What pedal assist Ebike should I get?

Since you didn't mentioned what area you live, I'm assuming "where to purchase" as in, not a bike shop based on geographical but you're asking for "internet vs LBS (local bike shop)"

That really depends, I think internet bike is way better because they're CHEAP, and I can just work on my bike by myself, and I'm willing to take the risk of receiving defective bike just because I know it's an internet bike.

But many people are willing to pay extra $ for peace of mind and purchase an ebike loaclly, so it's all up to you.
I live in New York....I would be willing to buy online. Any suggestions on what websites to use? Also, I would appreciate input on what pedal assist bike to get (i.e. Batch step thru plus, etc.)

I live in New York....I would be willing to buy online. Any suggestions on what websites to use? Also, I would appreciate input on what pedal assist bike to get (i.e. Batch step thru plus, etc.)
Today nothing is junk . Have you considered a pinon geared belt driven E bike? My friend has one of the regular bikes with the same setup non Electric . It's way smoother then my Trek Dual Sport at right about the same cost. Priority I believe is the manufacturer . And it's American made https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current Not to mention you can actually get it as well as get service when needed . This is a company I have watched for the last 3 years . Very Impressed . Plus you can get intouch with them quite easily . And they are a manufacturer not just a distributor

Last edited:
How are you going to use the bike? Commuting, grocery getting, or just pleasure riding? How far are you going to ride? Are there hills? What is your budget?

How are you going to use the bike? Commuting, grocery getting, or just pleasure riding? How far are you going to ride? Are there hills? What is your budget?
Pleasure riding. Will be riding 10-20 miles with hills. Max $4000, but more comfortable around $2000-$3000.

I am not familiar with the brand, but the Batch Step-Thru Plus will work just fine for your purposes if you found it comfortable and you will get support from your local bike shop. The components on it are not high end, but they are decent and will work fine. The Bosch mid-drive motor will be reliable and mid-drive motors work well for long steep hills. You are not going to ride far, so you don't need to worry much about larger batteries or battery extenders. At 52lbs, the bike isn't too heavy for an ebike. Some run 60-70lbs.

Pleasure riding. Will be riding 10-20 miles with hills. Max $4000, but more comfortable around $2000-$3000
I am not familiar with the brand, but the Batch Step-Thru Plus will work just fine for your purposes if you found it comfortable and you will get support from your local bike shop. The components on it are not high end, but they are decent and will work fine. The Bosch mid-drive motor will be reliable and mid-drive motors work well for long steep hills. You are not going to ride far, so you don't need to worry much about larger batteries or battery extenders. At 52lbs, the bike isn't too heavy for an ebike. Some run 60-70lbs.
Do you have any other suggestions? I am willing to get my ebike online.

You don't have any special requirements like very long steep hills, off-road trail riding, or cargo capacity. Honestly, just about any ebike is going to work for you. The most important thing is going to be the fit and comfort of the bike. That is something you find out by test riding the bike and that is hard to do for online orders. People who cycle a lot already have an idea of the frame geometry and riding position that they prefer and it is easier for them to order online. Another factor is how comfortable are you working on your own bikes? Many local bike shops will not work on ebikes, particularly those brands that they don't sell and were bought online.

Pleasure riding. Will be riding 10-20 miles with hills. Max $4000, but more comfortable around $2000-$3000

Do you have any other suggestions? I am willing to get my ebike online.
I gave you a good suggestion . These are quality bikes . If you want to learn about pinion shifting which is far smoother and way less mountainous . Look at youtube Videos : Here is a wHole page on the bike https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=priority+current+e+bike Plus while it's an online purchase The service if you need it is Top notch . REEB MTB is also another bike maker using this pinion system . They don't make E-bike . The Priority E-bike is Class 3 Another company I am looking at is Harley Davidson :
Are you limited to just Women's Step design?

I have a Specialized Vado 5 . But I just got lucky and found one as it had just come into the LBS with 6 Vado SL . Specialized Como is also up your ally . If you can Find them . Same for Trek Alliant 7 . Great bike in your $$$$ Range . BUT CAN YOU FIND ONE?

Last edited:
Max $4000, but more comfortable around $2000-$3000.
At those amounts, why not just deal with your Local Bike Shop?

If you feel confident your LBS has a good operation going on and can give you value added service for a peace of mind for anything that can go wrong, that may be a good choice.

If you want to dive into internet mail order, I invite you to comb thru the forums and threads here about all the SNAFUs and problems and issues about "internet mail order" ebikes, and see if you feel totally ok in their shoes, and you are a saavy bike wrench to deal with them.

There is no best choice. There is only deep expensive regret when something doesn't work out for you.

