Which Boomerang Platinum Battery to get?

Eu224

Region
USA
Wife and I were in local Pedego Store today looking at and testing Pedego Boomerang and Interceptor step-thru Platinum bikes. We really like them because we both have balance and leg lift issues but want to keep riding as we have for the last 60 years on road bikes. Yes, we're 70+ years young. We want a reliable local bike shop which can maintain and fix our bikes without hassles. Platinum seems to check all the right boxes for us. However, we are being offered two battery upgrades. First, the Pedego website indicates stock battery for this bike is 48V 10Amp. I thought I heard the store owner say Platinums come with 52V 10Amp battery. Can anyone confirm? Maybe I heard wrong.

Store owner offered two battery upgrades. One is a 52(48?)V 15Amp and other is 52V 17.5Amp. Apart from getting more distance from upgrade batteries do owners have an opinion on other factors to consider. I'm 5'10, 205lbs and wife is 5'5, 145lbs if that makes a difference. We don't plan to go over 30 miles on any one outing but we do have some hills in the Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia area where we ride. If you're familiar with Washington D.C. Mount Vernon Trail or Prince William National Forest hard surface circuit, it's hills on that type of trail we normally have ride over.

Any opinion or other considerations regarding these batteries would be welcome. Store owner is offering to negotiate on price of upgraded batteries.

Additionally, we're in the market for a new bike rack for this type ebike to fit our factory 2" hitch on Lexus RX-330, because our old rack won't handle the weight. Any suggestions?

We bought our two Boomerangs (a 24" and 26" inch) in February. Both have the 48v 15amp batteries. The store owner said he doesn't even order the 48v 10amp batteries because "everyone wants the bigger one". I don't know the additional cost of the new 52v 17.5amp battery when buying the new bike, however speaking with a store employee today I was told if I wanted to simply buy the new 52v battery it is around $1500.

The 48v 15amp battery inn my Boomerang will easily get 50 miles or more on one charge depending on speed, hills, etc.

We have the Thule Easyfold XT2 hitch and it works great. We also bought the optional extended length ramp which makes loading the bikes on our SUV easier. The Thule Easyfold rack is expensive but one of the main advantages is how compact it is when folded up. The wheels on the bottom make it easy to move from the garage to the vehicle. It's like rolling a suitcase. There are a number of videos about this rack, but this one is the best:

I hope this info helps in your decisions.

Thanks darksky. Appreciate your info. If we get these bikes we will opt for larger battery than stock version though not the $1500 version. Also trying to find the Thule hitch rack but sold out everywhere. Extended ramp makes good sense.

Wondering if you have had any issues with your bikes and how you like them for your needs. We are looking at 24" for wife and 26" for me. On our short test ride we found the throttle responsive and PAS just about right after it was set to European mode. Any problem with that low step-thru bottom frame bar hitting the ground? While some may think these bikes look odd they are perfectly suited to those of us who have leg/knee flex or hip problems with climbing off normal bikes.

Have you added any accessories like mirrors, bells, phone holders, cup holders, etc. and do you have recommendation on what works on these handlebars?

I have 5 of these 48V, 15AH batteries which I use in my three Platinum Interceptors. These batteries fit the Pedego Boomerang, Interceptor and City Commuter bikes. I usually get between 35 and 50 miles per charge.

Although Pedego rates them as 48V, they are in reality 52V batteries

Keep in mind that these batteries loose some capacity as they age. Buying the bigger battery now, even though you don't need it, can mean it will have a longer useful service life.

Another consideration is this: Although you plan on 30 mile outings now, you might like e-biking so much that you wind up riding much further.

IMO, the bigger the battery the better. I would have purchased the 17.5 AH size had they been available when I bought my bikes.

BTW, welcome to the forum and good luck with your Boomerangs!

Thanks darksky. Appreciate your info. If we get these bikes we will opt for larger battery than stock version though not the $1500 version. Also trying to find the Thule hitch rack but sold out everywhere. Extended ramp makes good sense.

Wondering if you have had any issues with your bikes and how you like them for your needs. We are looking at 24" for wife and 26" for me. On our short test ride we found the throttle responsive and PAS just about right after it was set to European mode. Any problem with that low step-thru bottom frame bar hitting the ground? While some may think these bikes look odd they are perfectly suited to those of us who have leg/knee flex or hip problems with climbing off normal bikes.

Have you added any accessories like mirrors, bells, phone holders, cup holders, etc. and do you have recommendation on what works on these handlebars?
We've not had any problems with our Boomerangs. No problems with the low step-thru hitting the ground. I can't see that ever being an issue since you really shouldn't be riding a Boomerang in extreme mountain-bike terrain. We added the Pedego "sleek bell" and left side mirrors to our bikes at time of purchase along with the Pedego foldylock which gives you five years of theft protection. You can download the Pedego owner manual online for more info. The Boomerang has a tool-free stem/handlebar adjustment which is really nice for fine tuning the position to suit you.

Yes the Thule Easyfold rack is hard to find at times, but well worth the effort of finding one. Check with your local REI store if you have one. My local REI doen't have them actually in stock at the store, but can be ordered shipped to store.

Back