What's your range ?

I have a 2016 Haibike Trekking RC which has a Yamaha PW motor and 400wH battery. I nearly completely drained the battery on a 64 mile trip, half of the distance using eco+ and riding at a leisurely 12-15mph, and the other half using all the settings and riding up to 20mph. So I could have gotten more range if I kept it on eco+ and if I did not weigh 240 lbs. The bike itself is about 52 lbs.

Now I am down to around 210 lbs. A couple of weeks ago I installed a PearTune module to remove the 20mph limiter. Using the standard power setting with the PearTune engaged, I am using about half the battery capacity on 15 mile rides at 22-26mph, with 30mph bursts thrown in.

Last edited:
I was able to go 68 miles on my 14 ah battery. I average around 12 watts/mile riding on level 1 assist averaging 15 mph.

I now have (2) 52v 17.4 ah batteries squeezed in a Topeak MTX bag. That gives me a little over 1800 watts. I'm hoping to get 100 miles on that possibly on level 2 assist.

Large Battery.jpg

To be honest, riding with such a low assist on a heavy bike isn't that enjoyable. Even with the 2 batteries I don't think its enough. I plan on getting a Burley Nomad to carry more batteries in a trailer to go farther.

Last edited:
What's the bottom right icon on your Cobi that says "91"? Is it cadence?
Great question. I don't think it's cadence. It has something to do with fitness I think. I'll have to tinker with it. Do you own a Protour as well?

You must get a lot of looks with your dogs in tow.

I like the bike a lot. Its very smooth running and quiet. Its certainly fast enough for me. I use it mostly for errands, but I'll go the "long way" to get some riding in. Haven't had a chance to do complete battery drain in one ride yet. For $1554 at my LBS it was a great buy. I added the izip throttle for $50 and a set of nylon panniers

Had my first issue couple days ago. I took it out on a local trail and while I really pushed hard on the crank it to get up a short incline the chain slipped off the front sprocket. Easy enough to put back but it would always come off on a steep hill (paved or not) when I put a lot of body-torque into it. It was fine on the flats, so I was able to ride it home. Taking it to LBS on Sat for free adjustment.

BTW, it does well on hard-packed trails and service roads. Don't let the lack of front suspension keep you away.

I must say, I am not real impressed with the COBI. Its just OK. I think I would have been happier if the bike had a small but decent LED readout and I used Google Maps on my phone for navigation (and a smaller price). Oh well, c'est la vie.

I'm getting a hitch installed sat and I'll be able to get in some more variety. I'll post some pics after that.

So far, I've been averaging anywhere from 16 miles with " Level 3 & Turbo," and I also had a 20mph headwind against us. I was also towing my two dogs (100+lbs dog & 20lbs) riding on their bike trailer, plus a few items in my rear panniers (hahaha). What's even cool, I have gotten up to 34 miles using " Level 2" while towing my dogs. Overall, the most I've gotten so far was 43 miles on "Level 1" with mostly flat surface, and I was also towing my dog and trailer (see photos).

All in all, I've been really impressed with my 2017 E3 Protour with COBI tech. Granted, I had a few issues from the beginning, but after putting it to the test with real life experiences in different situations.... so far, it has lived up to to my expectation. Of course no ebike is perfect, and I have a few things I would change, but overall, this bike is solid.

Lastly, I've owned my Protour now for a few months, and I've already put on more than 500 miles, mostly cycling with my dogs and their trailer and I'm happy to share, it's a solid ebike. This is my personal experience and yours may differ, so please share your Protour experience too! Be interesting to compare.

PS - I'll try to post a blog and share tons of photos that I've taken so far. I've gotten a lot of people loving the look. Hope you are enjoying yours and cheers!

Back