I gave you a good suggestion . These are quality bikes . If you want to learn about pinion shifting which is far smoother and way less mountainous . Look at youtube Videos : Here is a wHole page on the bike https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=priority+current+e+bike Plus while it's an online purchase The service if you need it is Top notch . REEB MTB is also another bike maker using this pinion system . They don't make E-bike . The Priority E-bike is Class 3 Another company I am looking at is Harley Davidson :
Are you limited to just Women's Step design?

I have a Specialized Vado 5 . But I just got lucky and found one as it had just come into the LBS with 6 Vado SL . Specialized Como is also up your ally . If you can Find them . Same for Trek Alliant 7 . Great bike in your $$$$ Range . BUT CAN YOU FIND ONE?
The Gates Belt Drive is a nice feature of that bike. It will need less maintenance and last longer than a chain. The OP was looking at a Class 1 20mph bike and that is a Class 3 28mph bike. I am not that familiar with New York's ebike laws, but this says that Class 3 ebikes are only allowed in New York City and not the rest of the state? I know that NYC has a history of draconian ebike law enforcement to the point of confiscating bikes, but I believe it has loosened up a bit.

https://biketarrytown.org/new-york-state/ebikes-2020-governors-budget.php

The Gates Belt Drive is a nice feature of that bike. It will need less maintenance and last longer than a chain. The OP was looking at a Class 1 20mph bike and that is a Class 3 28mph bike. I am not that familiar with New York's ebike laws, but this says that Class 3 ebikes are only allowed in New York City and not the rest of the state? I know that NYC has a history of draconian ebike law enforcement to the point of confiscating bikes, but I believe it has loosened up a bit.

https://biketarrytown.org/new-york-state/ebikes-2020-governors-budget.php
I am definitely looking for a class 1 Ebike

That limits you some then :
Well, the OP is trying to narrow down their choices. Limiting the choices is a good thing in this case. The OP's price range covers most mid-tier ebikes, including those sold at local bike shops. The big name brands such as Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc will have Class 1 offerings under $4K and offer local dealer support. The OP hasn't said that local dealer support is important to them. Many online brands cater to either the either sub $2k market (Rad, Lectric, etc) or the fast and powerful market (Juiced, Luna, and even Watt Wagons). As @soyabean pointed out, there are sub-forums on this site for many of the different brands on the market.

Well, the OP is trying to narrow down their choices. Limiting the choices is a good thing in this case. The OP's price range covers most mid-tier ebikes, including those sold at local bike shops. The big name brands such as Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc will have Class 1 offerings under $4K and offer local dealer support. The OP hasn't said that local dealer support is important to them. Many online brands cater to either the either sub $2k market (Rad, Lectric, etc) or the fast and powerful market (Juiced, Luna, and even Watt Wagons). As @soyabean pointed out, there are sub-forums on this site for many of the different brands on the market.
I am not opposed to the sub $2000 market, and would be willing to get a class 3 Ebike...if it is legal in New York.

Last edited:
I am not opposed to the sub $2000 market, and would be willing to get a class 3 Ebike...if it is legal in New York.
Class 3 ebikes appear to only be legal in New York City and not the rest of New York. Most rural areas probably do not do much enforcement of ebike laws, but New York City has confiscated ebikes in the past. It is a difficult law to enforce as many ebikes that are not compliant claim that they are. These are mostly online brands. Class 2 ebikes have a throttle. Class 1 and Class 3 ebikes do not and some trails only allow Class 1 ebikes. Rangers on these trails know to look for a throttle, but have no way to tell the maximum speed of a bike if it is being ridden conservatively.

Class 3 ebikes appear to only be legal in New York City and not the rest of New York. Most rural areas probably do not do much enforcement of ebike laws, but New York City has confiscated ebikes in the past. It is a difficult law to enforce as many ebikes that are not compliant claim that they are. These are mostly online brands. Class 2 ebikes have a throttle. Class 1 and Class 3 ebikes do not and some trails only allow Class 1 ebikes. Rangers on these trails know to look for a throttle, but have no way to tell the maximum speed of a bike if it is being ridden conservatively.
I don't see how they can regulate a Bike that has no throttle. I have to elderly friends in their late 80's . Both with Class 3 Como bikes. They can't exert enough of their own torque to get up to 20MPH . They bought class 3's because that was what they found available in their frame sizes / I can understand throttle regulation . Peddle power?? Seems ridiculous Then Again NewYorkers deserve stupid regulations . They put nuts in charge 2 terms in a row . LOL So they deserve what they get

The Priority Current ships as a Class 1 ebike. You can change it to 28 mph in the settings, if you want.

Back