What does Bluetooth do?

For those of you who misunderstood the question,

Yamaha mentions bluetooth connection because it is supposed to be paired with a phone, cycle computer etc. to monitor user data such as cadence, speed and more importantly power output.

Appreciate it if someone managed to pair and display/store that data shares how it did it.

I use the Wahoo iPhone app to record data from the Yamaha Cross Core using the CPP profile. The Wahoo app records lots of data itself, including route on a map, speed, time, and altitude gain. It draws additional information from the bike including power usage (watts) and cadence.

Bluetooth sensors are confusing. They are not visible as Bluetooth devices to be paired with. Unlike typical Bluetooth devices that need to be “paired” using the iPhone system settings, Bluetooth sensors are “connected” from within an app.

Here is a screenshot of the results of a recent ride recorded in the Wahoo app. The grey shading shows change in altitude, the orange shows instantaneous power usage in watts.

1617112233146.png

While riding my 2020 Civant, I use "Ride with GPS" software on my Apple 12. The software provides route planning and a record of my rides. On a recent reset of my Yamaha controller, it seems that I turned on the Yamaha bluetooth. Consequently my RIDE with GPS software began to incorrectly record my speed and distance at about 30% of actual. I turned off the Yamaha Bluetooth and now everything is back to normal. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening with the "Ride with GPS Software?"

Replying in this old thread with some additional info. The Bluetooth capabilities of the Yamaha bikes also work well with fitness watches like Garmin. However if you are a relatively serious athlete take the power readings with a big grain of salt; the power meter on the bike is not well calibrated and (at least on my bike) reports higher power than I am putting out while pedaling. I first noticed this when my Garmin started getting unhappy about my fitness levels when switching between my indoor trainer and my ebike, because it thought I had “lost” a lot of fitness when using my trainer. When I finally bought a power meter pedal for my road bike, I put it on the Yamaha and confirmed the over-reporting. Even if you aren’t a serious cyclist, be aware that the calorie counts you get when using the Yamaha power meter will be inflated.

I’m not mad about this- properly calibrated power meters are very expensive and all Yamaha needs is something roughly right to control power to the ebike (which it does splendidly).

Back