What equipment for a Tero 5?

Did my bike come set up wrong with chain length? It currently has 118 links with 36t front and 42t rear. Every calculator I use says I should have 114 links. Going to 42t front I should need 117 links.
First of all, the number of links including the master one shall be an even number. Secondly, your e-bike manufacturer might have just used a stock chain and they wouldn't add extra work to fine tune the chain length. If you need 117 links, re-use the 118 link chain if it has not gotten stretched yet.

Fun fact: My original Vado (48-46T) came with a 132-link chain, decidedly too long!

First of all, the number of links including the master one shall be an even number. Secondly, your e-bike manufacturer might have just used a stock chain and they wouldn't add extra work to fine tune the chain length. If you need 117 links, re-use the 118 link chain if it has not gotten stretched yet.

Fun fact: My original Vado (48-46T) came with a 132-link chain, decidedly too long!
Thank you for this information! Changing chain rings and chain lengths is new to me. I have a 42t ring being delivered Friday.

While I'm asking dumb questions... is the chain guide on the Tero adjustable to fit a larger chain ring? I'd imagine it is adjustable, but I don't have the bike right in front of me.

Thank you for this information! Changing chain rings and chain lengths is new to me. I have a 42t ring being delivered Friday.

While I'm asking dumb questions... is the chain guide on the Tero adjustable to fit a larger chain ring? I'd imagine it is adjustable, but I don't have the bike right in front of me.
Oh, no! Now you have asked a difficult question! Probably not.

If you trust me (and have engaged the derailleur clutch after your work is done), you could safely remove the chain guide. The chain guide is meant to protect the chain during really wild rides including jumps. In more normal operation, with the Praxis Wave or a Narrow-Wide chainring teeth properly matched to the chain links, the chain won't drop. I have ridden for many thousand of kilometres without even the chainguard on my big Vado, and I stupidly was riding rough terrain many times!

Oh, no! Now you have asked a difficult question! Probably not.

If you trust me (and have engaged the derailleur clutch after your work is done), you could safely remove the chain guide. The chain guide is meant to protect the chain during really wild rides including jumps. In more normal operation, with the Praxis Wave or a Narrow-Wide chainring teeth properly matched to the chain links, the chain won't drop. I have ridden many thousand of kilometres without even the chainguard on my big Vado, and I stupidly was riding rough terrain many times!
This is the first chain guide I've had. I don't have a problem with going without it.

This is the first chain guide I've had. I don't have a problem with going without it.
Well, on a funnier note:
The Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (2020) has a chain-guide good up to a 38T chainring. Neither I nor my brother (who now owns the e-bike) ever felt the need of going with a bigger chainring. Both of us have learned spinning :)

Did my bike come set up wrong with chain length? It currently has 118 links with 36t front and 42t rear. Every calculator I use says I should have 114 links. Going to 42t front I should need 117 links.
My Tero 5.0 also came with 118 links.

Have you thought also about changing tires? Personally I like the Ground Controls - even on pavement they are noisy but ok for me. But the thought of doing a daily commute like yours @ Peartune speeds would have me thinking of swapping. 700c x 32 or 38 should still fit? But the smaller tire diameter would prob undo some of what you're looking for in swapping to the 42 t. A 32/38 mm tire would be roughly the same diameter as the Vado's 650 B 2.3 in tires - but the Vado uses a 48 t chainring.

Have you thought also about changing tires? Personally I like the Ground Controls - even on pavement they are noisy but ok for me. But the thought of doing a daily commute like yours @ Peartune speeds would have me thinking of swapping. 700c x 32 or 38 should still fit? But the smaller tire diameter would prob undo some of what you're looking for in swapping to the 42 t. A 32/38 mm tire would be roughly the same diameter as the Vado's 650 B 2.3 in tires - but the Vado uses a 48 t chainring.
I don't like skinny tires. Even on my gravel bikes I squeeze on the widest tires that will fit. I like the cushion. I've never noticed much, if any, speed difference with electric bikes by changing tires.

Hey @Nubnub. Be careful with going down with your tyre width. Your rim is 25 mm. If you go down with the tyre width, you might get abnormal tyre profile, which is bad. Have you thought of silent, all-rounder tyres such as Johnny Watts or Smart Sam in the proper size? Moreover, going down with the tyre width will not only make your e-bike look funny but it also will affect the speedometer, odometer and daily trip meter.

The Tetrarack is not good for a road bike. It is strictly an MTB rack. (Tetrarack expects the bike to be wide, not the case of a road bike).
@kahn, @mschwett; does any of you use a rack on your road e-bike? Can you help?
I doubt @mschwett would weigh down his elegant road bikes with a rack. I, on the other hand, .....

I've got a very narrow Axiom. I chose it because it did not interfere with the faux "quick release" handle for the Creo's rear through-axle. A few racks attached in such a way that the rack would have to be removed to change a flat tire. Now I realize getting a different through-axle design would have overcome that issue. I also don't do heavy duty touring so only wanted a rack to handle panniers for the daily needs and changing weather. And panniers because the way I swing my leg over the saddle means that a rear luggage/trunk bag would interfere with my foot. It is truly a house of cards! One wrong component and I either can't get or or can't get off my bike!!!!! :eek:
o_O

I doubt @mschwett would weigh down his elegant road bikes with a rack. I, on the other hand, .....

I've got a very narrow Axiom. I chose it because it did not interfere with the faux "quick release" handle for the Creo's rear through-axle. A few racks attached in such a way that the rack would have to be removed to change a flat tire. Now I realize getting a different through-axle design would have overcome that issue. I also don't do heavy duty touring so only wanted a rack to handle panniers for the daily needs and changing weather. And panniers because the way I swing my leg over the saddle means that a rear luggage/trunk bag would interfere with my foot. It is truly a house of cards! One wrong component and I either can't get or or can't get off my bike!!!!! :eek:
o_O

haha you should have just changed the through axle !! the robert axle project ones are great. much less bulky and who needs a big quick release lever when a hex key is so much smaller and lighter!

i’ve never put a rack on a bike. but i am thinking of building a titanium gravel/touring/city bike with a rear hub motor, pinion, bottle battery, and heavy duty rack for kid carrying and long bikepacking!

haha you should have just changed the through axle !! the robert axle project ones are great. much less bulky and who needs a big quick release lever when a hex key is so much smaller and lighter!

i’ve never put a rack on a bike. but i am thinking of building a titanium gravel/touring/city bike with a rear hub motor, pinion, bottle battery, and heavy duty rack for kid carrying and long bikepacking!
It was a new bike purchase and I knew I needed a rack for my panniers. Hence the limited choices. I have since acquired the Robert Axle but not installed it as of yet. With the "spare" parts I've acquired I could build two more bikes! ;)

Back