What size tire can the R1U 700 take?...

Ridin222

So we (finally!) made our decision on what bikes to buy; the Ride 1 Up 700 ST models. However, for my bike, I want a little bigger tires. I know the 700 comes with 2.4", but I would like to go 3" or 4" (semi-fat to fat tires) if at all possible so I can ride a bit rougher trails at times. For all you Ride 1 Up bike owners, is this a possible switch to achieve? I asked this question directly to R1U, but their support is super behind and may not be able to reply for a few days, according to the site notice. We are ordering by this evening.

We were super close to buying the eSpin Flows instead as they seem like a great deal and very similar bikes as the R1U, but their support told me the biggest tire I could swap for would be a 27.5x2.3". So about the same as the R1U comes standard with. I have also considered to buy the eSpin Nero just so I have a fat tire bike in addition. But that's another $1,000 vs the price for a set of tires. Still a good deal for a fat tire bike though.

I don't have an answer to your question but just wanted to say I had the same dilemma regarding choices. I was actually choosing between the R1U 700 and the Espin sport. I ordered the 700 on July 24th

I don't have an answer to your question but just wanted to say I had the same dilemma regarding choices. I was actually choosing between the R1U 700 and the Espin sport. I ordered the 700 on July 24th
Hi! Good to know, thanks. Have you received the bike yet? I would assume not with all the delays, so probably a dumb question. But at least you got the order in. What made you choose the R1U 700 vs the eSpin Sport?

No it's not due to ship until September 15th. Off hand I'm trying to remember the differences, I think it had better tires, I kind of like the way it looked better. I know there's at least one other reason but I'd have to look up the specs

No it's not due to ship until September 15th. Off hand I'm trying to remember the differences, I think it had better tires, I kind of like the way it looked better. I know there's at least one other reason but I'd have to look up the specs
No worries, just curious. We like how the R1U looks a little better; a bit thicker/sturdy looking frame, the colors, a little bigger tires, a little better components, the fact we can change the PAS % levels, etc. They just seem overall better, even if just a tad, for only a few hundred dollars more. Anyway, congrats on your purchase!

Now if I can just figure out this tire thing, I can get our order in, too. I am thinking I can only go to 2.8" with the rim being 33mm, but what do I know. I am so new to all this and relying on Google and EBR to teach me the ways. Haha!

No worries, just curious. We like how the R1U looks a little better; a bit thicker/sturdy looking frame, the colors, a little bigger tires, a little better components, the fact we can change the PAS % levels, etc. They just seem overall better, even if just a tad, for only a few hundred dollars more. Anyway, congrats on your purchase!

Now if I can just figure out this tire thing, I can get our order in, too. I am thinking I can only go to 2.8" with the rim being 33mm, but what do I know. I am so new to all this and relying on Google and EBR to teach me the ways. Haha!
I'm more in the mode of figuring out what tools to bring in case I get a flat, maybe finding a bike stand that can hold it for when I work on it and debating whether I'm going to put it together or have a bicycle mechanic come out to the house. I was dead set on putting together myself as it doesn't seem that hard but you have to have it inspected by a mechanic anyway for the warranty to be valid.

I'm more in the mode of figuring out what tools to bring in case I get a flat, maybe finding a bike stand that can hold it for when I work on it and debating whether I'm going to put it together or have a bicycle mechanic come out to the house. I was dead set on putting together myself as it doesn't seem that hard but you have to have it inspected by a mechanic anyway for the warranty to be valid.
Yea, I read the same (about the warranty). I just hope there are bike mechanics in my area who will come to the house to put it together/inspect it. And if there are, I assume their schedule may be tight as well during these crazy times. We'll see.

And yes, good point about finding tools/a kit to fix flats if (or when) they happen. I also want to find a good bag for the rear rack that will hold items like that, and then some.

