Boomerang Walk Assist Mode, Garage Hoist Capability, Handlebars, and Mirrors

Eu224

Region
USA
As we get close to purchasing our Boomerang Platinum for wife and Intercepter Platinum Step-thru for me, wondering if they have a walk assist mode like most ebikes using the minus button on the display controls. If not, is the throttle sensitive enough to allow a walk assist mode without bike zooming away?

Second, does anyone use a garage hoist to raise these off the floor for storage? Several hoists on Amazon indicate they will hold up to 100lbs. If you do use a hoist do you connect handlebars and seat back to the lift hooks? Will they handle the weight of this heavy bike hanging for long periods without damaging the handlebars and seat? We have limited garage space in our townhouse so many things tend to be stored overhead for max space utilization.

Third, I like the Interceptor models but not the big wide handlebars. Pedego store owner indicates he can swap Boomerang narrower adjustable handlebars with Interceptor handlebars. Has anyone done this? Does this still provide a good upright ride position without problems?

Fourth, do the endcaps come off the handlebar grips to allow attachment of End Mirrors? I don't want to cut holes in the end of the handgrips on new bikes. If endcaps are removeable, have you found a mirror which works well with these bikes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Pedego mirror (select left or right side or both) fits on the handle bar rather than on the end of the handle bars. They are very good mirrors. We have left side ones on our two Boomerangs. Switching to Boomerang style handlebars allows for an upright ride position. A number of people do not like the wide Interceptor handlebars and choose this swap. I have found the throttle is too sensitive to allow a walk mode. A few times I've wished for a walk mode but not a deal breaaker.

Will they handle the weight of this heavy bike hanging for long periods without damaging the handlebars and seat?
No and never.

There is way much more tortional and sheering stress on welds and fasteners with the weight on the rider on it during usage.

From the bike's point of view, it sees itself idle and safely doing nothing at all, as it is suspended from ceilings, whatever.

No and never.

There is way much more tortional and sheering stress on welds and fasteners with the weight on the rider on it during usage.

From the bike's point of view, it sees itself idle and safely doing nothing at all, as it is suspended from ceilings, whatever.
I presume you are saying these bikes should never be stored suspended on bike hoists. And your rational is what exactly? Bike welds and other stresses of hoisting might lead to damage of the bike? Have you experienced a problem with bike hoists?

The Pedego mirror (select left or right side or both) fits on the handle bar rather than on the end of the handle bars. They are very good mirrors. We have left side ones on our two Boomerangs. Switching to Boomerang style handlebars allows for an upright ride position. A number of people do not like the wide Interceptor handlebars and choose this swap. I have found the throttle is too sensitive to allow a walk mode. A few times I've wished for a walk mode but not a deal breaaker.
darksky,
Thanks. Just the information I needed so I know what to expect. We'll search for a handle bar mirror and avoid using throttle for walk assist. Wish Pedego would update their controllers for walk mode as virtually every ebike now has this feature.

I was answering to what I had quoted.

Please re-read.
Okay...got it. Being north of 70+ yrs young I had to find my reading glasses to closely read your answer. No incivility intended. Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
The Boomerang and Interceptor Platinum bikes do not have walk assist mode, however I frequently use the throttle to walk the bike. It takes a little practice and you should always keep one hand on the brake lever.

I did not like the OEM handlebar either on my Platinum Interceptor and immediately swapped it for a BMX style bar. From there, I eventually went with Jones H bars which to me, are ideal. Swapping bars is easy and takes about a half hour. There is plenty of slack in the wiring harness and control cables.

I did not care for the stock grips and swapped them for the ergo style. I find they provide a better level of wrist comfort on long rides.

I use a helmet mount mirror so I can't help there.

You should have no problem attaching a lift to the bars & seat. These bikes are very well built and will easily stand the forces involved. I would however remove the battery during storage to reduce the weight a bit.

BTW, welcome to the forum and good luck with your Pedego's!

The Boomerang and Interceptor Platinum bikes do not have walk assist mode, however I frequently use the throttle to walk the bike. It takes a little practice and you should always keep one hand on the brake lever.

I did not like the OEM handlebar either on my Platinum Interceptor and immediately swapped it for a BMX style bar. From there, I eventually went with Jones H bars which to me, are ideal. Swapping bars is easy and takes about a half hour. There is plenty of slack in the wiring harness and control cables.

I did not care for the stock grips and swapped them for the ergo style. I find they provide a better level of wrist comfort on long rides.

You should have no problem attaching a lift to the bars & seat. These bikes are very well built and will easily stand the forces involved. I would however remove the battery during storage to reduce the weight a bit.

Thanks for all the info, advice, and walk mode tip using combo of brakes and throttle. There may be day we have to walk these bikes up or over some manmade or natural obstacles and we will practice your technique in a safe area.

