What I learned today

vasubandu

Region
USA
City
Bellingham WA
My wife took our sons to Oregon for her grandmother's funeral and to visit her mother for a few days, and i stayed behind to take care of the dog and not spend time with her mother. That will give me the chance to do what everyone is telling me to do, namely get out there and try so some bikes.

Today's stop was Seattle E-Bike, which seems to be the most prominent electric bike store in Seattle. When I went in the store, I was surprised at how massive all the bikes looked. I have seen plenty while driving around, but when I looked at them as something to ride, they suddenly seemed very large. They looked so wide that the pedals seemed too far apart. The salespeople were all busy, which gave me some time to wander the store uninterrupted. I now know enough to recognize that many of the bikes were slightly older models, and at the lower end of their ranges. They have some very nice bikes, but the focus is on the under $2,000 market.

They do carry Stromer, which has been of some interest, and I was surprised at how the size and mass of the bikes increased as you moved up the line. The ST 1 looked fine, but the ST 2 felt bigger than what I would want to ride. A salesman finally came up to me, and I explained my interest in a commuter and the nature of my commute. He immediately suggested looking at their entry level bikes, and I told him my focus was higher.

SInce I was familiar with them, I asked to test the ST 1. It was a nice looking bike, but had neither front nor rear suspension.

IMG_20180607_174601_Bokeh.jpg

The the guy walked me through how to use the bike, I was surprised that it did not have a throttle. Somehow I had gotten into my head an expectation that electric bikes would have a throttle. It just seemed like an electric bike should go on its own, and I had images of just motoring up the big hills in my commute.

The controls that he showed me were disappointing.

IMG_20180607_174606_Bokeh.jpg

There is a small monochrome box on the right side that controls the amount of boost. To change it, you have to press a toggle switch on the side to cycle through the options. It would cost $50 to have a 3x5 color touch screen instead. The ST 1 has derailleurs on both wheels. I asked what the purpose of the front derailleur was, and he could not say. I don't think that there is power to the front wheel, so I really don't get why its great would matter.

Armed with this knowledge and nothing more, I took the bike outside and took off into the street. It was one of the oddest sensations I have ever had. I pedaled, and the bike surged ahead as if it had a mind of its own. It was very unsettling. I understood what was happening, but it was just an odd sensation. It took me several blocks to become comfortable with it. And then over a few more, I started to be able to anticipate the boost, and it became welcome. Over about 10 minutes, I started to get a sense for how it works and its potential. With experience, a person would develop a good sense of the bike's capabilities and would learn to use them in different situations. You could create a sudden burst when you needed it, and you could maintain a very easy steady pace on level ground. The possibilities became clear.

My ride included a moderate hill, and I was pleased to see how the bike essentially turned the hill into level ground. It would eliminate the drag of coming to a long hill, and I thought about how when I do go biking, there always seems to a hill to climb at the end, that burns me until I get off and walk. That would go away. I saw no difference shifting the front gears. Still have no idea what that is about.

I stopped to take a picture of the bike, and when I did, a guy asked if I wanted a picture of me with the bike. I told him I was just testing it, and he said, "I know, I saw the tag." We got into a discussion about the bike and electric bikes in general. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. His first comment was that it was a very stiff bike, and he explained that it had no front suspension. He said that in Seattle, you frequently have to hop up on a sidewalk, and that without a front suspension, you would pop a lot of tires. I asked him about a rear suspension, and he said that it was a matter of choice, but that he has a hardtail. He said that he rides his bike hard, and that there is dust on his seat because he never sits on it. If he had a rear suspension, it would absorb some of power from his pedaling. We talked for quite a while, and he had many insights that I thought made sense.

As an aside, I am struck by how friendly and helpful electric bikers have been. You might think it odd that I would be surprised by that, but the media tends to portray electric bikers as rude people who cut everyone off and disregard traffic rules. The laws and regulations that are being adopted seem to be based on this perception. My own experience has been just the opposite. Hard to imagine a nicer bunch of people. I am sure there are jerks too, but not greater percentage than any other group.

When I got back to the shop, I asked if they had a throttle bike I could try for a comparison. They had a few, but they were low end bikes of little interest. The guy told me (1) there are almost no mid drive bikes with a throttle, and (2) E3 28 mph bikes cannot have a throttle without being treated as something else and having equipment like blinkers, etc. Both of those statements were news to me. I have since done some more research, and there are a few mid drive bikes with a throttle, but it creates issues, and an E3 bike can have a throttle that is regulated to 20 mph. As a general rule, however, what he said seems to be true. It certainly changed some of my basic expectations and gives me even more to research.

