What do you think about this full suspension rear rack?

Edventure

Garneck Bike Carrier Rack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089Y1954J

What I already know: It has a lot of connectors, so will be a pain to put on and there is a greater chance of one or more bolts loosening during the ride. For the latter concern, I plan on using Blue loctite.
Anything else I should be concerned about? Note that I ride single track, however I won't have more than 5 lbs of gear attached to the rack.
I'm interested in this rack because I ride a FS e-bike with a seat dropper post, so I'm interested in attaching the front of the rack to the seat stay cross bar and I don't want to hassle with a thru axle attachment for the verticals, so an Old Man rack is out. Also the Thule and Topeak racks meant for FS bikes have a lot of reviewers naysaying them, so I'm not interested in them.

Thanks!

What makes you think this is for a full suspension bike? It doesn’t look like it to me.....

There are an awful lot of bolts and sliding parts on that rack. It looks to me like it could work on a full suspension frame, but I'd be wary of relying on it to hold up to much "real" trail riding.

Topeak's variation on that theme looks more solid to me, though it's more than twice as much. It has far fewer bolts etc. to rattle loose...

What makes you think this is for a full suspension bike? It doesn’t look like it to me.....
It is not just for full suspension, but since it can be attached to just the rear triangle it will work for full suspension, unlike racks that are designed to attach to the seat tube and stays. My FS bike has no attachment points for the rear struts, which is why I'm considering it.

There are an awful lot of bolts and sliding parts on that rack. It looks to me like it could work on a full suspension frame, but I'd be wary of relying on it to hold up to much "real" trail riding.

Topeak's variation on that theme looks more solid to me, though it's more than twice as much. It has far fewer bolts etc. to rattle loose...

I tried the Topeak years ago and gave up on it. I didn't like the fiddely webbed fasteners. The rack I'm considering bolts onto the stays, which should provide a much more firm grip.

I tried the Topeak years ago and gave up on it. I didn't like the fiddely webbed fasteners. The rack I'm considering bolts onto the stays, which should provide a much more firm grip.
My experience is just the opposite. I've had the Topeak on for 4 years. It's worked great for me.

You might have to get handy with the front mounts though as they look like they would work best on some upper seat stay bosses. Not sure what type of FS you have however.

You might have to get handy with the front mounts though as they look like they would work best on some upper seat stay bosses. Not sure what type of FS you have however.
That's right, I'm going to have to adapt some kind of plate for attaching them to the seat stays. There is a seat stay cross bar, and it's drilled, probably for fender.

@Edventure: That rack should be good as anything else, especially considering how little weight you'll be putting on it.

I've enclosed a couple pictures of my rear Old Man Mountain rack install, just for the point being that the Ancor Cushion Clamps would be ideal for those upper rack stays. They are made of stainless steel and rubber, which will avoid marring the seat stay paint. Blue loctite and stainless nylock nuts and machine screws equals no rust, ever.

100_3768.JPG

Ancor cushion clamps: a favorite in marine use to route fuel, oil and electrical wire runs to avoid chafe damage from vibration. Also ideal for seat stay clamping points where none are to be found on a factory bike frame. I'm just using this package as a reference. You need to size down further to possibly anywhere from 1/4 to 3/8 clamp diameter. I believe I got these off of Ebay.....

100_3776.JPG

Again, disregard this is an OMM rear rack for a rear suspension bike! Note the seat stay cushion clamps. That thru axle mount, just as on your rack's vertical support, bears the weight being carried by the rack and the bag weight. The upper seat stays and mounting clamps just act to stabilize the entire rack. It does not bear weight.

Hope this is of help to ya....

I used a pair of those when I installed the battery rack on my wife's bike. Worked great- won't scratch the frame!

Back