Which CO2 inflator are you packing?

98 SNAKE EATER

I've been trying to put together a lightweight repair/tool bag on my fat tire ebike just in case.

Picked up a small dual rate hand pump, extra tube, patch kit, etc., etc.

Tried the pump just to top off a few psi and soon realized that if I were to actually get a flat, it would probably take me LONG time to air up using that dinky thing.

I've seen CO2 inflators, but always figured I'd need to pack a bunch of them for a fat tire until I saw this video

So now I'm on the hunt for a decent one (preferably one with an adjustable valve)

Got my eye on this one from BriskMore, but just curious what you guys are generally using

I have 4 of these Lezyne models spread across multiple tool kits

- I know they work more than once and more than a few times without failing (from experience, sadly)
- they use a dial not a lever so no risk of it bending while getting bounced around in the bag.

I have looked at saving the $9 on the Briskmore and similar no-name units and have decided to stick with what I know works and can be relied upon, given the circumstances of its use (life already sucks it would suck worse to have my backup plan fail).

Also on the co2 cartridges... buy bigger ones. Before the bikepocalypse they were widely available in a 25g size in bulk on Amazon, 20 for $35. Now they are 20 for $49. But you can still just buy 5 for $18

Also...

+1 on the 25g cartridges. One will fill up my 26x4 fatties, at least enough to get by. (It's been a while since I've had to use one.) As for the tool itself, I like small and have never cared too much about other details.

And yeah, you have to have a pretty Zen attitude to fill up a fat tire with a hand pump.

TT

It's like 100 strokes with my floor pump (plastic Harbor Fright) to do a 26" fat tire. However, I don't carry a flat kit for that bike. From experience, it takes me two hours at home to change a 26x4 tire. I can't get them off the rims or back on w/o a lot of effort,

I have the same CO2 kit that fooferdoggie uses, I've only used it once in the field, Cracked the valve too fast and it dumped the whole cartridge in a 20x2" tube. I use small cartridges.

Well apparently one cartridge is good for approx. 30psi for a motorcycle tire. (190/55ZR17, 200/55ZR17)
It looks like these 45g carts are $15.140235 (sic) each, which is pretty steep. I don't see where it says the price was for multiple carts, but regardless, this and the other link you posted both say these are no longer available, at least from them. I've never seen a 45g CO2 cart offered anywhere and wouldn't buy them anyway at anything close to $15 each. But yeah, I can believe they might take a motorcycle tire to 30 lbs.

25g carts can be hard to find, and more so if you wait for reasonable prices, which happen from time to time.

TT

Combat approved 👌🙌.
Compressed Airshot $

I like the idea of being able to refill (all of my cars have 200psi OBA systems), but way too big to carry on my bike

I'm actually leaning towards the BriskMore inflator

I like the fact that it's not plastic, has a control valve and threads onto the valve stem rather than press on

Also Amazon has a 5 cartridge combo for $25.99 shipped + an added 5% off coupon at checkout

I like the idea of being able to refill (all of my cars have 200psi OBA systems), but way too big to carry on my bike

I'm actually leaning towards the BriskMore inflator

I like the fact that it's not plastic, has a control valve and threads onto the valve stem rather than press on

Also Amazon has a 5 cartridge combo for $25.99 shipped + an added 5% off coupon at checkout

thats why I bought the one I have it threads on and the lever is easy to move when tis cold out.

You're saying $15 is too expensive?

Here, check out Fortnine.
They have one $52.99 Canadian. (300g) :eek:
The 152g and 182g are out of stock, but they have the 300g cartridge.
I'm not surprised there are larger cartridges for things like inflatable life rafts or whatever. They are probably impractical to carry in a bike tool bag.

Theoretically you can use a sealed CO2 cartridge over time after it's been pierced but I never like to count on that. I think the trick is to find and use the right size cartridge for your application.

I buy CO2 in 5 and 10 lb bottles to air up my 4X4 truck after deflating to drive on sand, etc

TT

I am actually in the process of completely divesting my various tool kits of co2. the single-use nature of it doesn't jibe with my need for a backup to the backup. I've had situations where a co2 cartridge does not fully seal a fat tire, but just gives it more air to run out while the sealant is slowly doing its job (this was back when I was using Slime, before FlatOut which works better and faster). Still, I have lived the dream of using the two cartridges I had, then having to resort to the backup hand pump (the Lezyne Micro XL fat portable). Thats 200+ pumps and let me tell you life sucks on a hot day sitting on a rock getting that done. It would be worse with any other portable though.

A little over a year ago I went to a small compressor pump that runs off my ebike battery. Its been a great success, and I have never had one fail on me (I think I have four of them spread across multiple kits). I continued to carry the Lezyne hand pump as a backup.

Recently I started taking 2Fat out on some remote beach rides where I need to ride several miles on a paved path to get to the start, then several miles on the deep sand, then back home again over pavement. So I am now deliberately airing from 15 psi to 5 psi and back again on each ride. I decided I did not want to rely on just one compressor (it is soooo nice just to fire the thing up and relax and watch it work) so I bought a commercial pump with its own battery. I got the one with the biggest battery I could find that wasn't BS'ing people about its battery size.

Its been awesome. The new one is the primary and the one that runs off my battery is the backup. If I wanted to go cheap I could do two of the latter as they're half the price. I'm always using panniers so I can afford the space.

..., but bottom line: No more co2 for me.

I use this guy at home with a better head.
IMG_3769.jpeg

Same here

I have dual 200psi compressors on my rig, but also have a CO2 tank as a backup
Nothing of value to add - just want to say I love your 80 Series. HDJ , FJ, or FZJ? Had a '95 FZJ80 3X-locked, greatest vehicle I ever owned and I still kick myself for selling it.

Thanks

97 FZJ80 Locked with over half a million miles on her and she still drives like new
I sold mine w/ 255k mi on it, new owner drove it from US East Coast to Alaska where he lived, last I heard from him it had over 350k and the engine still hadn't been opened up/head never had been taken off. Talk about an awesome vehicle.... Dang, now I need to find me another!

My only complaint with her is that she drinks more gas than any of my vehicles

13 City/14 Hwy before I added 1700 lbs. worth of armor and recovery gear

Gets around 8 or 9 now

Not good when I have a 90 mile daily commute lol

I bought a 48V from Banggood or ALiexpress . And parroted this post.

Just how practical are CO2 kits with 2.5” and wider tires? Missed m@ post.
Ha! just when you think you are oh so smart and figured out something new, it turns out you were the last one to the party. Looks like that guy found the same pump two years before I did. Mine came from an Amazon search.

Back