What's You're Plan For Major Breakdown?

Robspace1

Region
USA
Just wondering what others plan to do when the motor dies 20 miles from home. Mine did two years ago. Peddling that was brutal over hills. I'm getting a second battery for the rear rack. More weight but less stress. AAA has bike towing available but you need to be on a street.

Assess my options based on current circumstances, develop plan, carry out plan. I never ride alone so always have assistance if needed.

1. Inspect and service all bike components regularly
  2. On top of that, make the bike bike shop floor perfect if you're going anyplace recovery will be ugly.
  3. Do a basic check of the bike before each ride. On a long day's ride I might check things like tires, chains, and brakes more than once.
  4. If a breakdown happens in the field in spite of all that, adapt and improvise enough to limp to a location where recovery will be possible.
As a general observation, quality bicycle components, quality batteries, and quality motors don't just fail all at once. Usually they will give you quite a bit of warning, and sometimes they will give you thousands of miles and months of operations during that warning period. Sometimes.

I ride mostly trails and have AAA insurance. I plan to walk the disabled bike to the nearest road crossing before calling.
I always let someone know where I'm going and when I'll return.
I inspect, use regular maintenance and carry tools to handle most problems.
I always ride with my phone and Garmin Inreach device to text in areas with no cell service.
I use detailed maps on my GPS. That way, I can make an informed decision as to what direction to walk the bike to get help. The maps tell me whether to backtrack, keep going or leave the trail to find help as well as provide the distances involved.

Ride uphill / against the wind :)

Well, that's what I do on pushbikes anyway. If you ride downhill on an outbound trip, and you're coming back to the same place, your return trip is uphill - when you're tired. If you do the climbing first, and you lose power or get tired, you can coast back :)

It doesn't apply to everyone obviously, but I can do this where I live.

Otherwise carry tools and spares, plenty of water, snacks, and some sense of situational awareness regarding distance from services. Don't buy a sketchy bike. Learn to work on your bikes. Most of my riding is in town these days, so I can use light rail/buses/uber/friends in a pinch. I don't really sweat the idea of a breakdown.

Lock it up and call my wife or a friend and go back for it. If I'm close enough, lock it up and walk home, grab the truck and go pick it up. Now I broke down 200 miles away from home on a motor scooter, with my wife on the back, and we called her sister. She rescued us and I went back and picked the scooter up.

All good stuff. If I had more gears, peddling would not be a problem, but with just 7, getting 75 lbs. over the hills is real hard to do. I do have a complete tune done every winter by the local bike shop. It was a electronic failure that shut me down last time. Battery just died. 6 months old! Fuse was good. Just refused to charge. 0 volts.Warranty got me a new one. As that battery is now in it's 3rd year, think I'll get a new one and carry the old one as a spare. Triple A is also a good option.

I do question the large number of people who depend on calling a family member or AAA when they have a mechanical.

My first big question is that mechanicals, especially major ones, aren't likely to happen in convenient places or at convenient times. So you might well be forced to wait for quite some time in some location that isn't very safe (for one reason or another). You also might be forced to limp under your own power (depending on how busted your bike is) to someplace where AAA can get to you.

My second big question is that even in the very best case, AAA or your mom isn't likely to be able to pick you up within half an hour. Depending on the nature of your mechanical and what you carry you might well be able to fix it well enough to limp home (or even ride home in good style) in that time period, if the problem is fixable at all under field conditions.

Maybe I am just ornery and kind of stubborn, but I think a healthy degree of self-reliance can do most people a world of good.

When I drove to the Yukon and back, I didn't have a cell phone. I had a tool box. I ditched the smart phone three years ago and am self-reliant when I ride. Being un-dependent is being independent. Feels good. I am not going to do a long ride without first going over a bike. I make sure to have on hand an inventory of what I might need. And also have spare bikes.

Just wondering what others plan to do when the motor dies 20 miles from home. Mine did two years ago. Peddling that was brutal over hills. I'm getting a second battery for the rear rack. More weight but less stress. AAA has bike towing available but you need to be on a street.
That is one thing that is important to me is that my bike pedals well without power and mine do. The motor dying and not having enough battery power can be 2 different things. I did purchase bigger batteries for extended range.

I do question the large number of people who depend on calling a family member or AAA when they have a mechanical.

My first big question is that mechanicals, especially major ones, aren't likely to happen in convenient places or at convenient times. So you might well be forced to wait for quite some time in some location that isn't very safe (for one reason or another). You also might be forced to limp under your own power (depending on how busted your bike is) to someplace where AAA can get to you.

My second big question is that even in the very best case, AAA or your mom isn't likely to be able to pick you up within half an hour. Depending on the nature of your mechanical and what you carry you might well be able to fix it well enough to limp home (or even ride home in good style) in that time period, if the problem is fixable at all under field conditions.

Maybe I am just ornery and kind of stubborn, but I think a healthy degree of self-reliance can do most people a world of good.
yes but if you don't have a backup plan then are you really self reliant?

