When does an electric bike become an electric motorcycle?

Who're ya calling an idiot? Don't you know that it's absolutely no problem doing that as long as the bike doesn't have even the tiniest motor, or (THE HORROR!) a throttle!
Im calling the idiot bike rider an idiot obviously for endangering pedestrians

Pedestrians. Children. Elderly. E-bikes share paths with them. Making new laws to regulate this growing product category is a proactive, progressive approach to public safety.

As e-bike riders, most of us would probably prefer less regulation. I'm pretty sure the general public does not agree. :)

"Think of the Childreeeeennnnnn!!!!! Oh Please.... Get off your fear mongering high horse Dr. Phil. There are already laws in place to protect people. More laws are not the answer and especially not laws that are clueless about how e-bikes actually work. How is a throttle less dangerous than pedelec and how is pedelec less dangerous than any fool on a bike who rides recklessly at 30 mph? You are simply playing into the hands of e-bike retailers who would love nothing more than to legislate DIY kits out of existence and force us all to buy crappy pre-made bikes like the one you bought. Keep putting your lives in the hands of politicians and see where we end up. Here's a hint. The ones with the most money win. ;)

It's all well and good that YOU chose to pay a premium for a very limited and government restricted pre-built bike. But by doing so you have limited your choices. And that's fine if that's what you choose to do. Why are you so invested in limiting OTHER people's choices?

It's all well and good that YOU chose to pay a premium for a very limited and government restricted pre-built bike. But by doing so you have limited your choices. And that's fine if that's what you choose to do. Why are you so invested in limiting OTHER people's choices?

Getting back on topic, when do you think an electric bike becomes an electric motorcycle?

Actually, that is not quite true... if you have a totally unrestricted 'ebike' or kit that is doing 30+ mph then it is legally considered moped/motorcycle class in Texas and many other states and requires registration, licensing and insurance. Thus is not allowed on trails with bikes. The whole argument of throttle or no throttle is ridiculous-the ebike rider is going to be pedaling on the trail to some extent whether they have pedal assist or throttle. I guarantee you we all have fought like crazy to keep city park trails and hike & bike paths open to ebikes that are not motorcycles since we all share the trails here. This is with the support of our local cycling advocacy group, Texas Bike Coalition. This is not about limiting the diy kits, but if your so called ebike does 40 or 50mph then why put pedestrians, cyclists and e-cyclists at risk. The whole idea here about sharing the bike paths and trails was that all users would be able to interact in a reasonably safe way.

Actually, that is not quite true... if you have a totally unrestricted 'ebike' or kit that is doing 30+ mph then it is legally considered moped/motorcycle class in Texas and many other states and requires registration, licensing and insurance. Thus is not allowed on trails with bikes. The whole argument of throttle or no throttle is ridiculous-the ebike rider is going to be pedaling on the trail to some extent whether they have pedal assist or throttle. I guarantee you we all have fought like crazy to keep city park trails and hike & bike paths open to ebikes that are not motorcycles since we all share the trails here. This is with the support of our local cycling advocacy group, Texas Bike Coalition. This is not about limiting the diy kits, but if your so called ebike does 40 or 50mph then why put pedestrians, cyclists and e-cyclists at risk. The whole idea here about sharing the bike paths and trails was that all users would be able to interact in a reasonably safe way.
I'm fairly certain that's what @bareyb meant. An electric bike designed to meet the MC standards will never be a bicycle and a bicycle with electric power designed to be used at bicycle speeds and power will never be a MC.

I agree with both posts.

I'm grateful the bicycle manufacturers are working on regulations that will benefit the majority of us!

I'm grateful the bicycle manufacturers are working on regulations that will benefit the majority of us!
I would prefer the people work on and pass regulations over the manufactures and industry groups proposing them. Slippery slope!

I would prefer the people work on and pass regulations over the manufactures and industry groups proposing them. Slippery slope!

Bicycle industry lobbyists don't pass laws. But I'm glad they are exerting an influence.

Back