Mode" Ebikes mentioned in discussions of the legality of different classes of ebikes, but I never saw any manufacturers and models mentioned. Could anybody tell me the names of the Makes/Models of such "switchable class" ebikes?

Thanks.

Thanks, Patricia. But I was talking about ebikes that were purposely made to switch between classes: 1,2,& 3. Such switchable bikes were referenced in some of the legal discussions on this site.

I've never seen any with a switch, but there are quite a few that are reprogrammable.

It is like asking for a switch that would turn a big truck into an ATV and then into Formula 1 car. The very concept of a Class is it must not be changed. Class is similar to Type Approval.

not a physical switch but Super 73 models have multi-mode systems….excerpt below…

Your Super73 is equipped with MultiClass Mode selection. The bike defaults to a Class 2 mode. It is the rider’s responsibility to follow local E-bike regulations. Be sure you are up to date with your local motor vehicle codes.
TIP You can find links to more information on E-bike regulations in the Legal Requirements section on pg. 8 of this handbook.
• To change the riding mode, follow instructions detailed in the mobile app controlling your display.
• Once in the app, you can change between the following riding modes: • Class 1 - pedal-assist only at 20 mph max speed.
• Class 2 - throttle operation and pedal-assist at 20 mph max speed. • Class 3 - pedal-assist only, at 28 mph max speed.
• Unlimited - up to 2000 watts of power and throttle speeds above 28mph**This mode is exclusively for riding off public roads and on private property.

Yes. I get that. But ebike class seems (to me anyway) to be based completely on maximum potential engine output and the speed at which the assist turns off. I guess that if those could be adjusted (other than just "eco," turbo," and the other assist levels) in some way that would satisfy the lawmakers, it might work. My question was prompted, though, because such machines were mentioned by other people who sounded like they knew a WHOLE lot more about this than I do.

It is much obscured and confusing in the United States Tim.

In Europe that was the pioneer in legislation, the things are very simple:
  • Low power, low speed e-bike where the motor can only work when the thing is pedalled -- is just a bike like any other
  • High speed and/or high-power e-bike (with optional throttle) is a moped, equipped with numerous safety features, and requiring a plate number, insurance, wearing the helmet, and a driving license. It has to be Type Approved for class L1e-B.
In the United States, the federal legislature has introduced the Class system, the best implemented by the state of California:

Any e-bike may be assisted by a motor up to 750 W.
  1. Class 1: Assistance up to 20 mph, no throttle, the thing must be pedalled
  2. Class 2: Same as Class 1 but there is a throttle and you may pedal the bike or just ride on throttle
  3. Class 3: Pedal-assisted, up to 28 mph. The thing can only be ridden on roads.
Now, state and local legislatures have never made a consistent set of laws, so you may ride your e-bike here but be banned from there. (For instance, it is very hard to legally ride e-bike in most of U.S. National Parks, while any e-bike is allowed to ride in any European National Park). Many U.S. residents simply don't care about the whole class system ("Who will ever check me?")

Having said the above: Disregarding the U.S. status, e-bike Classes were meant as something that must not be changed on given e-bike.

It is much obscured and confusing in the United States Tim.

In Europe that was the pioneer in legislation, the things are very simple:
  • Low power, low speed e-bike where the motor can only work when the thing is pedalled -- is just a bike like any other
  • High speed and/or high-power e-bike (with optional throttle) is a moped, equipped with numerous safety features, and requiring a plate number, insurance, wearing the helmet, and a driving license. It has to be Type Approved for class L1e-B.
In the United States, the federal legislature has introduced the Class system, the best implemented by the state of California:

Any e-bike may be assisted by a motor up to 750 W.
  1. Class 1: Assistance up to 20 mph, no throttle, the thing must be pedalled
  2. Class 2: Same as Class 1 but there is a throttle and you may pedal the bike or just ride on throttle
  3. Class 3: Pedal-assisted, up to 28 mph. The thing can only be ridden on roads.
Now, state and local legislatures have never made a consistent set of laws, so you may ride your e-bike here but be banned from there. (For instance, it is very hard to legally ride e-bike in most of U.S. National Parks, while any e-bike is allowed to ride in any European National Park). Many U.S. residents simply don't care about the whole class system ("Who will ever check me?")

Having said the above: Disregarding the U.S. status, e-bike Classes were meant as something that must not be changed on given e-bike.
Thanks, Stefan. I knew most of what you told me but you put it all together in a very clear package. I do think that ebikes became legal in US National Parks last year, but I might be wrong about that. Perhaps somebody can check on that for me. I would love to have a class 3 ebike, not so much for the 28mph but for the increased Newton meter pulling power for occasional steep hills on trails. The patchwork of laws because of our federal system does make it very difficult to figure out what you can do and what you can't do with ebikes. Thanks again for your help.

