Which CO2 inflator are you packing?

I Carry this on my bike :)
IMG_3769.jpeg

Xiaomi has proven to be a reliable brand of Chinese electronics devices. Their pumps, powered by 18650 batteries look quite interesting. I'm liking tools that are powered with the same 18650 batteries I run my eBikes on.

There are several models and still some older versions being sold. Sounds like the newest upgrades are a winner.

This is the one I bought in November and is now my primary pump, shifting my 48v DIY to a backup. Its $45 with a coupon Amazon wants me to use.

616q7mMkWyL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

Claimed battery capacity is 2600mah. I have no idea what the conversion rate is from Chinese mah to SI mah, but its capacity seems to be *more* than enough for a ride. I have aired down two 26x4.8 tires to 5 psi and then put them back up again to 15 psi. All while smugly standing and watching it do all the work. The battery level on its little screen loses only one bar out of I think 5. The one drawback is the need to recharge. However I did forget to do that once and was able to re-use it for a second set of refills on the next ride, and only lost another bar.

It doesn't seem to heat up so bad but it does get hot at the nozzle at the pump body. Not enough to burn but enough to make me take my time moving from one tire to the other to let it cool.

The Presta adapter is handy. Screws into the hose and then screws onto the presta valve, which lets me stand up/back and watch (I'd sit but by that time my ass needs a break and I stand).

This is the one I bought in November and is now my primary pump, shifting my 48v DIY to a backup. Its $45 with a coupon Amazon wants me to use.

View attachment 111552

Claimed battery capacity is 2600mah. I have no idea what the conversion rate is from Chinese mah to SI mah, but its capacity seems to be *more* than enough for a ride. I have aired down two 26x4.8 tires to 5 psi and then put them back up again to 15 psi. All while smugly standing and watching it do all the work. The battery level on its little screen loses only one bar out of I think 5. The one drawback is the need to recharge. However I did forget to do that once and was able to re-use it for a second set of refills on the next ride, and only lost another bar.

It doesn't seem to heat up so bad but it does get hot at the nozzle at the pump body. Not enough to burn but enough to make me take my time moving from one tire to the other to let it cool.

The Presta adapter is handy. Screws into the hose and then screws onto the presta valve, which lets me stand up/back and watch (I'd sit but by that time my ass needs a break and I stand).
Yeah, that one was in the running for me too. Love the battery size. Only knock for me was it wasn't going to fit in my trunk bag otherwise I'd have snagged it!

Yeah, that one was in the running for me too. Love the battery size. Only knock for me was it wasn't going to fit in my trunk bag otherwise I'd have snagged it!
Yeah since I am running at least two panniers on every ride I am fine on space. On my enduro where I am riding with a backpack battery (that handlebar bag only has wallet, phone and keys in it and I try and leave it as empty as possible), I am keeping just one pump with me - one of the 48v units sitting as a sort of cap atop the inside of my hardshell Boblbee pack.

I may add co2 into that pack as its is a better choice for a fast just-in-case fill on those tubeless tires. Given I am pulling a bunch of 25g cartridges out of 3 or 4 packs I certainly have plenty of supply now.

PXL_20211216_230846291.jpg

PXL_20220105_173905635.jpg

View attachment 111552

I see it uses a USB to recharge. The cable is pretty short but if you could get a longer cable and you have a USB port on your battery, would you be able to run it off of that if the battery was dead?

The only problem I would have with those is, how long can it sit around and still hold a charge? And how long will the battery last before it will not charge again?

I wonder that because a few years a go my wife bought me one of those small battery packs that you could use to recharge phones and stuff. Even came with small jumper cables saying you could jump start your car. She though it would be great to carry on my motorcycle when we went on trips just in case ( we had to push start me bike one time). Tested it, it worked. Put it away and then went to try it out again about a year later and it was dead. Went to recharge it and nothing, could not get it to charge.

Bruce

Not kidding. I carry this. I know it is overkill but it really works well on my 4.5" Fat tires. My tires, my friends tires, strangers with flat tires, one can lasts a long time.

fxflt.jpeg

I see it uses a USB to recharge. The cable is pretty short but if you could get a longer cable and you have a USB port on your battery, would you be able to run it off of that if the battery was dead?

The only problem I would have with those is, how long can it sit around and still hold a charge? And how long will the battery last before it will not charge again?

I wonder that because a few years a go my wife bought me one of those small battery packs that you could use to recharge phones and stuff. Even came with small jumper cables saying you could jump start your car. She though it would be great to carry on my motorcycle when we went on trips just in case ( we had to push start me bike one time). Tested it, it worked. Put it away and then went to try it out again about a year later and it was dead. Went to recharge it and nothing, could not get it to charge.

Bruce
It is a USB C plug so I'm happy its using that emerging standard (the EU just passed - yet another - law that says USB-C has to be the standard for charging phones). I have bought 6-ft USB-C cables for use at home so one of them - or a 3-footer, they are all cheap on Amazon - could easily then be plugged into your display USB plug and tossed into a handlebar bag or similar. You could charge it for later use but I can't imagine it would run live off that connection.

Since these are 18650's inside, the charge should last almost indefinitely - at least months. For me so far its lasted for about three weeks without any appreciable drain.

Let a li-ion sit for a year and thats a normal risk (charge drops due to some miniscule drain and it goes below the level where the BMS will allow it to charge... dead pack unless you can disassemble it and feed current in directly to the cell, bypassing the BMS). If you give the pack a freshen-up charge every 3 months or so you should be able to prevent the situation you experienced indefinitely. The pack will wear out from use first. Probably 400-600 charge cycles?
Not kidding. I carry this. I know it is overkill but it really works well on my 4.5" Fat tires. My tires, my friends tires, strangers with flat tires, one can lasts a long time.
I'm sure it works, but I prefer putting in a sealant that is designed to prevent air loss - roadside, all I need do is pull out the nail, jagged metal strip or whatever and spin the wheel. poof. sealed. FlatOut is the darling of the biking world right now and for good reason. It never dries out and for tires up to at least 40-50 psi it works a treat.

Convert rim to tubeless. Use tubeless ready tires. Get a Stans plug kit. Have an innertube for an emergency. It will take 4 16g CO2 to get about 10 psi in a 26x4 tire. Best solution is prevention. Tubeless will seal most punctures. I use the Endurance Orange sealant.

I use this one for both the ATV/with mushroom plugs and Ebike, works great,
You can use the 16 grm/12grm cartridges, threaded or non threaded cartridges,
with the 12 grm cartridges just use a stack of Nickles, to make up the length difference of the 16 grm necked,
This inflator will hold the unused co2 after filling the bike tires, takes 2-1/2 12 grm to fill my 26x48 fat tires,
these 12 grm are for use in air guns and I carry 12 of them in the bike pack..

HTH's,
Don

Back