Rack for Turbo Tero

Turtlew

Region
USA
City
Minneapolis
Just purchased a Turbo Tero 5.0 (which is awesome by the way) and think the shop is steering me in the wrong direction…and I can’t find any other info.
I want a rear rack that I can carry some Ortieb panniers on. The manager at the shop told me that due to the geometry (seems pretty standard to me) the only option was the Specialized “equipment kit” which also has welded on fenders and lights (none of which I need and its 300 bucks).
Anyone know if there are any other rear racks that would work?
Thanks for any input.

I cannot tell you precisely what you could use. However, as you are in the United States, please check the website of Old Man Mountain. They make racks for mountain bikes in all possible sizes and for many geometries. I was interested in OMM for my e-MTB but unfortunately those products were unavailable in Europe!

Another option is Topeak TetraRack M2. Not that good as OMM but it worked for me well. TetraRack fits most of MTBs.

I cannot tell you precisely what you could use. However, as you are in the United States, please check the website of Old Man Mountain. They make racks for mountain bikes in all possible sizes and for many geometries. I was interested in OMM for my e-MTB but unfortunately those products were unavailable in Europe!

Another option is Topeak TetraRack M2. Not that good as OMM but it worked for me well. TetraRack fits most of MTBs.
Thank you! I have never heard of OMM, looks like a great option.

Check these rhino bags. I love them for my Vado 5 EQ. Rhinowalk Bike Bag Bike Pannier Bag Set, for Bicycle Cargo Rack Saddle Bag Shoulder Bag Laptop Pannier Rack Bicycle Bag Professional Cycling Accessories 3 in 1-Black https://a.co/d/2gfhiEM

Check these rhino bags. I love them for my Vado 5 EQ. Rhinowalk Bike Bag Bike Pannier Bag Set, for Bicycle Cargo Rack Saddle Bag Shoulder Bag Laptop Pannier Rack Bicycle Bag Professional Cycling Accessories 3 in 1-Black https://a.co/d/2gfhiEM
I already have a set of the Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus, thanks for the recommendation though.

Just purchased a Turbo Tero 5.0 (which is awesome by the way) and think the shop is steering me in the wrong direction…and I can’t find any other info.
I want a rear rack that I can carry some Ortieb panniers on. The manager at the shop told me that due to the geometry (seems pretty standard to me) the only option was the Specialized “equipment kit” which also has welded on fenders and lights (none of which I need and its 300 bucks).
Anyone know if there are any other rear racks that would work?
Thanks for any input.

Check out the Topeak Explorer racks. They should fit just fine. Don't know whether they work with Ortleib panniers but I'd think they should.
Note you'd need a mounting point for the rack stays - there are seat collars with rack stay mounting points you could use.

I also call BS on the shop manager. Two reasons:

#1 - One of photos of the rack on Spec's website shows the mounting screw between rear part of the rack and rear fender as well as the plastic spacer between the rack & fender at it's front mounting point - which a screw goes through.
#2 - Cable routing for the tail light (which is held with two screws) really kinda requires separating the rack from the fender. Speaking from experience of taking off my Vado rack and fender so as to shorten the rear fender.

That said, the rack from Specialized needs the fender both as a stay but also to handle the tail light wire routing.

Last edited:
I know this post is a bit late, but I use Axiom DLX Streamliner Disc rack with Ortlieb gravel bags. I love this rack because it sits back out of the way, it fits on every bike I've owned over the past 3 years, and it now costs less than $60 on Amazon. I also use an Axiom seat post collar with a rack attachment.
20231006_163240_copy_1000x563.jpg
20231006_163210_copy_563x1000.jpg
20231006_163323_copy_1000x563.jpg

What is the weight limit for that rack?
PRODUCT INFO
Compatibility: 26”, 27”, 27.5", 28", 700c
Stay length: 395mm / 15.6”
Platform size: 355x100mm / 14”x4”
Weight: 710 g / 1.56 lbs (including hardware)
Capacity: 50 kg / 110 lbs
Part Number: 171271 - Black

It comes with a center mount bracket (mount to fender eyelet) as well, but that's not as sturdy as the two arms connected to the seatpost.

I put this rack on ebikes, mountain bikes, gravel bikes. It fits everything with plenty of clearance for fenders, etc.
Screenshot_20231008_060438_Chrome.jpg

I use Ortleib Gravel bags on a Tero 5.0 with a Salsa Alternator rack fitted to the back and a Tero X 6.0 with the stock fenders and panier rails that support the fenders. The Ortleib Gravel Bags are no nonsense, lightweight, and water proof.

Attachments

• IMG_8481.jpeg
    IMG_8481.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8478.jpeg
    IMG_8478.jpeg
    655 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_8479.jpeg
    IMG_8479.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 132
Back