R1UP gas a recommended service that'll come to the house. The closet mechanic they have for my area is a good stretch away in North Jersey, I'm across the river in Bucks County Pennsylvania. If I have a good idea when it'll be delivered I'll probably schedule an appointment but I'm not particularly patient so I might just put it together myself and schedule the inspection

Hoping you both enjoy your new Ride1up 700's. We have an Espin Sport and a Ride1up 500. Both good bikes. I am glad I got the Sport with hydraulic brakes. Just ordered an Espin Nero for my husband who wants a fat tire bike. It will not be delivered until Oct. We put both bikes together then had them inspected/ adjusted by bike mechanic with velofix. We wanted to make sure brakes and shifting were ok. Ask the bike mechanic for tips on fixing a flat. Maybe he will suggest liners or something else. Someone else on the forum from California tried to use the mobil bike service velotooler recommended by Ride1up, paid, but could not get mechanic to respond to make an appointment. I think velotooler is sort of a referral service that matches owners with mechanics. Check out what else is available in your area. We had lots of choices and my mechanic came the day after I scheduled him. For the back tire, I did purchase a special tube from Huffy (a German company also makes one) that separates and then joins once installed.

Last edited:
R1UP gas a recommended service that'll come to the house. The closet mechanic they have for my area is a good stretch away in North Jersey, I'm across the river in Bucks County Pennsylvania. If I have a good idea when it'll be delivered I'll probably schedule an appointment but I'm not particularly patient so I might just put it together myself and schedule the inspection
Is that service listed on their site? I haven't come across it, but will look again. I'd like to see how close they are to me. Also, for warranty, do they not have to put the bike together, only just inspect it?

Hopy you both enjoy your new Ride1up 700's. We have an Espin Sport and a Ride1up 500. Both good bikes. I am glad I got the Sport with hydraulic brakes. Just ordered an Espin Nero for my husband who wants a fat tire bike. It will not be delivered until Oct. We put both bikes together then had them inspected/ adjusted by bike mechanic with velofix. We wanted to make sure brakes and shifting were ok. Ask the bike mechanic for tips on fixing a flat. Maybe he will suggest liners or something else. For the back tire I did purchase a special tube from Huffy (a German company also makes one) that separates and then joins once installed.
Hi! Thank you. I was going to do the same; purchase one of each (eSpin Flow for my GF and the R1U 700 for me). But she got hooked on the R1U 700, too, so here we are. Haha! I am still really considering also buying the eSpin Nero as it would be nice to have a fat tire bike as well. A fat tire bike is what I was originally after actually, but after much reviewing and knowing I won't be on crazy trails all too often, I changed my mind a bit. However, if I can put fat(ish) tires on the 700 when needed, I would love to have that option. We'll see. Otherwise, an eSpin Nero may be in our near future, too. =)

Is that service listed on their site? I haven't come across it, but will look again. I'd like to see how close they are to me. Also, for warranty, do they not have to put the bike together, only just inspect it?
I believe when you order you get those details but you could probably find them in the website somewhere. Yes you only have to have an inspected by them I think the inspection from the service they recommend is $50 and it's $90 if you have them put it together. They recommend Velotooler.

Last edited:
I believe when you order you get those details but you could probably find them in the website somewhere. Yes you only have to have an inspected by then I think the inspection from the service they recommend is $50 and it's $90 if you have them put it together. They recommend Velotooler.
Good to know, thank you! =)

I bought a 15L All Nice bag on Amazon to hook on my rear rack. Fits well and sturdy. I believe they have larger sizes as well.

I heard back from Ride 1 Up (that was fast!). I was told: "Putting larger tires than what comes stock would be constrained by the brake caliper mount clearance and fork width." Sooo I take that as a no, I can't put anything bigger than the 2.4? Sorry, I'm just not bike savvy. Any help on this would be appreciated?

Last edited:
I heard back from Ride 1 Up (that was fast!). I was told: "Putting larger tires than what comes stock would be constrained by the brake caliper mount clearance and fork width." Sooo I take that as a no, I can't put anything bigger than the 2.4? Sorry, I'm just not bike saavy. Any help on this would be appreciated?
I don't own the bikes in question. There are forks designed for plus size tires, most bikes designed for plus tires come with them. You likely can go a little bigger on tires, up to maybe 2.6, 2.7, but doubtful you can get to 3". Its not only the width you need to be concerned with, it's also the height, which needs to clear the arch on the fork. Some tires of the same size can actually differ in height. To answer you need to know the fork model/specs and the exact tire you want to mount. It's not a simple yes/no answer.

