What kind of mini-pump do you guys carry?

Operator7

I'm in the process of researching them, but I am at the office and don't have the tires to see what PSI they need to be pumped to... I believe certain pumps have certain PSIs they can go to.

One other thing that trips me out is that some of these mini-pumps don't seem to have any meter on them. If there is no meter, how do they determine the PSI?

I only carry pressurized cartridges. Small compact and works very well. I use a Crank Bros adaptor
upload_2015-7-10_18-34-19.png

Question - how does anyone use a mini-pump that doesn't have an air gauge on it? Most of the mini-pumps I see do not have a meter to measure the air pressure. I don't see how people are inflating a tube without knowing what the PSI is?

Question - how does anyone use a mini-pump that doesn't have an air gauge on it? Most of the mini-pumps I see do not have a meter to measure the air pressure. I don't see how people are inflating a tube without knowing what the PSI is?
You will really dislike @86 and still kicking suggestion. Trying to get an accurate fill using cartridges is difficult. You could always carry a tire pressure gauge if you demand exactness.

Your road pump is for emergencies, not maintenance. On the road you just want to get the tire inflated to the point you can ride safely. With experience you will get very close to the PSI range. Always have a floor pump at home, much easier to use. Don't go cheap on your floor pump, cheap pump's gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Co2 inflators are nice, I have one in my commuter bag, but the RaceRocket lives on the bike so I'm never without it. You never need cartridges for a pump.

If you need something with a gauge you could go with something like this: http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/TurboMorphG You'll need more space for it though. Here's a pump/inflator: http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/hybridrocket_hp No gauge though.

Good luck!

Thanks J.R.!!!

I kinda thought that might be the answer (estimating, as this is only for quick fix), but didn't want to assume. I see that your pump is good for different kinds of inner-tube valves... so I guess my next step is to now determine which valves are preferable for an inner tube (one detail after another! :p ).

Curious, what is it about this mini-pump that you like over the ones that are 20 bucks cheaper?

Thanks J.R.!!!

I kinda thought that might be the answer (estimating, as this is only for quick fix), but didn't want to assume. I see that your pump is good for different kinds of inner-tube valves... so I guess my next step is to now determine which valves are preferable for an inner tube (one detail after another! :p ).

Curious, what is it about this mini-pump that you like over the ones that are 20 bucks cheaper?
The Race Rocket is larger in diameter than most pocket pumps, so the volume of air it moves is greater saving time and effort. These small pumps aren't fun. The other thing I like about is the flexible extension filler tube. I've tried $15 pumps, they never last for me. Trial and error... tried many and errored often!

Thanks J.R.!!!

Agree with JR.

I sometimes carry Topeak pump (Peakini). Race Rocket seems much nicer.

Anyone with a little experience can feel the correct psi with their hands. Certainly not exact, but if you need to pump up a tire on the road due to a leak or flat it is certainly ok. I have no no gussets on my bike and carry as little as possible so for me, small is the operative word. Cartridges are quick and easy and will get you home where you can then do a proper repair/replace.

I do have a Lezyne mini floor
pump with a corded cable and a screw on socket. Works very very well if you really want to carry a pump.

upload_2015-7-16_17-25-34.png

Back