After checking out their other bikes, I next decided to test an Easy Motion ATOM DIAMOND WAVE PRO. I liked the way it looked and it had a back rack.

IMG_20180607_180840_Bokeh.jpg

I also thought that its controls were more intuitive and friendly, but it was 8 speed, rear derailleur only.

IMG_20180607_180849_Bokeh.jpg

My experience with it was going to be different because now I had some idea what to expect, but for me this bike was immediately vastly preferable. If felt lighter and quicker to respond to my control, and the power level control made more sense. Most of it was just that "right fit" that people have talked about.

I took the same route as I did with the Stromer, and I learned a valuable lesson. I do not know if it was because the Easy Motion was an 8 speed, but when going up the hill, I did reach a point where I started to really struggle like I would in a normal bike. The comments that people have made about shifting suddenly made a lot more sense, and I realized that even with an electrical bike, you still have to be mindful of our riding. I was in 6th gear because I thought I could just cruise on up.

Overall, I now realize that electric bikes are about making biking more efficient and easier, not little motorcycles to cruise to work. The experience itself is still biking, and people who don't want to ride a bike likely will be disappointed. Electric bikes also are more complicated than I thought in that to extract the maximum benefit, you have to pay attention to what you are doing and know how to use a bike in the first place. There are so many different kinds of electric bikes because there are so many different kinds of bikers. Which bike of a specific kind you get may not matter much, but getting the wrong kind of bike would be like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet. The advertised speeds for bikes are complete BS. It would take a lot of effort for me to get either of those bikes to 20 mph, and in my current shape, I could not sustain that kind of speed for very long. In city traffic, there are lots of stops and starts. Bikes don't start like cars do, further reducing the effective speed. The perfect feature set cannot be found on a single bike because the features are found only on certain kinds of bikes, and when you pick a certain kind of bike, you lose the incompatible features.

All of this may sound very negative and disappointed, but my reaction is just the opposite. Becoming a happy electric bike commuter is going to require some significant changes in my thinking, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I am going to have to plan on a 30 minute commute, not a 15-20 minute one. In the beginning, I may not be able to go all the way up my big hills without taking a break or walking part of it. I can get there, but I am going to have to work up to it.

But I spend too much of my life sitting at my desk, and I need a more active lifestyle. I am not going to to a gym, and biking is more engaging than walking, plus it offers a broader range. So now, it is half back to the drawing board and half testing more bikes. What an adventure.

Bandu ...

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I'm sure there will be many of us following events. The bike in that you took for a test looks very much like my own.

Your experience with “launch control” still takes me by surprise sometimes. Be aware that some bikes can lag a bit, waiting for your effort, before assisting - scary when starting on a hill.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife took our sons to Oregon for her grandmother's funeral and to visit her mother for a few days, and i stayed behind to take care of the dog and not spend time with her mother. That will give me the chance to do what everyone is telling me to do, namely get out there and try so some bikes.

Today's stop was Seattle E-Bike, which seems to be the most prominent electric bike store in Seattle. When I went in the store, I was surprised at how massive all the bikes looked. I have seen plenty while driving around, but when I looked at them as something to ride, they suddenly seemed very large. They looked so wide that the pedals seemed too far apart. The salespeople were all busy, which gave me some time to wander the store uninterrupted. I now know enough to recognize that many of the bikes were slightly older models, and at the lower end of their ranges. They have some very nice bikes, but the focus is on the under $2,000 market.

They do carry Stromer, which has been of some interest, and I was surprised at how the size and mass of the bikes increased as you moved up the line. The ST 1 looked fine, but the ST 2 felt bigger than what I would want to ride. A salesman finally came up to me, and I explained my interest in a commuter and the nature of my commute. He immediately suggested looking at their entry level bikes, and I told him my focus was higher.

SInce I was familiar with them, I asked to test the ST 1. It was a nice looking bike, but had neither front nor rear suspension.

View attachment 22572

The the guy walked me through how to use the bike, I was surprised that it did not have a throttle. Somehow I had gotten into my head an expectation that electric bikes would have a throttle. It just seemed like an electric bike should go on its own, and I had images of just motoring up the big hills in my commute.

