An excellent idea. But if you keep riding, you may not need a special bike. My neighbor is 85 yo and still rides his dinobike a couple of times a week, 15 or 20 miles minimum.
Well since it's 20 years out... I'm more worried about forgetting then actually needing one.
I fear a misspent youth may be lurking 🤣🤣

I'm still browsing all the files about e-biking/triking. I had almost settled on a Liberty Trike made by Electric Bike Technologies when it was pointed out to me by Jason Kraft the owner/founder, (I'm 6'5") " At your height the LT was absolutely not your best option." Now this is a person and a Company you CAN count on for true facts and they make a quality product. Look to EBT first and use them as a barometer when shopping for an e-trike, I'm sure you'll find few stand up to their quality, price and service.

I'm still browsing all the files about e-biking/triking. I had almost settled on a Liberty Trike made by Electric Bike Technologies when it was pointed out to me by Jason Kraft the owner/founder, (I'm 6'5") " At your height the LT was absolutely not your best option." Now this is a person and a Company you CAN count on for true facts and they make a quality product. Look to EBT first and use them as a barometer when shopping for an e-trike, I'm sure you'll find few stand up to their quality, price and service.
I find most of their kits and trikes to be generic products and overpriced for what they are, with cloned motors and high margins. Don't get me wrong, Jason is one of the good guys. But there are better choices. I chose a trike to throw a kit on.

I find most of their kits and trikes to be generic products and overpriced for what they are, with cloned motors and high margins. Don't get me wrong, Jason is one of the good guys. But there are better choices. I chose a trike to throw a kit on.
I would like to know a bit more about your trike. Have you posted about your build on the forum? I didn't see it anywhere.

Thanx for your positive comment Tom. BTW, I like your Icon, I'm just curious how does the fish shift gears? LOL Seriously though, when you say, "But there are better choices." Can you point me in that direction?

"But there are better choices." Can you point me in that direction?
I chose a controller capable of 36,48,and 52V batteries. And the hub drive many makers copied but don’t match 9 Continent direct drive quality. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/committed-day-6-red-trike.46947/

1645639496181.png

DAY 6: THE OFFICIAL BICYCLE OF 18 YEAR NFL VETERAN LOMAS BROWN AND 19 YEAR NBA VETERAN RICK MAHORN.​

Last edited:
I'm still getting use to navigating the forum. Is there a Topic where I am or can do that?
Search function is the magnifying glass at top right. Enter "trike" and search everywhere.

And a subforum here
electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/other/

And good info under the ebiking with disability subforum ... this forum

Last edited:
Welcome Van Haren and THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice!!!

All the class 2 e-bikes I've tested have a throttle which can be configured to work with the PAS turned off. Many work in conjunction with the PAS by overriding it when the throttle is activated. Having a PAS on a bike doesn't mean it can't be ridden throttle only.

Before getting an electric motorcycle or scooter without pedals, check the laws where you plan to ride. In many locations, these are not considered e-bikes and are subject to insurance requirements & motor vehicle laws.

I'm not sure which e-bike you had at first and why it no longer met your needs. There are many fairly inexpensive class 2 e-bikes out there. Test ride a few. All are different and it's likely you'll find one that works for you. Just because a class 2 bike has a PAS system, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck in your quest to find a new ride!
I have two ebikes. My first purchase was a folding class 2 Ebike with 20”x4” fat knobbies. It has a motorcycle style throttle on the right grip with a PAS kill switch. Button in, throttle active and PAS off. Button out, PAS on (1-5 power settings on the controller) and throttle active after seeing pedal motion. At any point, it can be pedal only (PAS zero or button in and no application of throttle). The second Ebike is a class 3. It also has a throttle but it is a thumb throttle on the left handlebar. Both bikes are awesome and a great ride. Class 2 is limited to 20 mph for PAS and throttle. Class 3 is limited to 20 mph on throttle and 28 mph with pedal assist. Both bikes are hub drive, 20” is a 750w Bafang and the 29.5” is a 500w Shengzi. Both are powered by 48v 14.5A batteries. I don’t think mid-drive Bafang or others have throttles. The three friends that have mid-drive bikes do not have throttles. And, their bikes cost $5K more than mine! I am 6’4” / 215 lbs and have gone through knee replacement and L1 - L5 spinal fusion. My seats are Schwinn seats with no nose(I call them perches). If not for these seats, I could not ride a bike. I can stand for no more than 10 minutes at a time and walking is awkward, slow and limited to distance. I have to use a cane. But I can sit on my perch seats and ride 25 plus miles in comfort (2-3 hour rides) three to four times a week. Both bikes are upright riding position. So, the point of this is that if you have a disability, find a bike that will meet YOUR needs, don’t compromise. Price does not mean it is better if it costs more. I have 4,000+ comfortable miles on the 20” bike and 1,500+ miles on the 27.5” bike (it’s newer to the stable). I rotate my rides to change the muscles I use. Damn the disability, ride your hearts out!

Welcome, your message is inspiring and optimistic! I'm glad you have two ebikes that combine to suit your needs. Just a couple of points of clarification...

First, nearly all Bafang systems come with throttles, hub or mid-drive (especially DIY kits). "Mainstream" ebikes with Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha etc. systems, however, never come with throttles.

And the difference between mid-drives from Bafang and Bosch etc. is as significant as the difference between hub and mid-drives, IMO. The mainstream motors are definitely intended more for cycling enthusiasts, as they provide a more "natural" assist.

Second, I appreciate that for some, a higher price doesn't mean a particular ebike will serve them better. To say "Price does not mean it is better if it costs more," however, is a bit of a sweeping statement.

I've gone through a few dozen ebikes and 10s of thousands of miles since 2015, and my experience has been that paying a premium for higher quality is entirely worthwhile, especially for eMTBs on technical trails, frequent several-hour touring rides, and/or the best overall performance.

I'm fortunate to not need a throttle (yet), as I'm a lifelong cyclist and always want to pedal. I do have developed knee and hip issues, as well as chronic Lyme conditions from multiple battles with the disease since 2009. Just before I got my first ebike, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic, but being able to ride again has been my remedy.

Meanwhile, ride on!

don’t think mid-drive Bafang or others have throttles.
Bafang BBSxx series mid drives all have throttles.

Very similar here. Daily exercises and weekly therapy help me walk a bit better but my eBikes are my freedom and ability to self sustain. I only drive the cage in extreme situations. 3 time in as many years.

Put about 30 miles on the Lectric XP Trike since I received it back in MAY.

It can fit inside the hatch of my Toyota Yaris:
ixb7aKH.jpg

and Prius:
YeUiBNe.jpg

Gave the trike to my 80+ y-o in-laws last month, they rode it around on the sidewalk in Queen, NY.
Since the heat & poor air quality, they haven't been out much.
RZYnV46.jpg

Back