when will prices come down out of the stratosphere?

I think that today, you have such a wide range of components used (battery size and motor wattage for instance, quality of the displays, if it even has one), and the huge differences in manf/dealer support available, that you're going to see a wide range of prices. As somebody mentioned earlier, this is not unlike computers in the early 90's for instance.

But then, you saw the computers turn into something more like a commodity as the differences in component size and quality, mfg. and dealer support stabilized.

Point being, there would be no surprise here if the e-bike price range, from top to bottom, didn't narrow a bit in the not so distant future...

I was one of the early generation of computer users, just as I am actively riding an e-bike right now. -Al

I started buying computers in the eighties and the real computers, not the toys, were $5000, look what they are today. I just bought the latest and greatest with solid state storage etc for under $1000. Bikes will drop.

I started buying computers in the eighties and the real computers, not the toys, were $5000, look what they are today. I just bought the latest and greatest with solid state storage etc for under $1000. Bikes will drop.

Yes, my point exactly. The exception being if game changing technology were to appear. A REAL hover board for instance! ;^)

Apples to oranges; electronics is a whole different ball game. While computers have followed a Moore's Law trajectory, even an electric bicycle is a 95% mechanical item, so there's not going to be any drop in price from that end. They can't reinvent the electric motor either, unless someone discovers something out of Star Trek, like "transparent aluminum". The sticking point is battery technology and cost.

Consider the fact that at the time mentioned that computers were expensive a decent Deore equipped mtb was under $700 on the sales room floor yet at the time considered to be expensive.

I used to subscribe to bicycle magazine.. I don't think they ever reviewed a bike that cost less than 2 grand. This was just a few years ago.

I just got in from a 10 mi. ride.. Temp is 35f.. snow on the grass but not on the road. So much for hanging up the e-bikes for the winter. .I wore winter gloves, balaclava etc. and it wasn't too bad as long as I went slow. I agree that these bikes are priceless. I don't need to lose weight but I've been doing so much riding I can already feel I'm in better shape. I haven't been taking my typical afternoon nap because my energy level has increased. I'm sure the neighbors are looking out their windows saying "there goes that crazy guy on his $2,000 bike again" My wife loves her ebike too but declined to ride in these temps with snow on the ground. If I get grief again for spending 2 grand on a bike my new reply is going to be "what is your health worth?" They still don't get it though, they think I'm "cheating"... Sure, I'm cheating but it beats doing absolutely nothing
SNOW hit this morning. Just enough to make it dicy and slick. Those are the only days I don't ride in Minnesota. Likely to melt off soon and too soon for the studded tires!

I really don't care if someone asks the prices of my E-bikes. The conversation usually continues with other interests in the area of the mechanical/electrical features of the bikes. People in general having dying curiosity when they see something they are completely unfamiliar with. I don't mind especially if I can point them into a direction as to where they can also score a great bargain on one for purchase if they are still interested afterwards. Share the love IMO.

I just got in from a 10 mi. ride.. Temp is 35f.. snow on the grass but not on the road. So much for hanging up the e-bikes for the winter. .I wore winter gloves, balaclava etc. and it wasn't too bad as long as I went slow.

I need to get a baklava ..oh that's a pastry. Anyway I just got in too...32F but no snow on the ground. Sure was purty heading out. Didn't realize there was a stiff wind blowing out. All the way down to 10 mph at PAS 3 with a net 20-25 mph wind chill.

Attachments

• P1080213-2.jpg
    P1080213-2.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 344
  • P1080247.jpg
    P1080247.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 349
Most of the current ebikes at less than $2000 are really a $250 equipped bikes with the rest of the cost going to the battery and the motor.
Here is a list of the Best to Worst Shimano MTB groupsets. Most of the ebikes out there use the cheapest/worst Shimano components. Once you start seeing DeoreXT/XTR drivetrains then the price goes up and they also start using better motors as well as batteries (cause it would not make much sense to put a DeoreXT/XTR drivetrain on an ebike and then slap the cheapest battery and motor with it.
Deore XTR
Deore XT
Deore LX /DX
100GS
STX /500GS
Saint135
Saint150
Hone
Deore
Alivio /400GS /Exage
Acera /300GS
Altus / 200GS
Tourney

Last edited:
One big problem is the cost of good quality Ebike batteries. You can buy a decent doner bike for less than what you pay for a good quality battey. And battery costs are not really coming down anytime soon. Demand for these batteries is going up which will keep the price up too.