Unless you ride a lot of loose sand or fresh snow, the extra wide tires won't help you ride trails.

I don't own the bikes in question. There are forks designed for plus size tires, most bikes designed for plus tires come with them. You likely can go a little bigger on tires, up to maybe 2.6, 2.7, but doubtful you can get to 3". Its not only the width you need to be concerned with, it's also the height, which needs to clear the arch on the fork. Some tires of the same size can actually differ in height. To answer you need to know the fork model/specs and the exact tire you want to mount. It's not a simple yes/no answer.

Unless you ride a lot of loose sand or fresh snow, the extra wide tires won't help you ride trails.

Thanks much, appreciate the knowledge. So I 'may' be able to go a little bigger, but not really enough to bother imo. I could, however, buy some tires (same size) with knobs (mtn bike like style) if I feel needed. But it seems more and more that buying an actual fat tire bike (i.e. espin Nero) may be my best bet overall (in addition to my R1U 700, I mean).

Last edited:
Thanks much, appreciate the knowledge. So I 'may' be able to go a little bigger, but not really enough to bother imo. I could, however, buy some tires (same size) with knobs (mtn bike like style) if I feel needed. But it seems more and more that buying an actual fat tire bike (i.e. espin Nero) may be my best bet overall (in addition to my R1U 700, I mean).
I haven't read all your posts, but enough to come away with an opinion. Emphasis on opinion. I think you've learned a lot about ebikes. I also think you really want a fatbike. You should buy what you really want, regardless of anything else. It's a shame you can't test ride bikes you like. One last suggestion, find a bike dealer that has bikes and will let you ride around their parking lot. Any bike shop, does not have to be an ebike shop. Ride a fatbike, any fatbike. See what you think. I did that with an ebike once. I really thought I liked the style, knew I'd like the bike but couldn't test one. I found a regular bike of similar size and style. It was actually a better bike with better bicycle components. I hated it! I was cured of wanting that ebike.

I haven't read all your posts, but enough to come away with an opinion. Emphasis on opinion. I think you've learned a lot about ebikes. I also think you really want a fatbike. You should buy what you really want, regardless of anything else. It's a shame you can't test ride bikes you like. One last suggestion, find a bike dealer that has bikes and will let you ride around their parking lot. Any bike shop, does not have to be an ebike shop. Ride a fatbike, any fatbike. See what you think. I did that with an ebike once. I really thought I liked the style, knew I'd like the bike but couldn't test one. I found a regular bike of similar size and style. It was actually a better bike with better bicycle components. I hated it! I was cured of wanting that ebike.
Thanks. I really do like and am going to buy the R1U 700. My partner gets home around 4pm and we are ordering then. I just wish changing to a larger tire was an easy process, but it's all good. I won't be riding on sand or snow to really make it a deal breaker, ya know? I just like the look, stability and 'all in one' terrain ability the fat tire bikes offer. But like I said, we can always buy an espin Nero or a Lectric fat bike to add to our new collection if we really find it's wanted later on. Those bikes are only $900-$1100, which isn't too bad. I appreciate your opinions though, for sure. EBR is a great source and has been very helpful. =)

Thanks. I really do like and am going to buy the R1U 700. My partner gets home around 4pm and we are ordering then. I just wish changing to a larger tire was an easy process, but it's all good. I won't be riding on sand or snow to really make it a deal breaker, ya know? I just like the look, stability and 'all in one' terrain ability the fat tire bikes offer. But like I said, we can always buy an espin Nero or a Lectric fat bike to add to our new collection if we really find it's wanted later on. Those bikes are only $900-$1100, which isn't too bad. I appreciate your opinions though, for sure. EBR is a great source and has been very helpful. =)
Good news! My original shipping date was Sept. 15th but just got an email from R1UP telling me my bike will ship August 17th to the 21st.

Back