Where Is It Legal To Ride Under Covid-19 Restrictions

In the UK we are allowed to exercise once a day only, its a bit unclear about how long you are allowed to go out for but I think most cyclists have cut right down! Normally at this time of year I would be out for at least 5 hours but recently I have cut that in half! Most of my local cycle paths are very narrow so I wouldn't go near them at this time but I ride mostly on the roads anyway, I'm lucky because I only need to travel just over a mile and I'm on quiet country roads!

All the county State/Park accesses are closed to traffic but I saw 3 people, two walking one riding on the dike but I have seen them before there.

Did get to stop and contemplate the lake which is on the other side of the Cape from me. While it is very close to the ocean tidal effect and that of the bay to the east, that today had lots of low tide exposure, it isn’t affected and the spillway in the lower corner was flowing well. I need to taste test the water and see how much salt content it has.

View attachment 48840

Need to figure out a wind craft small enough to bike over there with as the wind is steady there no matter which way it blows

Keep that bottom bracket packed with grease!!!

Attachments

• bikeboat.png
    bikeboat.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 313
Keep that bottom bracket packed with grease!!!

I'm thinking something more like this:

Riding my 29"er to sail my 29er sounds like it might work....there are some scattered homes across from the launch so maybe I can talk one of the owners into letting me leave the boat in their yard so I don't have to drag it over the hill....

I'm thinking something more like this:

Riding my 29"er to sail my 29er sounds like it might work....there are some scattered homes across from the launch so maybe I can talk one of the owners into letting me leave the boat in their yard so I don't have to drag it over the hill....
Hook that little trailer up to your bike!

I don't remember reading of any place that's not encouraging people to get outside for some exercise (not yet anyway!). They're just asking you to use your head about it. Our trails are closed here in Fl. but there are no rules against riding in subdivision/development streets. -Al

Hook that little trailer up to your bike!

Too much rigging....that was mainly a 29”er/29er dig. In reality a hobie cat would probably work better and cheaper. Or on second thought and some CL'ing probably I could drag a Lazer over there....

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 10.06.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 10.06.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Too much rigging....that was mainly a 29”er/29er dig. In reality a hobie cat would probably work better and cheaper. Or on second thought and some CL'ing probably I could drag a Lazer over there....

Inflatable wind sup? You could mix up the exercise options by paddle boarding / windsurfing / pumping the bl0ody thing up.....

I still have a cheap copy of an aquaglide multisport ( https://www.sailboatstogo.com/content/Aquaglide_Multisport_270 ) - not exactly a performance sailboat....but great fun when you get them planing then burry the nose in the water....Inflatables have come a long way since then.

Time for a happy picture - this time last year, drifting around the lake with nobody in sight, a pod of dolphins playing at my transom ( the baby dolphin coming out of the water) . A memory for WHY we need to stay safe - normal life will eventually return

Attachments

• 753D955E-117A-4A27-90EA-5BE307AA9487.jpeg
    753D955E-117A-4A27-90EA-5BE307AA9487.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 277
Reactions: JRA
Inflatable wind sup? You could mix up the exercise options by paddle boarding / windsurfing / pumping the bl0ody thing up.....

I still have a cheap copy of an aquaglide multisport ( https://www.sailboatstogo.com/content/Aquaglide_Multisport_270 ) - not exactly a performance sailboat....but great fun when you get them planing then burry the nose in the water....Inflatables have come a long way since then.

Time for a happy picture - this time last year, drifting around the lake with nobody in sight, a pod of dolphins playing at my transom ( the baby dolphin coming out of the water) . A memory for WHY we need to stay safe - normal life will eventually return

You haven't had fun sailing until you've buried the nose of a Hobie 16 at speed, with a guy hanging out as far as he can on a trapeze! Now that right there is REAL entertainment - especially if the mast is allowed to sink! Holy cow, those were fun times. I'm lucky to be alive! Thank You for the memories! -Al

I had looked into them already but none close by. The one in the CL pic is however and about $400...so right in my price range for experimental toys.

Not sure how much it weighs but if you look at the elev profile you can see what I am up against, I live all the way to the left....The road being out for auto traffic except for the first mile from here it would be passable. I normally don't do much braking going down the side toward the lake but I would want to towing a trailer for sure....

IMG_0295.jpg

Oh, and I already have an inflatable SUP but it doesn't do well in the wind. I've only used it on protected calm rivers for looking around the corner type exploring and for that it's good.

Last edited:
I'm in Tucson, and no worries with riding a bike anywhere, anytime. Even w/ the governor recently going to a state wide stay at home order (whatever you want to call it), he mentioned that the weather is beautiful now, get out and enjoy it. A Republican politician that said something that makes sense and that I agree with....that's a first!

In my mind, the chances of spreading this virus or getting infected with it are zero if you are riding a bike. I do like the idea of wearing a mask in public, as all of us could be infected and be asymptomatic, but I just have mine around my neck when riding and put it on if I go into a grocery store.

In places like Italy and NY that are hotbeds of virus, they are concerned that someone on a bike could be injured in an accident and have to go to a hospital, thereby pulling medical care away from corona virus patients in already packed ER's. So that's why they've clamped down on this in those situations. Here in the US, to my knowledge, it's OK pretty much everywhere except the really bad areas to get on your bike and go to the grocery, pick up your meds, etc.

Back