Question about the NEW Platinum Boomerang Motor

darksky

Region
USA
I'm considering trading in my Boomerang for the new Platinum Boomerang. I like the extra features of the Platinum, such as the suspension fork, thudbuster seat post, 10 speeds, 52V 17.5A battery with larger taillight. I thought I heard the new Platinum with the 52V 17.5A battery also now has a 750 watt motor instead of the 500 watt motor on my one year old "regular" Boomerang. The Pedego website still lists the motor as 500 watt but I see discrepancies leading me to believe some areas of the site have not been updated. Can anyone confirm if the motor is now 750 watts? And any other info about the new Platinum is appreciated.

Pedego Twin Cities is advertising a 750 watt Boomerang Platinum:

It could be an error in the ad though. It's also sold out.

The motor could be the same one and they just upped the Amp rating of the controller a bit?

OP here with an update...
I got my new Boomerang Platinum, and yes it has a 749 watt motor with 52 volt 17.5 amp battery. The new battery has the larger, brighter tail light and with the Platinum edition the tail light has turn signals, activated by a switch on the handlebars. The LCD controller shows actually battery percentage (in addition to the bar indicator). It will also show number of times battery has been charged, and the actual current battery voltage. The bike has torque sensing in PAS levels 1 through 4, PAS 5 is cadence sensing, and PAS 6 is throttle only. With the settings menu on the display you can turn off torque sensing and it will be cadense sensing in PAS 1 - 5.
Coming from a standard Boomerang I really like the upgraded features, front fork suspension, Thudbuster seat post suspension, 10 speeds, and more indicators on the display (as noted above) and the larger tail light. Riding with cadence sensing for a year with my standard Boomerang, torque sensing is easy to get used-to, and I like the feeling of it.

I got my new Boomerang Platinum, and yes it has a 749 watt motor with 52 volt 17.5 amp battery. The new battery has the larger, brighter tail light and with the Platinum edition the tail light has turn signals, activated by a switch on the handlebars. The LCD controller shows actually battery percentage (in addition to the bar indicator). It will also show number of times battery has been charged, and the actual current battery voltage. The bike has torque sensing in PAS levels 1 through 4, PAS 5 is cadence sensing, and PAS 6 is throttle only. With the settings menu on the display you can turn off torque sensing and it will be cadense sensing in PAS 1 - 5.
Coming from a standard Boomerang I really like the upgraded features, front fork suspension, Thudbuster seat post suspension, 10 speeds, and more indicators on the display (as noted above) and the larger tail light. Riding with cadence sensing for a year with my standard Boomerang, torque sensing is easy to get used-to, and I like the feeling of it.
It looks like a major upgrade over the original Boomerang Platinum with many new & welcome features! I wonder if they will do a similar upgrade on the Platinum Interceptor.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride!

@darksky , is there a noticeable difference in acceleration with the 750 watt motor as compared to the 500 watt?

Do they have identical motor with different controller?

It says 500W nominal, but nobody knows the max power.
I'm not sure that ad is for the new 2022 model. All of the hub drive bikes on the Pedego website rate the motor at 500W yet some bike shops are selling new models with the 750 rating. This was confusing the OP as well.

Could be just "ad speak" playing games with the numbers. Hopefully, the OP can offer more information on the actual performance.

The easiest way is to look at the controller, do they have identical controller or does the "750W" model actually have higher A rating controller?
I'm also curious if motors are identical but they simply switched the controller, if that's the case.
Sorry if I don't understand the correct name of the various parts ... by controller, do you mean the LCD display?

@darksky , is there a noticeable difference in acceleration with the 750 watt motor as compared to the 500 watt?
I'm not sure as I've only ridden the last two days each ride for about 5 miles. Since it cn be switched between cadence and torque sensing, I've been leaving it in torque mode. My "regular" Boomerang had only cadence sensing, so It's difficult to compare, but plenty of acceleration The torque sensing certainly provides a very smooth acceleration curve. There's no instant jolt as with the cadence mode.

Timpo:
It appears that the controller is contained inside the sleeve the battery goes into, so it doesn't seem like I'd be able to see it.

All new bikes with the 749W motor as well as the Platinum have cadence sensors.

Back