I also do not see battery prices coming down. I can remember when I could buy a car battery for under $30 now it's $100 plus.

Agree with you azoldtech about the cheaper frame, etc. I would add that many are purpose built, and that makes a difference. Bolting a motor and battery on a Walmart bike would be dangerous to say the least.

Look at the little 66cc two stroke engine kits being sold to bolt on the frames of walmart bikes.. 3 HP motors and nothing but a coaster brake in the back. Fun for the whole family! My Haibike came with Deore XT and wasn't much more than 2k. Of course it was end of year pricing. Love the shimano BR-M8000 brakes too but have no idea where they fall in the brake hierarchy.

Last edited:
I also do not see battery prices coming down. I can remember when I could buy a car battery for under $30 now it's $100 plus.

Yes, I just found that out recently when purchasing a car battery. They have really skyrocketed in pricing from dealers, not to mention at the local auto parts stores. The best I have found was to go to a local 'batteries only' dealer with a proprietary brand to save a few $$s.

Unless you are locked into for example an Apple iphone where their prices keep going up and up for pure wall street greed, even though it is just a mobile computer with just cellular connectivity. Eventually the customers will say no more (just as it seems to be happening right now with Apple with their dismal guidance and as their suppliers forecast a unit sales implosion going forward).

BTW, just bought a brand new amazing flagship OnePlus 6T from T-Mobile for $280 by trading in my OnePlus One for a $300 credit (my OnePlus One was purchased 4.5 years ago brand new for $299 - so T-Mobile credit me the full price I paid 4.5 years ago).

So like e-bikes and computers, the right prices for good products are out there but it's up to the customers to find them and shop around for them. Just like @DDBB did with his Haibike.

Most people that ask me about the price of my e-bikes are shocked. And I get the usual comments "you could buy a car, motorcycle ... for that". But nobody that is a bike person has ever asked me about prices. All of these interactions involving price have been with people who know very little about bikes and who don't ride at all or don't ride regularly (I assume this from a lack of general bike knowledge that exposes itself in the subsequent conversation).

I've mentioned here before but I didn't experience sticker shock when I first started looking at e-bikes. That is because prior to researching e-bikes I spent a year researching regular touring bikes and commuter bikes. And good ones with quality frames, components etc are not inexpensive. My e-bikes cost less or are on par with most of the touring brands I was looking at. Ultimately I didn't buy a touring bike (but hope to some day). I did buy a commuter bike one year prior to buying an e-bike. For my Spot (chromoly steel, belt drive, IGH) I spent $1,400 on the base bike - but then added a dynamo with lights, fenders, rack, changed bars, pedals, tires ... So easily into it for $2,400. So $3K-$5K for a purpose built e-bike with components built by companies with brand recognition, offering warranties etc doesn't seem out of line relative to what a high quality regular bike costs.

I can't count how many times I have had complete strangers ask how much I spent on my e-bikes. I would never ask that of someone but I don't necessarily mind when someone asks it of me. It does seem slightly inappropriate to me but I try to do my best and answer honestly without trying to justify to a stranger how I choose to spend my money. But the most unpleasant exchange happened just recently. I left an eatery after lunch and was unlocking my bike when a middle-aged gentleman with a union logo on his cap walking with his children stopped to chat. First question was "does that have a motor?". Second question was "how much does it cost"? It was the Tern GSD and I answered honestly. His response had a tone of disdain "hell you could buy a motorcycle for that". I might have responded with something lame like "yeah, their pricey" stifling my desire to answer a little more sarcastically. The chat abruptly ended and without a "thanks" or "have a nice day" he walked away with the kids and said loudly to them (but I assume moreso directed his comment at me), "we'll go home and make one that is way better than that for a lot less money". I wonder where he is on that project ...

I had another guy way over-estimate the cost of my Haibike. As I was unlocking at the bike rack, a middle aged guy in a business suit smoking a cigarette asked me "did that thing cost like $10K"? He sounded disappointed when I told him it "only" cost $4K. Kudos to Haibike for making a $4K bike look like a $10K bike. Maybe cost is largely a matter of perspective and priorities.

I was taught not to ask anyone what they paid for ANYTHING growing up so it kind of irks me when the 1st question about my Haibike is "how much did it cost" I tell them "around 2k but you could spend 10k on one if you wanted to".. I get the same responses. "you could buy a motorcycle for that".. I don't WANT a motorcycle, I already HAVE a motorcycle, would you like to know how much my motorcycle cost too? BTW, how much did your house cost?.. :)

Back