I would love to have a class 3 ebike, not so much for the 28mph but for the increased Newton meter pulling power for occasional steep hills on trails.
Hey Tim.
Did you know all proper e-MTBs were of Class 1, with torque up to 90 Nm? Add to it MTB gearing, with low gears at 20 gear-inches or even less.
Motors such as Specialized 2.1, Bosch CX, Yamaha PW-X2 (Giant SyncDrive Pro), or Shimano E8000 or newer EP8 come to one's mind instantly. All are of Class 1 and are used in premium e-MTBs.
If the matters are treated seriously, you can ride a Class 1 e-bike in a national park but Class 3 is banned there.

I have to check out those motors you've recommended. They sound like what I'm looking for. (particularly as I get older) In re National Parks: I think all Class 1 machines are approved (unless the supervisor of the park nixes them for some reason.) I assume that Class 3 bikes are banned, but I'm not sure. It is all very confusing and it's probably best to ask the rangers at each park what the rules are for each specific location.

Many manufacturers fail to put class stickers on their ebikes. As a result, some states maintain a comprehensive list of bikes and their OEM equipment to determine its class. Altering a bike to conform to a particular class may or may not make it legal. From what I've seen, it really depends on the officer as to whether you get cited or not.

Some manufacturers may offer to alter a bike to conform to a particular class standard but the idea of one that is switchable by the owner defeats the purpose of the class system. A better approach would be to support those who lobby for the alteration or elimination of the class system itself.

I have to check out those motors you've recommended. They sound like what I'm looking for. (particularly as I get older) In re National Parks: I think all Class 1 machines are approved (unless the supervisor of the park nixes them for some reason.) I assume that Class 3 bikes are banned, but I'm not sure. It is all very confusing and it's probably best to ask the rangers at each park what the rules are for each specific location.
Here's something to chew on for a bit. Let's consider an extreme, one of the more powerful motors available. The mid drive Bafang Ultra. Bafang rates it at 160nm. That motor has GOBS of torque available, can easily crack 30mph, but it can be electronically capped to run no more than 20mph. ALL 160nm of this torque is available to the rider at ANY time, until the speed reaches 20mph. There, it's reduced to the point the bike will go no faster.

That same motor can be "capped" at any speed you prefer (using the onboard electronics built into the display/controller), giving you some choices on the category you'd like to run the bike in. Category stickers, are available for 5.00. You can stick anything you like on your bike.

-OR-

Operate it in Florida. They literally don't care what category your bike is. You can ride it (in a sane manner hopefully) anywhere bicycles are legal.

to your earlier question, that could be the advantage of a switchable bike mode, to adapt the bike to the requirements of the road or path you’re operating on. it’s not a terrible idea to me.

if we assume the 3 class designation is not going away, then users have a choice of purchasing a faster, higher powered bike that may not be suitable or permitted on certain ways… or the could buy a more versatile bike thwt can be easily reconfigured to the path requirements to remain in compliance. such as a switch that limits speed to 20mph for a path that restricts class 3 bikes. to restrict the bike to human+motor power only (no throttle) for paths that allow only class 1.

not saying it’s an elegant solution, but an adaptable one that gives the user flexibility in the bike design.

many bikes allow some of this adaptability now it it is often buried in controller settings and overrides, but it’s perhaps only a matter of time before those settings come to the surface and become user-selectable “modes” that are easily taken and also changed without requiring adjusting the deeper settings. just a 1, 2, 3 mode switch, either physical switch or probably more ideally, something in the controller interface. perhaps something that could even be changed while still riding.

If you don't have a throttle there really is no law that can inforce class . A strong fit in his prime rider could take a class 1 and out do an old fart on a class 3 . You're only being assisted . A class one or Three essentially gives you the young guys legs to a point . As you don't have his heart and lungs :) Regulating How fast someone can pedal is delusional . It's like the US gun legislation . The left want to limit how fast you can fire a semi Auto weapon.??? Speed is in the hands of the user . Practice makes you fast and accurate . Doesn't matter what you are shooting . As far as you go . How old are you ? My wife and I are 65/58 . She has a class 3 but never goes past like 18MPH . Because she doesn't like it that fast . I on the other hand sometimes reach into the low 30's for a short bit . ECO Sport and Turbo . Doesn't mean you can go 28 in eco if you have the pedal power in you .

Basically any of the chinese import brands/chinese motor companies are pretty easy to modify to change the cutoff speed (or eliminate it). Its may not be as easy as flipping a switch, but its not usually more difficult than changing settings in a menu or maybe uploading a different firmware or unplugging a wire or something.

Strictly speaking, taking something like the Super 73 and setting the assist to cutoff at 20mph doesn't make it a class 1 bike, because it still has a motor capable of waaaaaaay more than 750 watts. But its almost completely unenforced.

There are definitely a fair number of bikes on the market in the US that are trying to pretend they are an ebike for safety/regulation purposes (meaning totally unregulated) but also wink-winking about how they can go 30mph+ on throttle. On private land only, of course. Obviously not legal in any state (too much power to be an ebike, but conforms to none of the safety regulations for a scooter), but at the moment its a bit of the wild west and nobody puts serious effort into regulating them.

Back