View attachment 22573

There is a small monochrome box on the right side that controls the amount of boost. To change it, you have to press a toggle switch on the side to cycle through the options. It would cost $50 to have a 3x5 color touch screen instead. The ST 1 has derailleurs on both wheels. I asked what the purpose of the front derailleur was, and he could not say. I don't think that there is power to the front wheel, so I really don't get why its great would matter.

Armed with this knowledge and nothing more, I took the bike outside and took off into the street. It was one of the oddest sensations I have ever had. I pedaled, and the bike surged ahead as if it had a mind of its own. It was very unsettling. I understood what was happening, but it was just an odd sensation. It took me several blocks to become comfortable with it. And then over a few more, I started to be able to anticipate the boost, and it became welcome. Over about 10 minutes, I started to get a sense for how it works and its potential. With experience, a person would develop a good sense of the bike's capabilities and would learn to use them in different situations. You could create a sudden burst when you needed it, and you could maintain a very easy steady pace on level ground. The possibilities became clear.

My ride included a moderate hill, and I was pleased to see how the bike essentially turned the hill into level ground. It would eliminate the drag of coming to a long hill, and I thought about how when I do go biking, there always seems to a hill to climb at the end, that burns me until I get off and walk. That would go away. I saw no difference shifting the front gears. Still have no idea what that is about.

I stopped to take a picture of the bike, and when I did, a guy asked if I wanted a picture of me with the bike. I told him I was just testing it, and he said, "I know, I saw the tag." We got into a discussion about the bike and electric bikes in general. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. His first comment was that it was a very stiff bike, and he explained that it had no front suspension. He said that in Seattle, you frequently have to hop up on a sidewalk, and that without a front suspension, you would pop a lot of tires. I asked him about a rear suspension, and he said that it was a matter of choice, but that he has a hardtail. He said that he rides his bike hard, and that there is dust on his seat because he never sits on it. If he had a rear suspension, it would absorb some of power from his pedaling. We talked for quite a while, and he had many insights that I thought made sense.

As an aside, I am struck by how friendly and helpful electric bikers have been. You might think it odd that I would be surprised by that, but the media tends to portray electric bikers as rude people who cut everyone off and disregard traffic rules. The laws and regulations that are being adopted seem to be based on this perception. My own experience has been just the opposite. Hard to imagine a nicer bunch of people. I am sure there are jerks too, but not greater percentage than any other group.

When I got back to the shop, I asked if they had a throttle bike I could try for a comparison. They had a few, but they were low end bikes of little interest. The guy told me (1) there are almost no mid drive bikes with a throttle, and (2) E3 28 mph bikes cannot have a throttle without being treated as something else and having equipment like blinkers, etc. Both of those statements were news to me. I have since done some more research, and there are a few mid drive bikes with a throttle, but it creates issues, and an E3 bike can have a throttle that is regulated to 20 mph. As a general rule, however, what he said seems to be true. It certainly changed some of my basic expectations and gives me even more to research.

After checking out their other bikes, I next decided to test an Easy Motion ATOM DIAMOND WAVE PRO. I liked the way it looked and it had a back rack.

View attachment 22574

I also thought that its controls were more intuitive and friendly, but it was 8 speed, rear derailleur only.

View attachment 22575

My experience with it was going to be different because now I had some idea what to expect, but for me this bike was immediately vastly preferable. If felt lighter and quicker to respond to my control, and the power level control made more sense. Most of it was just that "right fit" that people have talked about.

I took the same route as I did with the Stromer, and I learned a valuable lesson. I do not know if it was because the Easy Motion was an 8 speed, but when going up the hill, I did reach a point where I started to really struggle like I would in a normal bike. The comments that people have made about shifting suddenly made a lot more sense, and I realized that even with an electrical bike, you still have to be mindful of our riding. I was in 6th gear because I thought I could just cruise on up.

Overall, I now realize that electric bikes are about making biking more efficient and easier, not little motorcycles to cruise to work. The experience itself is still biking, and people who don't want to ride a bike likely will be disappointed. Electric bikes also are more complicated than I thought in that to extract the maximum benefit, you have to pay attention to what you are doing and know how to use a bike in the first place. There are so many different kinds of electric bikes because there are so many different kinds of bikers. Which bike of a specific kind you get may not matter much, but getting the wrong kind of bike would be like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet. The advertised speeds for bikes are complete BS. It would take a lot of effort for me to get either of those bikes to 20 mph, and in my current shape, I could not sustain that kind of speed for very long. In city traffic, there are lots of stops and starts. Bikes don't start like cars do, further reducing the effective speed. The perfect feature set cannot be found on a single bike because the features are found only on certain kinds of bikes, and when you pick a certain kind of bike, you lose the incompatible features.