I will normally take lower weight over a larger batteries. There are exceptions with things like cargo bikes. Or the less than 1% of rides where I will take two batteries. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. As @Mr. Coffee mentioned, with quality components there are forewarnings. You just need to listen to them. That said, I did once get a flat at nigh from a three inch long piece of sharpened stainless steel. I missed my train, fixed the flat and rode 25 miles home.

I do carry tools, extra battery fuse, compressor and Slime, but there is nothing can be done on the fly when the battery quits working or some other electrical failure. For that reason I like the idea of an extra battery. Triple A is also a good option even if it means getting to a street first. If you still have 20 miles to a shop or home they will get you there.

I will normally take lower weight over a larger batteries. There are exceptions with things like cargo bikes. Or the less than 1% of rides where I will take two batteries. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. As @Mr. Coffee mentioned, with quality components there are forewarnings. You just need to listen to them. That said, I did once get a flat at nigh from a three inch long piece of sharpened stainless steel. I missed my train, fixed the flat and rode 25 miles home.
I think one should have the tools to fix a flat and be able to fix one. Not to be confused with someone who finds it hard to change one but can in a pinch. Honestly if you can't it is a little questionable as to whether you should ride.

That is the biggest concern I have, I spend 95% of my riding time Off Road =
Cow/Wild horse trails/ up & down dry sandy/rocky creek beds and any other trails I can find. I carry all the tools/extra equipment to do repairs etc, I hope, and have tire liner, Flat out and the required tire repair equipment on the bike.

Seeing that the back derailleur hangs down and will be caught (has been) by brush/rocks, from previous rides, I know it's just a matter of time before I crash and burn the derailleur, given what I like to do.
So I have figured out a good possible solutions, when that derailleur goes down,
and or the motor quits etc.

I bought a new long length chain that fits my Wart Hog along with several quick links, and I'll will be using any one of the 15t-20t-26t-34t back gears with the 44t main gear, depending on the riding conditions.

I can cut the chain to fit all of these gears, (WITHOUT using the derailleur), it will direct drive emergency use only, 1 gear to get me home, but I don't like all the extra slop of the chain when using the smaller gears.
The chain will be cut/fitted to the 34T gear and then moved to the smaller toothed gear as needed, for riding conditions to get home etc.
I am afraid the sloppiness of the chain will create a bigger problems,
and don't want to be locked into a single gear for all the conditions where I ride etc.

Is there some way I can get rid of the sloppy extra chain length for all the smaller toothed gears 15/20/26t when I drop down from the 34t back gear?

Tia,
Don

I strongly suggest looking at hacks you can do to get yourself home like zip tying your cassette to your spokes. Which reminds me I probably should through some zip ties in my bag.

That is the biggest concern I have, I spend 95% of my riding time Off Road =
Cow/Wild horse trails/ up & down dry sandy/rocky creek beds and any other trails I can find. I carry all the tools/extra equipment to do repairs etc, I hope, and have tire liner, Flat out and the required tire repair equipment on the bike.

Seeing that the back derailleur hangs down and will be caught (has been) by brush/rocks, from previous rides, I know it's just a matter of time before I crash and burn the derailleur, given what I like to do.
So I have figured out a good possible solutions, when that derailleur goes down,
and or the motor quits etc.

I bought a new long length chain that fits my Wart Hog along with several quick links, and I'll will be using any one of the 15t-20t-26t-34t back gears with the 44t main gear, depending on the riding conditions.

I can cut the chain to fit all of these gears, (WITHOUT using the derailleur), it will direct drive emergency use only, 1 gear to get me home, but I don't like all the extra slop of the chain when using the smaller gears.
The chain will be cut/fitted to the 34T gear and then moved to the smaller toothed gear as needed, for riding conditions to get home etc.
I am afraid the sloppiness of the chain will create a bigger problems,
and don't want to be locked into a single gear for all the conditions where I ride etc.

Is there some way I can get rid of the sloppy extra chain length for all the smaller toothed gears 15/20/26t when I drop down from the 34t back gear?

Tia,
Don

Firstly, carry a spare hanger because they are supposed to snap before the derailiuer . When they don't , you will need to lock out the rear suspension to continue riding whith that shortened chain.

Last month I was halfway through a 60 km remote mtb track and came across a guy doing the single speed of shame . His " mates" were on ebikes but he was human powered - I couldn't belueve they hadn't offered him their derailiuers ! He made it through - surprisingly well. Walk the tough bits, ride the rest.

I think one should have the tools to fix a flat and be able to fix one. Not to be confused with someone who finds it hard to change one but can in a pinch. Honestly if you can't it is a little questionable as to whether you should ride.
I use lined Schwalbe Big Ben's. 3 years no flats. I see no reason to spend time to fix a flat when a small compressor and Slime will take me in. I don't fix tubes. Just replace if need be. The electronics is the real problem to worry about imo. There is no amount of prep work you can do to predict when it will fail. Like I said, my battery was just 6 months old when it died. Fully charged but quit, miles from home.

Ps , to the op - thanks for the reminder.

Last week I was midway through a ride and power dropped / the display flashed seemingly random lights at me. Naturally I hadn't used mission control for ages and had cleared the cache on my phone....I'll go look up the password. And really should head to the shop and plug the bike in.....

Back