Which bike

DanielGlacial

Hi everybody.

Just lost my job working sell MAN trucks, and with that my company car.
So i need some help desiding what bike to buy.
I hopefully with get a new work next week starting in may, which is around 18km or 11 miles away.
So back and forth around 38km"22miles".
I cant afford to buy a card, the running cost is to high to afford it with the new job.
Insurance, tires, taxes, gas, service and repair cost to much right now.

Well i want a bike that can hold up and also since i buying it get me out in the nature on my free time.
I used to ride alot of MTB when i was young, only hardtail, but electric is a new beast.

If money was no object or if i knew it would last longer since it was expensive this is the bike i want.
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electr...Haibike-sDuro-FullSeven-7.0-2017?filter=19,59
It got the new engine from yamaha and new plus size wheels which seem awesome.

Otherwise i am looking for maybe the Haibike SL line, is it ok or just cheap componets?

What do i get if i threw more money at Haibike, better breaks, gears ?

What i read no matter bike people seem to change casette and chain around 2000-4000 km ?

I will use a dongle of some sort, maybe speedbike rs i think its called. I need the speed since i pick up the kid at kindergarten so around 50km/h is a must to get home in a decent time. Would take me around 20-25 minutes then i guess.

So should i just go with cheapest Haibike hardtailr or even full suspension for comfort.

Or if i get more expensive does chain and casettes last longer ? The 500wh battery is good, but i think 400wh will last for dailycomute.

I will hopefully do some light jumping in trails or stairs in city envirioment im around 80kg so it has to hold up.

Another question also is, is it worth buying a better hardtrail example sduro 7.0 hard then a cheaper full suspension.

A million questions. I have ben reading the forum and hours of youtube videos but i dont find the echonomic part in this.

My calculation is if correct it cost me around 1 euro for 50 km of riding when it comes to chain and casette. If it cost around 100 euro to change.

Then it probably some other parts that need changing. Battery last around 2-3 years of heavy use i think, around 700 spare part.
Full suspension means more moving part to change or repair/service.

I am not interested in the trek kind of bike i wanna blast in the forrest/trails when i get time. I got a trek fx.7.3 collecting dust allready.

Your preferred bike, the Haibike Sduro FullSeven, is an excellent choice. I have the 2016 version, and I really like the 3-inch tires and the full suspension. I believe the 2017 model has a new Yamaha motor with more torque and a higher capacity battery. It should do everything you expect the bike to do, including your 22-mile commute and fun riding trails.

EXCEPT, you mention picking up your kid from kindergarten. You want your kid to ride on the bike with you? It's difficult to fit a rack and a second saddle (or cushion) on a full-suspension mountain bike. If you want to carry a passenger you would be better served by a cargo bike like the Radwagon.

Your preferred bike, the Haibike Sduro FullSeven, is an excellent choice. I have the 2016 version, and I really like the 3-inch tires and the full suspension. I believe the 2017 model has a new Yamaha motor with more torque and a higher capacity battery. It should do everything you expect the bike to do, including your 22-mile commute and fun riding trails.

EXCEPT, you mention picking up your kid from kindergarten. You want your kid to ride on the bike with you? It's difficult to fit a rack and a second saddle (or cushion) on a full-suspension mountain bike. If you want to carry a passenger you would be better served by a cargo bike like the Radwagon.

How is your bike holding up, about how many miles or km u got on it ? Will it last 2-3 years u think ?
I was thinking to put a thule bike trailer on it, would that be possible you think ? Then i dont have to pack things on the bike, and can even go shop with it, since i got luggage compartment as well.

The bike i mention cost 4300 euro about, what do you get except a bit better torque battery and full suspension if you compare it to the Haibike SL hard tail around 2000 euro cheaper.

My bike is holding up very well after about 1200 miles. I use it for recreation, not for commuting. I had punctures at first, but after I switched to thicker tubes I have not had a puncture. (The wheels are tubeless-ready, but I have not made that change yet.) I upgraded the handgrips, the pedals, and the saddle. The drivetrain and the electronics have worked flawlessly. It should last for more than 3 years, but I know the battery will have to be replaced.

I did add a trailer hitch for a Burley Travoy trailer, which is for cargo only, not for kids. I had to improvise an extension for the trailer to clear the rear tire. It works well, but now I wish I had a kickstand.

Make sure you can attach the Thule hitch to the Haibike. Does it attach to the rear axle?

A hard tail is not a bad choice, but you should count on buying a suspension seatpost. The higher speeds of an ebike make potholes a bone-jarring experience.

Good luck!

My bike is holding up very well after about 1200 miles. I use it for recreation, not for commuting. I had punctures at first, but after I switched to thicker tubes I have not had a puncture. (The wheels are tubeless-ready, but I have not made that change yet.) I upgraded the handgrips, the pedals, and the saddle. The drivetrain and the electronics have worked flawlessly. It should last for more than 3 years, but I know the battery will have to be replaced.

I did add a trailer hitch for a Burley Travoy trailer, which is for cargo only, not for kids. I had to improvise an extension for the trailer to clear the rear tire. It works well, but now I wish I had a kickstand.

Make sure you can attach the Thule hitch to the Haibike. Does it attach to the rear axle?

A hard tail is not a bad choice, but you should count on buying a suspension seatpost. The higher speeds of an ebike make potholes a bone-jarring experience.

Good luck!

Well the trailer sounds good, and i am not sure about if it fit, but i thougjt i make it work somehow :) My kid is 3 so its a few more years till he will ride beside me for adventures together :)
Thats what i heard also that saddle, grip and pedals are cheap parts even on expensive bikes. I mean this bike is like a good car :)

I just thought if i ride it for a year it practicly payed for it self with no insurance, gas , service, e.t.c. I know bike need service, but that cost more like 50 euro plus parts, not 500 euro plus parts :)
Yea i guess riding wih no suspension on the back in 50km/h kinda sux :) Lucky i got all the kids i want haha :)
Kickstands are a good thing to add, should invent a detachable kickstand so u can take it away when needed.

I still wonder that main diffrence is for that bike above and an full suspension Haibike SL. I guess more durable frame but chain and casette u always change, and engine is the same. But still it cost almost 2000 euro more.

The basic difference is obvious: rear suspension vs. hard tail. Full suspension makes dirt riding easier and more comfortable—through ruts, loose sand, rocks, etc. But it comes at a cost: weight and efficiency of power transfer between your leg power and the rear wheel. The bobbing of the rear wheel changes the tension in the chain. But in an ebike both the extra weight and the inefficiency are substantially mitigated by the power of the electric motor.

Also, my full-suspension Haibike came with a dropper seat post. I believe the hardtail does not—please correct me if I'm wrong. A dropper seat post is great for going downhill at speed—it lowers your center of gravity and prevents your body from going over the handlebars (or, at least, makes it less likely). A dropper seat post is also great for getting off and on the saddle at stops.

A hard tail might be a better fit with a trailer in that the trailer will not be bobbing up and down. It will also be easier to mount a sturdy rack onto a hard tail. So, perhaps better as a commuter bike.

Thule has this https://www.thule.com/sv-se/se/bike-accessories/rear-bike-racks/thule-tour-rack-_-100090
Looks easy to use for work and take it away on weekends if you wanna blast away. And also works perfecly with full suspension.
I also think trailer is ok if you put it down at the wheel not at the saddle.

Still wish i see some reviews on the new yamaha pw-x engine, especially with the dongle to see range and if it manage around 50km/h with decent cadence.

I also cant deside if i should get the cheaper Haibike Sduro SL, i mean same warranty and alot cheaper.

Back