All of this may sound very negative and disappointed, but my reaction is just the opposite. Becoming a happy electric bike commuter is going to require some significant changes in my thinking, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I am going to have to plan on a 30 minute commute, not a 15-20 minute one. In the beginning, I may not be able to go all the way up my big hills without taking a break or walking part of it. I can get there, but I am going to have to work up to it.

But I spend too much of my life sitting at my desk, and I need a more active lifestyle. I am not going to to a gym, and biking is more engaging than walking, plus it offers a broader range. So now, it is half back to the drawing board and half testing more bikes. What an adventure.
I live in the area, so maybe I can contribute my 2 bits. If you want an easier trip, you should look at bike which only uses cadence sensing. So Something like a Rad Rover, or a regular bike with a luna cycle type of kit. I have a cadence sensing bike, which can get me up Cougar Mountain with minimal pedaling effort, but it obviously slows down on the steeper stretches. In west seattle, you could get a bike without a front suspension, but I'd highly recommend adding a redshift shockstop in that case. It won't be as cushy as a front suspension or fat tires, but it'll take the painful jolt out of streets around here. That dude who told you to hop curbs is a clown. Don't do that on an ebike.

I also have a torque+cadence sensing 28mph bike. With more effort, it climbs faster than my cadence only bike. But the key is more effort. That may sound like a negative, but over time, you'll find yourself pushing a little harder, because you know you'll be rewarded even more. Sort of like when parents tell a kid they'll match whatever $ the kid saves.

It comes down to what your long term goals are. If you simply want to avoid the hassle of parking and sitting in a 5 mph misery box (that's what cars are around here), I vote cadence only. If you see yourself one day riding around mercer island, I vote torque sensing.

It comes down to what your long term goals are. If you simply want to avoid the hassle of parking and sitting in a 5 mph misery box (that's what cars are around here), I vote cadence only. If you see yourself one day riding around mercer island, I vote torque sensing.

Until today, I did not even know that cadence and torque existed, and I still am not quite sure about the difference, but will get to the bottom of that. I don't recall having seen those specs referenced often if at all. Some bikes claim to have both just like some bikes claim to have throttle and pedal assist.

My goal started out precisely as avoiding the misery box, and I imagined zipping to and from work on a self-propelled bike that was really just a motorcycle in disguise that my family would not notice and take away from me. I have since figured out that I was being delusional. Notthe first time.

Looking back, I also realize that I have always enjoyed biking, but my memories include many times when I was physically done, but we were not home yet. I remember times I got part way up a mountain and ran out of juice. The sense that I have developed is that electric bikes have the potential to extend my capabilities so that I will be less likely to have those experiences. Electric bikes won't prevent them, but they will make it easier to enjoy biking. And if I become more fit and learn how to use bikes properly, my own range and capabilities will improve, and then one thing will feed onto another. In other words, this started out about a quick painless ride to work and has transformed into something about biking.

Truth be told, I also am motivated for my sons. They both have nice Trek bikes, but do not use them. When I was their age, my stupid Schwinn bike was freedom. During the summers, we were free to wander for miles in any direction, and we did. My older son just finished driver's education, and he might be a tough nut to crack. But the younger one is 12. He can ride his bike, but he is very uncertain on it, and he claims that he cannot ride a bike. But I cannot get him to try. He would rather play on his computer. We have tons of biking opportunities around Seattle, our local government wants to turn the airport into a bike lane. So if this provided a way to get him on board, that would more than satisfy all of my wants and needs.

My long term goals are (a) to get to work; and (b) to be able to ride around Mercer Island when I am 80 if I feel like it.

Until today, I did not even know that cadence and torque existed, and I still am not quite sure about the difference, but will get to the bottom of that. I don't recall having seen those specs referenced often if at all. Some bikes claim to have both just like some bikes claim to have throttle and pedal assist.

My goal started out precisely as avoiding the misery box, and I imagined zipping to and from work on a self-propelled bike that was really just a motorcycle in disguise that my family would not notice and take away from me. I have since figured out that I was being delusional. Notthe first time.