I've seen the Jones H bar on a Rad Rover owner's bike and they swear by it so I'll have a look...really appreciate this tip if the Boomerang bar doesn't work out. The Jones H bar appears to have extra room for additional gear attachment. I'll also keep in mind that stock grips can be swapped. I really like end bar mirrors so we'll see what can be done. If not, a stock handlebar mirror will do fine.

Based on responses here I plan to hoist my Interceptor and Boommerang from garage ceiling. Thanks for your advice on hoisting.

I haven't found many places to get factual, objective, experienced owner advice and tips on these bikes so I'm grateful for all responses to my newbie questions...not to mention the high degree of civility.

BTW, I noticed your photos of your Intercepter which you have nicely modified for your needs. Impressive number of devices, bags, and accessories. As a retired aviator I can never have enough instruments to improve my situational awareness. So your biking instrumentation really intrigues me.

Thanks again for your warm welcome and advice.

Last edited:
Looking for hoist/storage system for garage for the heavy Rad Rover, can anyone recommend? Thank you!
This one will lift up to 75#

The pulley system makes it easier to lift a heavy bike. I do recommend removing the battery to make the bike as light as possible.

I've been using a garage pulley system for years from GearUp for kayaks with complete success and satisfaction. I recently got the same model x 2 for two Pedego Boomerang ebikes which weigh 50+ lbs each without battery. I believe the GearUp pulley system is a higher quality system than others which seem to provide inferior joist screws, poor rope lines, light duty pulleys, and lightweight aluminum ceiling mounts. Once this hoist's ceiling mounts are screwed into ceiling joists (directly or through ceiling drywall) with 2 1/2 inch long hex lag bolts, these things are rock solid. All parts are heavy metal with heavy duty bolts. This is a more expensive system than the under $25 hoists sold on Amazon and other places but you immediately notice the difference when you open the box. Pulley system is rated to lift 100lbs.

GearUp: 40030 - Up and Away Deluxe Hoist System (40030)

Last edited:

*****EDIT*****
I stated earlier in the above post that the Pedego Boomerang and Interceptor bikes do not have a walk assist mode. It turns out my 2018 Platinum Interceptor DOES have a walk assist mode.
The bike defaults to walk assist when the throttle is turned off. This is done via the "settings" menu on the display.
Hold the "Set" button for 2 seconds to enter setup mode.
Press the "Set" button 6 times to get to the "Throttle" mode.
Press the + or - button to set the throttle to "Off"
Hold the "Set" button for 2 seconds to exit setup.

In the "Off" mode, the throttle acts like an on / off switch. When twisted, the bike will move at approximately 3 mph but will not accelerate any faster if the throttle is twisted further

I don't know if this works on newer models though.

*****EDIT*****
I stated earlier in the above post that the Pedego Boomerang and Interceptor bikes do not have a walk assist mode. It turns out my 2018 Platinum Interceptor DOES have a walk assist mode.
The bike defaults to walk assist when the throttle is turned off. This is done via the "settings" menu on the display.
Hold the "Set" button for 2 seconds to enter setup mode.
Press the "Set" button 6 times to get to the "Throttle" mode.
Press the + or - button to set the throttle to "Off"
Hold the "Set" button for 2 seconds to exit setup.

In the "Off" mode, the throttle acts like an on / off switch. When twisted, the bike will move at approximately 3 mph but will not accelerate any faster if the throttle is twisted further

I don't know if this works on newer models though.
This setting works on our new Boomerang Platinums so I expect this has been around for a awhile. Our dealer pointed it out on initial checkout. Unless dealer points it out or you closely read the Owner's Manual it's not easy to find or understand since the Owner's Manual doesn't specifically state it is a "walk mode". It's not as easy as pushing the minus button on most ebike control pads but it does work for us. I forgot to reset after testing on wife's Boomerang and she complained her throttle was broken until I remembered to go back into settings and reset it to "On". Bad on me.

I now just use the phrase "walk - six - off" (WSO) to remember the walk mode. It's not intuitive.

I tried this on my Boomerang Plus (not Platinum model) and yes it's a walk mode if you walk fast.

The Platinum Interceptor does have a walk assist mode. You set it up thru the display. Read the manual or get the dealer to show you how. I don't have a Boomerang, but I would bet that has one also.

The Platinum Interceptor does have a walk assist mode. You set it up thru the display. Read the manual or get the dealer to show you how. I don't have a Boomerang, but I would bet that has one also.
Yes, all similar Pedegos have a walk assist mode by turning off the throttle in settings as others have indicated in this thread. I find it to be a fast walk mode and have not had much need to use it. It's not as easy as many ebikes with one button walk mode but it is available.

Back