What size tire can the R1U 700 take?...

Good news! My original shipping date was Sept. 15th but just got an email from R1UP telling me my bike will ship August 17th to the 21st.
Welp, I did it! I just ordered 2 700's, both the ST models (we are 5'2" and 5'4"). I wish I could have got the XR version as it's more me/my style, but safety and comfort first. We got 1 in gunmetal gray and 1 in steel blue, as they call it. I'm excited! The email receipt says one will ship September 15th and one September 26th. I looked up the mobile mechanic you told me and we do have one in our area. His schedule is pretty open in August, so hopefully it stays that way going in to September. I will schedule that the closer it gets to delivery time. Now it's time to start accessory shopping. Lol!

Yeah I'm going to start looking for a helmet and probably a bike stand. I get it looks count but at the end of the day you got to get the one that'll fit best. I like the XR better myself but I'm 6 ft 2 in tall so it was a pretty easy call. Mine is in gunmetal gray as well.

@Ridin222

I apologize if you posted this somewhere else (GenX will correct me), but what made you choose the R1U 700?
Hi! No worries.

I took a couple months to research/review and looked at everything from Bolton, Juiced, Rad, Espin, Aventon, Biktrix, Sondors, R1U and even a few Haibikes and a Yamaha that I was told about on the forums. I really wanted (still do) a fat tire bike. BUT realizing it wasn't a necessity and more for the look/style/fun of it, I decided to take a step back and focus more on commuter style bikes that could still handle trails and hills well.

Additionally, my partner also wanted an ebike, so I showed her some and explained all I've learned and such. She really liked the Aventon, R1U, Espin and Biktrix. From those, I liked the R1U and Biktrix. So we compared them all; from specs to price to build to useage and to support and finally felt R1U was the way to go for our first ebikes. We almost went a little different route and got 1 R1U and 1 Espin just to give both a shot, or even 1 Biktrix, but figured to have 2 of the same bike also had it's pluses; from learning how to work on them the same way to sharing the battery if ever needed.

We chose the 700 over the 500 due to they are a little better for not much more $ and they have the better design/integrated battery. As for the LMT'd, we didn't need all that it has to offer (though it is a nice bike for the price). Edit: as GenXrider reminded me, being able to change the PAS % level on the 700 was a huge plus for me. I got so excited about finally purchasing bikes, that I forgot even one of the biggest reasons why I chose R1U. Haha!

The only things that bum me out is I got the ST model vs the XR model (I am 5'4" with a 28" inseam, so not much choice) and the fact that I can't put any bigger tires on it if I wanted. I really wanted more of the mtn bike style, but just couldn't find a good match with all the frames and min seat heights out there being just a tad too big for me. Blah. Maybe one day. For now, I'm excited just to have a bike to ride, and an ebike at that (I've never even been on an ebike).

As for a fat tire bike, I see the Espin Nero is only $1100 and the smaller, folding Lectric XP is only $900. So if that is something I find I still want, whether sooner or later, I feel adding one to our collection won't be 'too' costly. =)

Last edited:
We chose the 700 over the 500 due to they are a little better for not much more $ and they have the better design/integrated battery. As for the LMT'd, we didn't need all that it has to offer (though it is a nice bike for the price).
You seemed to perk up with some enthusiasm on some of the Ride1Up bikes when I told you that the PAS level power percentages could be adjusted for individual assist levels.

I commented about the tire sizes on the 700 and LMT'D in another thread. The other thing you need to be concerned about is clearance of the tire, not just the rim. There are complaints about the fenders rubbing sometimes, even with the included tires. Wait until you receive the bike, and you can see how much clearance there is. I've yet to see a post from anyone that changed to wider tires on a 700. They are already wider tires than come with the Core-5 and 500.

You seemed to perk up with some enthusiasm on some of the Ride1Up bikes when I told you that the PAS level power percentages could be adjusted for individual assist levels.

I commented about the tire sizes on the 700 and LMT'D in another thread. The other thing you need to be concerned about is clearance of the tire, not just the rim. There are complaints about the fenders rubbing sometimes, even with the included tires. Wait until you receive the bike, and you can see how much clearance there is. I've yet to see a post from anyone that changed to wider tires on a 700. They are already wider tires than come with the Core-5 and 500.
Yes, you are correct. Being able to adjust the PAS level % was a huge factor for me. Thank you again! Why I didn't mention that in my reply above, I dunno. I am just excited for everything I guess. Haha! I did edit my comment above to mention the PAS level % though.

Btw- I found out the PAS level % can also be adjusted on the Biktrix bikes. I was suuuuper close to getting the Stunner X (only bike they have I or my GF would fit on). But they are $600 more each (not terrible, but that $1200 can be used toward accessories and/or a small cheaper fat bike), nor was I crazy about the cruiser style. So R1U won. Though Biktrix does make good bikes and has great support (Roshan was personally assisting me). Maybe in a couple years I'll revisit them.

Now we are looking in to what accessories will be needed for the 700's (e.g. helmets, flat tire kits, rear rack bag, etc) and like I said, maybe to add a fat tire bike in the near future just for fun. As for the tires on the 700, I feel 2.4" is decent for a commuter style bike. It was just a wish to be able to go a little bigger if wanted, but not a necessity. So all good.

When we get a delivery date, we are going to have a bike mechanic come to the house to assemble/inspect. That way we know for sure all is 100% done right and ready to go. =)

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. Being able to adjust the PAS level % was a huge factor for me. Thank you again! Why I didn't mention that in my reply above, I dunno. I am just excited for everything I guess. Haha! I did edit my comment above to mention the PAS level % though.