Looking back, I also realize that I have always enjoyed biking, but my memories include many times when I was physically done, but we were not home yet. I remember times I got part way up a mountain and ran out of juice. The sense that I have developed is that electric bikes have the potential to extend my capabilities so that I will be less likely to have those experiences. Electric bikes won't prevent them, but they will make it easier to enjoy biking. And if I become more fit and learn how to use bikes properly, my own range and capabilities will improve, and then one thing will feed onto another. In other words, this started out about a quick painless ride to work and has transformed into something about biking.

Truth be told, I also am motivated for my sons. They both have nice Trek bikes, but do not use them. When I was their age, my stupid Schwinn bike was freedom. During the summers, we were free to wander for miles in any direction, and we did. My older son just finished driver's education, and he might be a tough nut to crack. But the younger one is 12. He can ride his bike, but he is very uncertain on it, and he claims that he cannot ride a bike. But I cannot get him to try. He would rather play on his computer. We have tons of biking opportunities around Seattle, our local government wants to turn the airport into a bike lane. So if this provided a way to get him on board, that would more than satisfy all of my wants and needs.

My long term goals are (a) to get to work; and (b) to be able to ride around Mercer Island when I am 80 if I feel like it.

Well done Mike..

Can I offer some free advice? If you found a bike you enjoyed riding, and it is within your budget, and is locally supported, BUY IT!

In 4 years you will be replacing it anyways with something better; there's always something better.

Owned the ST1, and it is a great bike but it is heavy and not very responsive.. There are many other bikes more enjoyable to ride.

Don't overanalyze it while the good days of summer pass. Get on it, get off your butt and start having fun.. Maybe your wife will want one.

Great, detailed analysis of your thought process working through the experience. I could relate to many elements. I'm almost 50 and overweight, too sedentary desk job and lifestyle. With the ebike I have started biking to work (weather permitting); happy to report I've lost 25 pounds (with some diet modification as well, of course) since buying mine in March. I too had the same memories of biking from my past… Miserable times on hills, or running out of steam before getting home, etc. The ebike smooth out those miseries and extends your range considerably, but in no way do you avoid working (i.e., on a pedal assist vs a throttle... yes, you CAN work out on a throttle, but you can also ride it as a moped, effort free.)
With the ebike, I look forward to every ride. Hard rain days are agonizing, not to be riding. That kind of eager anticipation never happened on my old pedal bike 20 years ago. I often find myself riding 15 to 25 miles a day on commute days, and more on some leisure days, when I might have ridden a sum total of 150 miles in my entire adult biking life before this.
I will add that to my bike has pretty much the same kind of control panel as the first bike you rode… And I've grown to be very happy with it, particularly as I don't need to look at it to change assist level… With just three buttons total on it, I can activate any of the controls or features by sense of touch alone {Edit: without taking my eyes off the road, nor my left hand off the handlebar}. Something to think about, if another control panel you liked was interaction on a touch-sensitive screen. i.e., if you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the panel to ensure you're making the change you desire… I sometimes wish it displayed more detailed energy consumption data, but it doesn't hinder my ride by not showing that.
And I will add that while I mostly ride on paved and dedicated bike paths, so far with very little in-traffic street riding, the buckled asphalt from tree roots and cracks etc. are quite noticeable on my no suspension bike. In hindsight, I probably would've put a little more emphasis on evaluating the feel of a suspension bike versus non-suspension… Somehow that factor was not high on my evaluation list when I was test driving :-( and I suspect now, about 850 miles accumulated, that I would really like some suspension! I do plan to add a suspension seat post after I've lost 20 more pounds, and fall within the seat post's stated weight capacity...

Last edited:
Mike, I went through this process back in January. I spent loads of time reading Court's reviews, watching his videos and then test riding bikes in four different bike shops in Seattle and one on Vashon Island.

I live in Bellingham, have been ebiking since February and just love it. I am 67 and peaked out at 238 lbs last year. I now ride my bike almost every day for at least averaging 17 miles. The only time I drive my car is if it is raining or I need to haul something too big for the bike. I am now down to 208 lbs. I wake up every day and look out the window to see if I can ride. The feeling of freedom, health and vitality is addicting.

Keep up the good work doing research. There are a wealth of shops to visit in Seattle. Resist the urge to buy until you do some more test riding. You will find one that feels right for you soon enough.

