Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think building/converting a bike is going to be the solution. Thanks for the feedback
Hi Pierre, I think that a conversion would be the way to go. Perhaps a Bafang drive where you could program the display/controller for less power for a child's safety. Also, you can get brake sensors so the motor cuts out when the brakes are engaged. You could use a smaller 3 lb. battery to reduce the weight of the bike. Luna Cycle makes/carries this with no hard case so you would need to protect it in a bag. Having the ability for throttle only is very helpful.

Edit: ebikemom, I just realized that you started a new thread for Pedal Assist ebikes for Children, so please move my reply if needed. Thanks!

Last edited:
Haibike has the Hard 4 for kids and prodecotech was talking a 20" BMX bike but I never saw that hit the market.

Hi all, I am new here , I have copd and use o2 heart and lung issue. anyway I ordered my first ebike on Friday the Ecotric Hammer cruiser style fat tire 1000 watt motor 48 volt system. I currently ride a 700c reg. bike but lungs are getting worse so I am hoping this ebike will keep me outdoors a bit longer. Is this a pretty decent ebike I don't find much about it. thank you

hello all. Thanks for this thread. I have spinal cord injury. After a lot of stationary bike pedaling, I finally got an ebike. I can't walk. I probably could not ride a regular bike, BUT I can ride this ebike. It is so much fun to be out, wind in your hair, birds singing, and even dealing with traffic is stimulating. I learned how to get back up off the ground in my backyard before taking it out, and was glad I did. It took a few rides(and a fall) before I was very confident. I am still gaining skills and have started riding on less quiet streets.

My next step is to tow my outdoor chair(has mtn biking tires) behind the bike, so I can go places(eg. public library), as right now all I can do is make a loop and come back home. I am not quite confident enough to do that yet, but I am working on the tow mechanism so it will be ready when I am. Assuming it all works, I will post a picture here one day.

Bottom line: Do try one if you think you might like it. I suspect you will.

A wonderful thing about ebiking is how it augments a person's ability to ride a bike, making MORE possible than what was possible before. This enables ebiking to have a positive impact on the lives of people whose mobility has been limited by physical problems, autism, developmental disability, intellectual disability or mental health challenges.

I have a strong interest in disability and mental illness, based in my experience as mom of an autistic child and thus my experiences with so many different kinds of disability. Ebiking has made a tremendous positive difference in our family's life by increasing our son's mobility and venturesomeness and reducing his anxiety about new places and experiences. This has had a strong positive impact on him, as a person, and on our family.

The purpose of this space is to share and collect resources and stories related to disability and ebiking, not only to create a supportive community but also to more broadly share ebiking, more strongly advocate for people with disabilities and mental health challenges, and to influence ebike makers to make their products more useful for a broader range of riders.

Feel free to introduce yourself, and to make your own threads specific to your disability-related interests and experiences. I will also start new threads as people share their related experiences.

Welcome!
View attachment 24212
As a person who's suffered a disability all my life, I am glad you posted and this would be a sticky. I am new member and I just recently purchased my ebike. When I tell my friends, they say what, a ebike? They do not want anything to do with it!

A lot of misconception out there still about these tech infused bikes that makes lives easier for us!

Love the for Disabilities section. Correct me if I am posting in the wrong place but I am looking for a good ebike (for the assist) to help with a friend who is facing rehab from her 3rd hip surgery. It would mean a good saddle and high handle bars. I appreciate the forum and any insight anyone has.

The e-bike "revolution" is indeed a blessing to many handicapped individuals including our disabled veterans. It is opening up the world to many who have never experienced the great outdoors. Unfortunately, e-bike regulations in many cities & states limit or prohibit their use in public areas. I would like to see a law enacted to permit physically & mentally challenged individuals to ride e-bikes in areas where they are now banned. The law could be incorporated into those concerning electric wheelchairs. A simple placard could be issued to qualifying individuals similar to those used for handicapped parking.

Love the for Disabilities section. Correct me if I am posting in the wrong place but I am looking for a good ebike (for the assist) to help with a friend who is facing rehab from her 3rd hip surgery. It would mean a good saddle and high handle bars. I appreciate the forum and any insight anyone has.

Depending on your friends stability, maybe an electric trike?

I would think also be able to touch the ground while stopped.
Maybe Pedego? They also have a throttle.
Maybe Electra? They advertise flat footed technology.

Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

The state of electric wheelchairs for outdoor minded users is abysmal. A fellow in the U.K. has designed a fantastic chair but do far it’s an advanced DIY. A frame is in my permanent daily Google search. My sister in law is wheelchair bound and I watch that bunch of chair selling vultures tryingbto prey on her and Medicare.

I don't think I have seen any ebikes for small children. My LBS doesn't have anything like that. It seems though that it should be possible to add a kit to a kid's non ebike, especially one with at least 20' rims.
Hello and thanks for the thread. I ride very very small e bikes and scooters. 12 or 14 inch wheels. Adjustable speed with an app. From 3mph to 18mph. Is small very maneuverable, stable at slow speed and easy for children or small people. I am 54 years old, 5'11 inches 125 lbs. I have over 7000 miles on my DYU D1. I am disabled and use this as my mobility device. Please check these tough machines out.

