What equipment for a Tero 5?

Edit - Unless they're showing Vado on the Tero product page?

View attachment 111569

Looking more closely, it seem Specialized might well be showing the Vado in the video on the Tero page.

I see no Tero in the red color on the US product page, but the pictured bike is a match for the Vado?

Kind of a miss on the marketing department if so, 'cuz it'd lead me to think I could add a kickstand.

... and the plot thickens?

Per this review, there are indeed kickstand bolt holes. Just visible in these pictures, the second showing the plate the screws go into - presumably it is replaced with the kickstand mount and the screws thread into that.

7hyzs3uQmbCebWrCERyNvm.jpg

72yAShtBhGRaKtRJavFCCV.jpg

Redundantly, here's a shot of the area in question on my bike. In the pic just above it looks like they're using the holes the brake's mounted on. (Should have posted this earlier. I'm never an early adopter and just assumed the existence of a Tero 5 user base when there isn't one.)
John from CA's suggestion looks like it might have the right spacing, 40 mm, but you'd need bolts long enough to allow the brake to be attached.

Gah, embarrassing: I assumed that the existing bolts are related to the brake. They're not. They are only holding on a thin plate that appears to be a placeholder for the kickstand. I guess it beats giving you the bolts in a bag. Apologies!

Attachments

• tero rear brake.jpg
    tero rear brake.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Here's a shot of the area in question on my bike. In the pic just above it looks like they're using the holes the brake's mounted on. (Should have posted this earlier. I'm never an early adopter and just assumed the existence of a Tero 5 user base when there isn't one.)
Brake's mounted to the braze-ons at the top.

If you look at the inside I'd wager the two lower bolts merely hold a place-holder plate which would be replaced by the top of the kickstand, which mounts to the inboard side of the stay

I have lucked out with both CHATTING and using their CONTACT page and gotten replies. In one case, it was actually trying to replace those rubber plugs shown above since, as I write, one popped out. We went back and forth with a few emails as he did not know what plugs I was talking about. I sent along pictures. Hence the pictures that I posted along with the removed plug in profile. He found the parts and sent me spares.

I also got the part number from them for the Creo Remote Power Buttons. So they may be able to give you the Kickstand part number for the Tero if one exists.

And when filling out their form, I did not include a serial number or whatever detail they wanted.

I have had to ask Specialized twice for replacement plugs for my Vado SL 5.0. The plugs seemed secure, but worked their way out while I was riding. The support people were very accommodating, but said they hadn't heard about users losing plugs before. I'm attaching photos of my Vado and the replacement parts. The kickstand I referred to earlier mounts inside the frame rail, secured by screws that go through the frame holes and into threaded holes on the kickstand. The kickstand comes with screws. For bikes without these 40mm holes, this kickstand won't work.

Attachments

• vado_plugs.jpg
    vado_plugs.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 154
  • kickstand-holes.jpg
    kickstand-holes.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 159
I have had to ask Specialized twice for replacement plugs for my Vado SL 5.0. The plugs seemed secure, but worked their way out while I was riding. The support people were very accommodating, but said they hadn't heard about users losing plugs before. I'm attaching photos of my Vado and the replacement parts. The kickstand I referred to earlier mounts inside the frame rail, secured by screws that go through the frame holes and into threaded holes on the kickstand. The kickstand comes with screws. For bikes without these 40mm holes, this kickstand won't work.
Well, they probably don't track calls for ten cent rubber plugs. Probably some don't bother. But as you see, you are not the only one to lose one of those plugs. I think my bike shoe hits them on occasion and there goes the plug.

It's about 12.5 inches.
The T5 comes with a drop seat, which definitely helps with a standing dismount.
Here's the Topeak Explorer (disc) on my Trek DS.

Distance from mounting point to rack base is 14.25", and there's just over an inch clearance between the rack and the 700x38c tire.

I don't find the trunk bag interferes with mounting/dismounting. When stopped I tilt the bike over towards me.

IMG_9741.jpeg

(note - the Topeak struts were ugly so I replaced them with Trek Bontrager Backrack Struts and Strut Nuts)

IMG_9740.jpeg

Have you considered a clamp-on kick stand like this.
6102D6A1-0859-499A-8EDC-0E70009DA4A2.jpeg

I’ve used these a couple of times when the bike doesn’t have one fitted.

Just got John from CA's kickstand suggestion. Fits perfectly. No bolts included, but the threads on the kickstand fit the bolts that came with the Tero. Perhaps I shouldn't be amazed, but I am.
Hi Will,

Glad to hear the kickstand works for you. Mine came with two bolts, each with a lock washer. On the other hand, my Vado SL 5.0 didn't come with any bolts, just those rubber plugs. Go figure.

John

Thanks for the attention to the rear rack question.

What about a kickstand? The frustrated LBS has had them "on order for months." Here's Specialized's version, looks pretty generic. There are lots o' choices, I'd just like some vetting.
I have that kickstand on my Tero 5.0 and it works fine. LBS ahead it in stock about 3 weeks ago and installed it for me in about 2 minutes. The only thing to be careful about is that the “foot” is pretty narrow so it could sink in soft grass or dirt. just need to place something wider between the foot and the ground under those conditions.

Thanks, that's a lot of empty space. From the photo it looks like that's the Explorer 29er (disc) which would be taller than the Explorer (disc) or the (adjustable) Uni Explorer (disc) models. See https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/91-Racks for the various options.

If you can get me the measurement from the rack mounting hole near the axle to the top of the tire, I'll check against my Explorer (disc). I have nothing like that amount of empty space on my 700x38c hybrid and my seat sits higher. It'll be a couple days though until I return to where my hybrid is right now.

If you're near an REI it might be worth ordering/buying one of the racks from them so you can truly hold it up against your bike and see how it seems to fit.

(I don't do the rolling dismount stuff these days; I'll just stop, tilt the bike, and swing my leg over.)

Edit - also you might consider a rear rack seat post collar rather than the pictured spot on the seat stays if there's a way to raise the bottom of the dropper post enough or mount to the actual seat tube.
Do you know what size clamp is needed for the Tero?

@giantkn10: I would like to thank you for your expenses and effort you took to derestrict your Tero! If I would like to buy a new Specialized e-bike in the future, you have shown that was possible!

Back