Make your next trip to Seattle Electric & Folding Bikes in Ballard http://electricvehiclesnw.com/ They have been around longer than anyone else in the area, are very helpful and friendly.

Next go up to G&O Cycles at 85th & Greenwood https://familycyclery.com/. They are the Riese & Muller dealer and have a good number of demo bikes to ride...nice people as well.

Seattle Electric Bike https://seattleelectricbike.net/ is nearby. They carry Cube, Bulls, Raleigh, Felt , Focus and others. My experience with the owner was quite offputting though. PM me if you want details.

After you have visited these three shops, the style of bike that will work best for you should begin to emerge.

Overall, I now realize that electric bikes are about making biking more efficient and easier, not little motorcycles to cruise to work. The experience itself is still biking, and people who don't want to ride a bike likely will be disappointed. Electric bikes also are more complicated than I thought in that to extract the maximum benefit, you have to pay attention to what you are doing and know how to use a bike in the first place. There are so many different kinds of electric bikes because there are so many different kinds of bikers.

These are wonderful insights, and the first time I have seen them written so clearly. You must be a pretty sharp attorney, vasubandu.

I will note though, that you did not test many class II bikes with throttles. Those you could ride like a little electric motorcycle, except most would be electric motorcycle riders would chafe at low speed and limited range of the batteries w/o pedaling. The guys who like to do that will install inexpensive 1000W moors and big batteries and romp around at 30+ mph.. That doesn't appeal to me, but I am not that kind of rider, even though I have two bikes that will throttle up past 30 mph.

Good luck in your quest for bike commuting. Be careful riding. No one sees motorcycles or bikes.

Great, detailed analysis of your thought process working through the experience. I could relate to many elements. I'm almost 50 and overweight, too sedentary desk job and lifestyle. With the ebike I have started biking to work (weather permitting); happy to report I've lost 25 pounds (with some diet modification as well, of course) since buying mine in March. I too had the same memories of biking from my past… Miserable times on hills, or running out of steam before getting home, etc. The ebike smooth out those miseries and extends your range considerably, but in no way do you avoid working (i.e., on a pedal assist vs a throttle... yes, you CAN work out on a throttle, but you can also ride it as a moped, effort free.)
With the ebike, I look forward to every ride. Hard rain days are agonizing, not to be riding. That kind of eager anticipation never happened on my old pedal bike 20 years ago. I often find myself riding 15 to 25 miles a day on commute days, and more on some leisure days, when I might have ridden a sum total of 150 miles in my entire adult biking life before this.
I will add that to my bike has pretty much the same kind of control panel as the first bike you rode… And I've grown to be very happy with it, particularly as I don't need to look at it to change assist level… With just three buttons total on it, I can activate any of the controls or features by sense of touch alone. Something to think about, if another control panel you liked was interaction on a touch-sensitive screen. i.e., if you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the panel to ensure you're making the change you desire… I sometimes wish it displayed more detailed energy consumption data, but it doesn't hinder my ride by not showing that.
And I will add that while I mostly ride on paved and dedicated bike paths, so far with very little in-traffic street riding, the buckled asphalt from tree roots and cracks etc. are quite noticeable on my no suspension bike. In hindsight, I probably would've put a little more emphasis on evaluating the feel of a suspension bike versus non-suspension… Somehow that factor was not high on my evaluation list when I was test driving :-( and I suspect now, about 850 miles accumulated, that I would really like some suspension! I do plan to add a suspension seat post after I've lost 20 more pounds, and fall within the seat post's stated weight capacity...

Your experience sounds a lot like what I am hoping to get out of this. It is kind of sad that the media has completely missed what seems to be the essential electric bike experience. Reading the news, you would think that everyone with an electric bike is some kind of outlaw. I have to admit that was part of the attraction, but it just ain't true.

A little 101, if I may.

Monochrome displays are pretty much standard. This isn't a car GPS, it's only there to see speed, PAS and battery charge. If it has big numbers, you're good to go.

Touch-screens are not common and I would "think" not as safe as +/- buttons that use tactile response and not require you to take eyes off the road.

Throttle is there on vast majority of hub systems over $1,500, though occasionally there are hubs without throttle, don't know why. OTH, expensive mid-drives often don't have a throttle, I "think" because they are targeting more athletic crowd interested more in pedaling than using e-power, sport equipment should be expensive etc etc - this kind of logic.

