What's the market for 5k+ e-mtbs ?

VirgilCaine

That looks to be the minimum price for a 2018 full suspension with mid-drive and good components. I wonder how many folks are willing to spend that kind of money without having access to most federal trails ?

Well one of the folks is me.

Already reserved it and my LBS is currently getting it for me, have to wait till end of this month.
Im just sitting in front of my phone everyday waiting for the call, haha.

Im upgrading from a Radpowerbikes Radrhino to a Haibike Allmtn 9.0.
Its a pretty extreme upgrade, but I just want a fully with good components.
And mostly its, you get what you pay for.

And yeah, Im living in germany in NRW, pretty much the flattest area you can be in.

I literally have to search for trails in a pretty stubborn manner but Im willing to even drive to places where I can enjoy trails.
As soon as I get the bike, I´ll drive 100km into the Netherlands where there are some trailsystems.
1h drive per route, but for me its just worth.

Only thing after the bike missing will be a riding buddy :)

Well one of the folks is me.

Already reserved it and my LBS is currently getting it for me, have to wait till end of this month.
Im just sitting in front of my phone everyday waiting for the call, haha.

Im upgrading from a Radpowerbikes Radrhino to a Haibike Allmtn 9.0.
Its a pretty extreme upgrade, but I just want a fully with good components.
And mostly its, you get what you pay for.

And yeah, Im living in germany in NRW, pretty much the flattest area you can be in.

I literally have to search for trails in a pretty stubborn manner but Im willing to even drive to places where I can enjoy trails.
As soon as I get the bike, I´ll drive 100km into the Netherlands where there are some trailsystems.
1h drive per route, but for me its just worth.

Only thing after the bike missing will be a riding buddy :)

1hr drive isn't bad - you've got the Autobahn.

$5K isn't surprising for nicer emtbs. They seem to price about $1.5K above their non-motorized brethren.

Does anyone pay attention to the supposed ban on Federal lands? Can't imagine anyone would - at least if you've got a higher-end emtb w/integrated battery that looks very sleek. Cheaper bikes with slapped-on generic batteries might see more resistance since they are more obvious.

1hr drive isn't bad - you've got the Autobahn.

$5K isn't surprising for nicer emtbs. They seem to price about $1.5K above their non-motorized brethren.

Does anyone pay attention to the supposed ban on Federal lands? Can't imagine anyone would - at least if you've got a higher-end emtb w/integrated battery that looks very sleek. Cheaper bikes with slapped-on generic batteries might see more resistance since they are more obvious.
Good points..., but when 90% of the mtbers in Asheville/Brevard are vehemently opposed to e-mtbs, it does give you pause.

It might be a niche market. It would be nice if the Feds would put eMTB's in a special category and at least offer permits. Kinda like back country hiker permits they use for the National Parks.

I honestly don't get it.

Any street legal bike (and nearly all e-mtbs are street legal) are allowed on the over 60,000 miles of forest service roads. Most of those roads are very lightly used and quite a few are challenging and spooky enough to satisfy most any adrenaline junkie. According to Wikipedia, the National Park Service has approximately 12,500 miles of maintained trails, many of which would be totally inappropriate for any kind of mountain bike use, electric or not.

Please also keep in mind that relatively few trails on federal lands are open to any kind of bicycle. It isn't like e-mtbs are being singled out.

Access to Federal Trails means nothing to me. I'm not even sure there are any within several states. I don't think any bicycles at all are allowed on trails in the Shawnee National Forest. That's the closest to me. A $2,800 demo (150 miles) Full Seven Haibike I bought in November 2016 does really well for me.

From the US Forest Service; Presently, there are no designated bike trails in the Shawnee National Forest. The Forest has restrictions prohibiting mountain bikes from traveling off-road, in natural areas and in other non-motorized areas. This means mountain bikes are allowed only on roads. Generally, roads within the Shawnee National Forest consist of either dirt or gravel. In this area, state highways are narrow and have heavy truck use. Therefore, use extra caution when riding along these routes.

Having worked for helicopter services I spent a lot of time on various USFS controlled properties. I had thousands of hours riding USFS roads. Some were absolutely incredible. I can’t imagine another engaged rider being disappointed by road condition. Great vistas, plenty of challenges, and some of my best back country rides. Mud holes, washouts, and more fun than a dozen virgins.

Back