Due to a terrible auto accident I no longer own or drive a car. In January 2019 I bought a sailboat to live on in Islamorda in the florida Keys. I researched and purchased a DYU D1. This is a very small ebike/escooter that i could fold into a kayak and transport to and from my boat, as well as charge from my solar panel power system. I rode 7000 miles on this little bike and have nothing but praise for the little beast. 350 watt motor 30KPH or 18.6 miles per hour. would i like more speed? you bet, but i am very pleased with the size and performance for the DYU products. you see I also use this scooter as a mobility device as i have a bad back (fractured L1-L4) and can not walk or stand for long periods of time. I ride through walmart, Publix fast food and anywhere else i please. i have been questioned by staff and when i explain that im disabled I am welcomed. I have moved back to central Florida and love riding through our quaint little town. come join me for a tour of Mount Dora. No mods on my bike except a comfy seat.

Ah yes 1littlekim, I am all too familiar with those! Had two of them. I own a Specialized Como 2.0. It allows for upright seating. Depending on your friend's budget, I would start with a local bike shop.

Due to a terrible auto accident I no longer own or drive a car. In January 2019 I bought a sailboat to live on in Islamorda in the florida Keys. I researched and purchased a DYU D1. This is a very small ebike/escooter that i could fold into a kayak and transport to and from my boat, as well as charge from my solar panel power system. I rode 7000 miles on this little bike and have nothing but praise for the little beast. 350 watt motor 30KPH or 18.6 miles per hour. would i like more speed? you bet, but i am very pleased with the size and performance for the DYU products. you see I also use this scooter as a mobility device as i have a bad back (fractured L1-L4) and can not walk or stand for long periods of time. I ride through walmart, Publix fast food and anywhere else i please. i have been questioned by staff and when i explain that im disabled I am welcomed. I have moved back to central Florida and love riding through our quaint little town. come join me for a tour of Mount Dora. No mods on my bike except a comfy seat.

What a cool, cute looking little bike. I google some images and that bike looks really fun.

Welcome, littlekim! I love the disabilities section, too, as ebiking is all about assistive technology! :)

I hope your friend finds a bike suitable for her. I do know hip replacement folks who use ebikes. She should talk to her physical therapist about what will work best for her. The initial rehab period may not be a good period for 2-wheeled cycling, though an ebike with a throttle eliminates the need to "push off" or put a lot of pressure on one leg to start the bike. If she has financial resources, she could start with a trike for the rehab period, and then switch to a 2 wheeler when she's able. <3

I suggest your friend buy a bike from a shop that can fit her properly, also, especially if she decides to go with a two-wheeler. Cruiser-styling is great for the high handlebars she seeks. It's very comfortable to have an upright ride. She might also like one of the strange-looking nose-less two-piece seats out there. I love mine! I suggest she look into ebike dealers within a reasonable drive from her home, and go from there.

Thanks for sharing. I have a combat injured leg. I did a lot of biking until 12 years ago when the leg got worse. I bought my first electric bike and it was great. Now all I came find are those with the PAS and some with a bad throttle that works through the PAS controller. In the past I helped convert 3 bikes to electric with throttles. Now I can't even find those conversion kits. I don't want PAS because I can't pedal much and I find them very dangerous. Also I have been refused gainful employment, home and auto so the very high prices are very difficult.
Are there any sources for REAL electric motorcycles? Or at least with a throttle that is separate from PAS step system?
Richard

Welcome Van Haren and THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice!!!

All the class 2 e-bikes I've tested have a throttle which can be configured to work with the PAS turned off. Many work in conjunction with the PAS by overriding it when the throttle is activated. Having a PAS on a bike doesn't mean it can't be ridden throttle only.

Before getting an electric motorcycle or scooter without pedals, check the laws where you plan to ride. In many locations, these are not considered e-bikes and are subject to insurance requirements & motor vehicle laws.

I'm not sure which e-bike you had at first and why it no longer met your needs. There are many fairly inexpensive class 2 e-bikes out there. Test ride a few. All are different and it's likely you'll find one that works for you. Just because a class 2 bike has a PAS system, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck in your quest to find a new ride!

Thanks for sharing. I have a combat injured leg. I did a lot of biking until 12 years ago when the leg got worse. I bought my first electric bike and it was great. Now all I came find are those with the PAS and some with a bad throttle that works through the PAS controller. In the past I helped convert 3 bikes to electric with throttles. Now I can't even find those conversion kits. I don't want PAS because I can't pedal much and I find them very dangerous. Also I have been refused gainful employment, home and auto so the very high prices are very difficult.
Are there any sources for REAL electric motorcycles? Or at least with a throttle that is separate from PAS step system?
Richard
Richard

Have you ever seen the vintage bikes site? You may want to check it out at https://www.vintageelectricbikes.com/.
They are a small California company and they build their own bikes that are beautifully designed and all electric. I would say they are a cross between a motorcycle and a bike, but they are not really designed for pedaling despite having pedals and a crank. As noted prior, you need to check out all relevant local laws because these are not regular bikes and should not be ridden on bike trails. They are also not cheap but maybe something could be worked out...?
Good luck!

Thanks guys. I do know that the PAS became the law in Europe a few years ago and now at least 7 states have it. Wisconsin is fiddling with the registration part. But none PAS are not available. I've had two throttle only e-Moto's but the found other riders. I'm thinking with disabilities getting worse I should go to a trike. So far Emoto and E-Wheels are looking good. E-Wheels has a dealer at a pharmacy close by. Waiting on Emoto's message. Not having a drivers license I may have to go to E-Wheels disability trikes without pedals.
Thanks again,
Richard

Back