What do you carry for spares?

Latitude

I have a Trek Verve + 3 that I ride pretty much daily, 30 to 40 km. In the 6 weeks I have owned it, I am coming up close to 2000 total kilometers. I ride for recreation and exercise, on streets, paved tracks, gravel trails and some single track including in a nearby provincial park. I am often away from roads by a kilometre or two. I carry a tire repair kit and spare tube, tape, zip ties... anything else I should have? How likely am I to break a chain with this type of riding? Also, the 700x50 Bontrager hard case tires on the bike are great but very smooth... any recommendations for a bit more trail-friendly tire and for fall/winter? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 7E9BB388-1E80-41B5-99CB-52273A0166F0.jpeg
    7E9BB388-1E80-41B5-99CB-52273A0166F0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 349
I see you have a trunk bag. If this is what you always have with you and where you carry your spares, you could add a small first aid kit, after bit, etc. I assume your tire repair kit includes a mini pump, CO2 canister and tire levers.

I do have those things in the bag thanks Rob. Needed the first aid kit the day after I put it in the kit, lol!

My day-to-day flat kit includes a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, mini pump, CO2 inflator, and Grease Monkey wipes. I also carry a bike mini-tool that includes the 5mm hex I need to remove the wheel through axles though it looks like your model has 5mm QRs.

I always carry a water bottle and have cages for 3.

For longer rides, esp on gravel, I add a 1st aid kit.

For out of the area trips I add a travel kit with a chain master link, pressure gauge, etc.

As to tires, there have been several posts praising the Schwalbe Hurricane as a good all-around tire. I went with the Schwalbe Marathon GT Tour for a bit better puncture protection. I also put tire liners/thorn strips in them. Nothing's puncture-proof, but it doesn't hurt to try.

As to the chain, your mid-drive bike does put more stress on the chain so it needs more attention. I give mine a wipe down with WD40 after every gravel ride with a bit more lube and clean and lube it every few hundred miles. The likelihood of breaking the chain is fairly small though a spare master link and a min-tool with a chain tool don't take much room. The real risk is letting the chain wear too much thus damaging other more expensive (and right now harder to get) drive components. Wear gauges are handy, but not a great predictor of when to change an ebike chain. Others have reported drive component damage when the chain mileage got in the 2,000+ mile range. I change mine every 1,000 miles or so just because the chains are a lot cheaper and easier to get than the other drive train components. By my standard, you're ready for a chain replacement but my ebike has more torque than yours and I ride in a very hilly area so even more chain wear. Your call.

What do you carry for spares?
I'll be heading out on my eMTB (tubeless tyres) in a few minutes. These are the spares that I will take with me…
  • chain link
  • valve core
  • mini bottle of sealant
  • tube
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks vey much Sierratim and David... exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have just adjusted my derailleurs today, WD 40 applied, they are working perfectly now. I will play close attention to the chain now. I don’t think WD40 is a good lubricant is it? What is?

Last edited:
Update: ordered a spare chain and have the means to install or repair. Also picked up a Park chain wear gauge and find my current chain is just fine still, nowhere near replacement. On my ride this morning, my front Bontrager Hardcase tire went flat with a wire puncture, so I was glad I had a spare tube and tools, air, etc. On my way home, a faint clicking noise in the rear tire caused me to stop and check it ... pulled another wire out! This tire stayed inflated. Got home and replenished my spares.

I had an issue that I got 4 punctures riding about 400km. These were on paved roads on my new bike which supposedly has puncture resistant tires. I have installed Tanus Armor inserts and have been puncture free since.

Thanks vey much Sierratim and David... exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I have just adjusted my derailleurs today, WD 40 applied, they are working perfectly now.

I will play close attention to the chain now. I don’t think WD40 is a good lubricant is it? What is?

Take a look at this video... WD40 is not recommended as a chain lubricant.

Here is a guide to the best chain lubes and how to make sense of dry, wet, ceramic, and wax lubricants.

Last edited:
I realize that now... have cleaned the chain and applied a proper lubricant. Thanks!
Right, I use WD40 on a rag to help wipe grit off the chain then apply a chain lube. Lots of options for lube. Right now I'm using Finish Line Dry Teflon. When I need to restock I'll get a whatever decent brand is on sale.

I never let my chains get to the point that a chain gauge says to replace them, but your call.

A multi tool, couple of rags, patch kit, mini pump and extra battery. So far no issues just a weekly chain clean. Have just passed 2k kms since March. Am always not far from base camp too.

Right, I use WD40 on a rag to help wipe grit off the chain then apply a chain lube. Lots of options for lube. Right now I'm using Finish Line Dry Teflon. When I need to restock I'll get a whatever decent brand is on sale.

I never let my chains get to the point that a chain gauge says to replace them, but your call.
Sierratim, the Park gauge shows my chain still at .25, almost new tolerances where they recommend absolutely replacing the chain at .75 So it seems I’m likely safe. My style of riding is pretty tame likely compared to others here.

Interestingly, my biking has switched in the past couple of weeks from 75% pavement/25% trails to the reverse of that. Today as I exited a forest trail my chain started skipping in high gear. I added some tension, and checked the chain wear when I got home. It has gone from .25 to .50 in a week of riding on some dirt/sand trails. I now see why you MTB riders change up more frequently! A new chain will be going on today.

Back