Cadence sensors do have a lag, some more and some less, depends on manufacturer.
Torque sensors don't have a notable lag but they need to see a torque, an effort, before it kicks in. There are pros and cons to either type. Good cadence system is better than a bad torque system.

Rear suspension you won't see often, other than mountain bikes. Front suspension is common on commuters around $2K, usually low-cost suspension that you may or may not like. Getting wider tires helps, 2.1-2.3", less performance than skinny roadies but you have a motor to compensate for that.

Last edited:

View attachment 22572

View attachment 22573

View attachment 22574

View attachment 22575

Vasu-If I can suggest you also try some different rear hub driven E-bikes. You will find that some of them are very zippy and take little effort getting up inclines, etc. My preferred brand is the 350 or 500 watt Dapu motor that companies like Easy Motion use with a torque sensor. They have also improved the responsiveness of the sensor on later models. I have a 2015, and the sensor is extremely sensitive and gets you up to 20mph in a matter of seconds on flats. I have to add that I am 135 lb rider, so heavier weight riders are better fit for the 500 watt hub motors.
Good luck and happy shopping. :D

Must be nice to have ebike shops with diverse models to try out. I'm definitely jealous.

Regarding curb hopping, don't do that. I've never thought of getting a flat that way, but you can definitely break a spoke under the right conditions. Assuming it's legal to ride on the sidewalk, just look far enough up ahead of you for pedestrians blocking your way and exit via a driveway apron which is a lot kinder on the bike and your body.

Enjoy your test rides!

Vasu-If I can suggest you also try some different rear hub driven E-bikes. You will find that some of them are very zippy and take little effort getting up inclines, etc. My preferred brand is the 350 or 500 watt Dapu motor that companies like Easy Motion use with a torque sensor. They have also improved the responsiveness of the sensor on later models. I have a 2015, and the sensor is extremely sensitive and gets you up to 20mph in a matter of seconds on flats. I have to add that I am 135 lb rider, so heavier weight riders are better fit for the 500 watt hub motors.
Good luck and happy shopping. :D

Thanks. I liked the Easy Motion I rode, so that might be a great comparison if i can find one.

I am going to have to plan on a 30 minute commute, not a 15-20 minute one. In the beginning, I may not be able to go all the way up my big hills without taking a break or walking part of it. I can get there, but I am going to have to work up to it.

Nowadays, more bikes (mountain bikes in particular) have gotten rid of front derailleurs and multiple chainrings in front, opting for the simpler to understand "1x" system. This is only because manufacturers are now making more and larger cogs, up to 12 in number (an inexpensive bike will have five to seven cogs). Previously, bikes had physically smaller cogs, and to get a sufficiently low enough gear for climbing hills, smaller chainrings were added to the front. The reason you did not notice a difference in shifting the front gears is only because of your lack of understanding gear ratios and how to use them effectively. For now, just know that lower gears allow you to climb hills easier, and that the lower the gear ratio a bike has, the less likely it is you would have to get off and push (and you do not want to be pushing a heavy e-bike up a hill, at least not one without a walk assist mode!)

Must be nice to have ebike shops with diverse models to try out. I'm definitely jealous.

Regarding curb hopping, don't do that. I've never thought of getting a flat that way, but you can definitely break a spoke under the right conditions. Assuming it's legal to ride on the sidewalk, just look far enough up ahead of you for pedestrians blocking your way and exit via a driveway apron which is a lot kinder on the bike and your body.

Enjoy your test rides!

My sense is that I have seen quite a number of people take electric bikes onto the sidewalk for a short distance. They usually seem to get right back off. Seattle is so full of construction now that every few blocks, you run into work, or a flagman, or have to move 2 lanes over. so I can sort of understand why a biker might think it safer or necessary to divert like that. I think I would more inclined to stop.

On a related subject, are there rear view mirrors that work?

Today, I decided to wander over to Electric and Folding Bikes Northwest, which is in the Ballard neighborhood about 11 miles away.I checked, and they close at 6, which surprised me. So I headed out at 4:30. Some confluence of circumstances apparently caused massive traffic jams throughout Seattle today, and at 5:45, Google Maps said I was still 20 miles away. I really wished I had an electric bike the whole way. I called and asked the guy if he would mind sticking around for 10 minutes so I could pop my head in and take a look around, and he said he would be happy to.

