What shoes do you wear...

There are but you don't need them. Firmer soles is the general idea, not as flexible sole as most gym shoes.
I have very expensive shimano spd pedals and cleats for special shoes that you have to wear with recumbents.
But for uprights I much prefer to not be clipped in. If the platforms have the little pins sticking up they hold very well.

I have very expensive shimano spd pedals and cleats.

Same as that. :)

shimano spd.JPG

Keen Yoyagers , you will be amazed. I bought another pair REI. THE BEST!. Worthless on the trail hiking ( you feel every pebble). Key features are very light, great ankle support, design across front allows extra flex when peddling, soles provides great grip on Stromer platforms for stand up riding, ,these should be great on an E- mtb, can't believe I use to ride my St2 with lowtop sketcher tennies. I highly recommend these !

Keen Yoyagers , you will be amazed. I bought another pair REI. THE BEST!. Worthless on the trail hiking ( you feel every pebble). Key features are very light, great ankle support, design across front allows extra flex when peddling, soles provides great grip on Stromer platforms for stand up riding, ,these should be great on an E- mtb, can't believe I use to ride my St2 with lowtop sketcher tennies. I highly recommend these !

Those look like hiking boots.

Initially that's why I chose them, ( hiking) but what they excelled at, was riding my St2. The confidence they provide for ankle support on that occasional foot plant to catch your balance, is excellent. Super lightweight, they feel great. Best I've tried. Also if you have a wide foot ,you will love em.

Initially that's why I chose them, ( hiking) but what they excelled at, was riding my St2. The confidence they provide for ankle support on that occasional foot plant to catch your balance, is excellent. Super lightweight, they feel great. Best I've tried. Also if you have a wide foot ,you will love em.

Won't look too good with my biking shorts on the road.... :)

Function TRUMPS fashion

THIS.

had clip-ins back in the 90's, but in the end i prefer gettin my feet off quick and not getting stitches in my chin...
so i go w/ flat pedals , remove a %-age of the shin skinning pegs and wear keens.. summer days..keen sandals,
colder, my every day walkabout keens

What's great about electric bikes is that you don't worry about human efficiency since the motor/battery is doing most of the work. I run with toe clips on my road bikes, and look pedals on my track bike. Electric bike anything goes~ I used tennis shoes.

What's great about electric bikes is that you don't worry about human efficiency since the motor/battery is doing most of the work. I run with toe clips on my road bikes, and look pedals on my track bike. Electric bike anything goes~ I used tennis shoes.

I go ECO mode only, motor adds 70% of what I put out, in...(or so claim Easy Motion) so I still do "most" of the work... though Lord knows I'd not get up the hills I do on my commute....or be able to do 25 miles and work, and do 25 miles back... still looking back from the GG Bridge to the Bay Bridge as I cross, knowing that I biked from where I am looking back...and same from Sausalito cross the bay, is too cool... I'd like to work myself into shape so I do 3 days per week. Just on 2 now.

Five Ten

The "Stealth" rubber soles are the stickiest shoe compound I've ever owned and the tread is designed to lock onto the pedal studs. I've ridden them with platform/flat pedals for about 3 years. They can add 10-15% to your power stroke. I was a little skeptical at first, but they really work.

Very well made, long lasting and very often can be purchased through Amazon below MSRP. Often last year's style are discounted as much as 40% off. Many times the only thing that changed is the color. Some are very stylish.

http://www.fiveten.com/us/bike/filter/pedal-type/flats

I'm currently sporting the Spitfire dark gray upper, with black sole.

http://www.fiveten.com/us/bike/spitfire-dark-grey-orange

Sole:
upload_2016-4-27_3-46-29.png

Good comments, my Balance shoes do tend to slide a bit.
I noticed: tennies, gym shoes, and tennis shoes. Do kids call them that?
Made me know that I am in kindered souls ;~}

I just got some Keen Targhee IIs based on this post. I went with the Targhees instead of the the Voyagers as I sometimes get caught riding home in the rain and the Targhees are waterproof.

I added reflective LineLock laces which are similar to the laces on Keen sandals.

frK5kh6.jpg

Great combination!

Last edited:
Just ordered model year 2015 Five-Ten Maltese Falcon. MSRP $130- marked down to $75 and then there's a code for another 25% off. Total was $56.25. Shipping free. Not a bad deal. The code is on their homepage.

I don't have anything bike specific but enjoy wearing Altra Lone Peak 2.0 out riding. My feet love them and they seem to grip the pedals well. They feel like slippers are are super ventilated so better for dry not cold, not wet conditions. The grips are good so long as they don't get wet. Multipurpose. Go biking, go walking. :)

I purchased a new pair of Five Ten, this time I went with Freerider. My Spitfire's are still in decent shape, but after 3+ years and thousands of miles, the shoes have lost some structure. If my feet ain't happy, my rides ain't fun!

The Freerider's are more comfortable than the Spitfire. Pretty too, if that's important. I'll trash them up soon enough, I'm sure.

504701_22.jpg

Even on an ebike, I ride SPD shoes and combo pedals. I prefer being clipped in when riding at my normal cadence of 85-90 with spurts up to 100.

Back