Pumping up Presta / Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

I've been using this setup for years and it works GREAT !
Link: https://a.co/d/8cFtIJv
Enjoy !!!!

View attachment 149886
Thanks just what I needed. Sick of using adaptor to inflate Presta valves.

Once while inflating on side of road valve unscrewed evertime I unscrewed pump hose. Had no pliers to tighten valve so rode home with hose attached. Didn't like these valves before this incident hate them now but don't want to drill out my rims for Schrader tubes.

Once while inflating on side of road valve unscrewed evertime I unscrewed pump hose. Had no pliers to tighten valve so rode home with hose attached. Didn't like these valves before this incident hate them now but don't want to drill out my rims for Schrader tubes.
lately I have found presta valves loose on new tubes. now I tighten them out of the box.

Yes, I had that problem. My pumps would not seal well. Even the huge stainless steel community pump they installed at the bike path was problematic. I use Shrader adapters on the Presta valves.
I have a small capacity pump which is designed to not let any air escape whether attaching or detaching from the valve. It does work. If I remember correctly, I got it to inflate air suspension boosters on a camper, which have such small capacity you can't afford to lose any air when you detach the pump. It has a built-in pressure gauge. Don't remember brand or where I got it. It's small enough to take with the other biking tools one carries.

I just changed worn out tires on one of my cargo bikes over the weekend, and that meant having to deflate two presta valve tubes, then reinflate.

Standard drill: You park the bike so each valve stem is at about 1 0'clock. That puts it up high and at an angle so the copious amounts of sealant inside the tube drain away. After letting it sit for five minutes (I use the time to gather up my tools and such on the porch where I am doing the work on the bike) I deflate the tubes. Only a spritz of sealant at the beginning and the rest is clear air.

Then the wheels come off the bike, and the tires/tubes come off the wheel. Airing the tubes back up is just done mindful of where the valve is in relation to keeping sealant away from it. A little air just to seat the bead loosely, check around to make sure the tire hasn't sat on the tube anywhere, then mount the wheel on the frame, still mostly deflated.

From there, tubes filled to full psi via a little electric pump with screw-on chuck that releases zero air when removing it. This is the pump I used. Plenty of battery to do two 26x3.0 tires and still show full afterwards. Can't say enough how great it is to go to a portable electric pump and leave manual ones in the dustbin of history.

cycplusa7.jpg

Last edited:

If you should want to drill out rims for schrader valves, a step drill is the proper tool. It's designed to enlarge holes.

Back