Electric and Folding Bikes was an entirely different experience than E-Bikes Seattle. They carry more brands and have newer models out. They also carry non-electric bikes and are an actual bike store. The guy I talked to was a lot more knowledgeable that the one at E-Bike. I really was not impressed with E-Bike, but I was very pleased with Electric and Folding Bikes. I did not try to test drive anything because it was late and raining, but we looked at a number of bikes and discussed my needs. He said that with my hills, he would tend to prefer a mid -drive bike. He also said that they can build a custom bike using a kit, but apparently the trade war is going to his those kits hard. I asked him out if a carbon fiber frame could be used, and he said it could, but he would not advise it because when carbon fiber fails, it does do catastrophically. I actually looked that up, and it is amazing.

They had a Specialized Turbo Como and Turbo Vado, which both were impressive and a number from Easy Motion. They also carry Orbea, which is a Spanish brand. Their Keram bike is nice, but their Wild FS mountain bike pretty much steals the show

Orbea18-WILDFS-40-29S-2T.jpg

Looks like it was well received. It sells for $4,700, but bikebling.com has it on sale for $3,760. The frame looks like carbon fiber, but is alloy, and is has a Shimano Motor DU-E8000 motor and a Shimano Steps E8010 500Wh battery

An article came out in ebike-mtb.com four days ago called "The best eMTB motor 2018 – 6 powerhouses go head to head." The Shimano DU-E8000 was one those included. It did not rank them in the end, just compared. But its discussion of the DU-E8000 was very complimentary

"The compact Shimano motor gives developers and engineers the most freedom when designing frame geometries, which explains its popularity with bike designers and engineers. On top of that, it’s a whole kg lighter than the big Bosch Performance CX, which also requires considerably more room for installation and thus limits both the geometry and the positioning of the bearing points. "

"When it comes to displays, bike manufacturers have the choice. Almost every motor supplier offers a number of options and different sizes. For their Brose motor, Specialized dispense with a display altogether and rely on a minimalist charge-indicator placed on the downtube. You also have the option of sending all of the most important data via Bluetooth directly to an external device such a Garmin or a smartphone. With their high-resolution display mounted behind the handlebars, Shimano currently offers the best compromise between integration, legibility, and protection. Shimano also offers a very intuitive remote system which derives from a Di2 shifter and allows you to switch between support levels. "

"Which motor is the best?
If we were exclusively looking for power, the TQ 120S would be the undisputed winner. However its sheer power is difficult to modulate and eats through a lot of energy in the higher support levels – plus not many manufacturers are using it at the moment. The Yamaha PW-X churns out decent amounts of power at low cadence, but eventually runs out of steam when riding at high cadence. Its turbulent nature in standing starts is not to everyone’s liking either.
The Panasonic is a very reliable motor, but its performance loss at a high cadence is irritating at best and the display integration still needs more sorting.
The Bosch Performance CX is currently the most common motor on the market and has repeatedly proven its capability over the years. Thanks to its updated software and the progressive eMTB mode, it is now even better equipped for all off-road scenarios. Unfortunately, its large dimensions and the noticeable drag above the 25-km/h limit is still a major drawback and represents a serious challenge for ebike designers.

Shimano’s STEPS E8000 motor offers the fewest compromises and suits a wider range of applications. Its intuitive operation system and well-balanced power delivery (especially in Trail mode) are truly pleasant – plus the compact design and light weight are the ideal prerequisites for manufacturers to design the perfect eMTB.

The brand-new Brose Drive S motor offers the most natural and controllable ride. If its predecessor was lacking power, the updated version of the Brose motor stands right behind the TQ motor. On top of this, it runs very quietly, can be finely modulated even in the higher support levels, and presents virtually no resistance at speeds above 25 km/h.

However, the motor is only half of the story. Factors such as geometry, suspension, and spec of a bike are the keys to a comfortable, safe, and pleasant ride. When deciding on a bike you should consider all of these decisive factors carefully."

Overall a surprising and somewhat compelling bike. They did not have one these in stock, but I will check their plans. I will try to head back tomorrow to test a few.

If you sensed a rabbit hole developing, you were right. That article refers to a TQ 120S motor that is described as far more powerful than anything else. TQ used to be Cleanmobile but changed its name. The TQ 120S appears to be a radical development. It is very small and extremely powerful.

I only found one bike for sale with the TQ 120S http://www.togoparts.com/marketplac...1-spitzing-race-850-watt-e-bike-carbon-colour

Insane

Back