Btw- I found out the PAS level % can also be adjusted on the Biktrix bikes. I was suuuuper close to getting the Stunner X (only bike they have I or my GF would fit on). But they are $600 more each (not terrible, but that $1200 can be used toward accessories and/or a small cheaper fat bike), nor was I crazy about the cruiser style. So R1U won. Though Biktrix does make good bikes and has great support (Roshan was personally assisting me). Maybe in a couple years I'll revisit them.

Now we are looking in to what accessories will be needed for the 700's (e.g. helmets, flat tire kits, rear rack bag, etc) and like I said, maybe to add a fat tire bike in the near future just for fun. As for the tires on the 700, I feel 2.4" is decent for a commuter style bike. It was just a wish to be able to go a little bigger if wanted, but not a necessity. So all good.

When we get a delivery date, we are going to have a bike mechanic come to the house to assemble/inspect. That way we know for sure all is 100% done right and ready to go. =)
I've spent a good chunk of my morning (at work- shhh) researching saddlebags, multi-tools etc....

I've spent a good chunk of my morning (at work- shhh) researching saddlebags, multi-tools etc....
Keep me posted about what you find. Any ideas are appreciated. I know for sure she and I need helmets and fix-a-flat kits. My GF already knows she'll want to change the saddle out to a wider, maybe more plush one. I want a good rack bag (not sure what size though) to carry necessities in and such. Oh, I see a lot of riders have 1 mirror on their bikes nowadays. I can see the importance in that, so that's another thing we'll look in to. The bikes come with a water bottle holder, right? I think I've seen other owners say they do, but wanted to double check (if you know). Anyway, yea, lots of shopping ahead. Haha! I thought about waiting until the bikes arrive to get what we need, but with how fast things sell out lately, if in stock at all, I sorta want to grab stuff while I can.

Keep me posted about what you find. Any ideas are appreciated. I know for sure she and I need helmets and fix-a-flat kits. My GF already knows she'll want to change the saddle out to a wider, maybe more plush one. I want a good rack bag (not sure what size though) to carry necessities in and such. Oh, I see a lot of riders have 1 mirror on their bikes nowadays. I can see the importance in that, so that's another thing we'll look in to. The bikes come with a water bottle holder, right? I think I've seen other owners say they do, but wanted to double check (if you know). Anyway, yea, lots of shopping ahead. Haha! I thought about waiting until the bikes arrive to get what we need, but with how fast things sell out lately, if in stock at all, I sorta want to grab stuff while I can.
I think it comes with the screws for the water bottle holder but I'm not sure if it comes with the holder

I think it comes with the screws for the water bottle holder but I'm not sure if it comes with the holder
Ah, ok got it. I'm not sure where I read that at. I can always ask around. Either way, no big deal. I will add a holder to our list just in case.

Another thing we'll need, and the biggest of all, is a 2 bike rack to take these things with us when we go to LA or Tahoe or wherever else we think we can use them while on vacation. We take these trips a few times a year or more. I have a 2012 Hyundai Tucson GLS, she has a 2013 Kia Optima sedan. I assume we would use my Tucson to haul the bikes, but yea, a rack is needed. Hmmm, a lot more to think about and research.....

Another thing we'll need, and the biggest of all, is a 2 bike rack to take these things with us when we go to LA or Tahoe or wherever else we think we can use them while on vacation. We take these trips a few times a year or more. I have a 2012 Hyundai Tucson GLS, she has a 2013 Kia Optima sedan. I assume we would use my Tucson to haul the bikes, but yea, a rack is needed. Hmmm, a lot more to think about and research.....
My wife has a 2017 Honda CR-V, we have a bike rack but not a great one. That's something you don't have to get right away though

My wife has a 2017 Honda CR-V, we have a bike rack but not a great one. That's something you don't have to get right away though
Nah, not right away as we won't be traveling for a few months or so with winter coming up and covid still having us staying put for the most part. I was just more thinking out loud about all the stuff that will be needed eventually and a bike rack popped up and I thought 'oh whoa!' as they aren't cheap.

Out of curiosity, I did reach out to Hollywood Racks to ask what would work for my vehicle and received this reply:

"All of our E-Bike racks are to be mounted into a receiver hitch, 2”, Class 3. Hopefully you have a receive hitch on one of your vehicles. If so, and if your E-bikes have tires 3” wide or less, it would be the model HR1450Z-E
https://hollywoodracks.com/collecti...ectric-bike-hitch-rack?variant=19301502648389"

Nope, neither of our vehicles have a hitch, so that's another bridge we're gonna have to cross when the time comes. :rolleyes:

Bonjour, I recognize you from the FB page. If you're looking for the one thing to change and you won't regret, would be a good suspension seat post. So much smoother ride. I got a Suntour on EBay that has good reviews and the best I could find for the buck. The one I got came with a shim since the 700's seat post is 30.4mm and most seat posts available come in 27,2.

Bonjour, I recognize you from the FB page. If you're looking for the one thing to change and you won't regret, would be a good suspension seat post. So much smoother ride. I got a Suntour on EBay that has good reviews and the best I could find for the buck. The one I got came with a shim since the 700's seat post is 30.4mm and most seat posts available come in 27,2.
Well hello there! Thank you! I was thinking about a suspension seat post. I have a bad neck and a couple other health issues where all the comfort I can get on the bike will be not only wanted, but needed (required even). Question- does a suspension seat post make the seat height even higher? And are they difficult to install?

Back