Weird PAS and throttle issue evo cross

Kevineque

Just picked up a new Evo Cross and was riding it to work today and had a weird issue. Everything started out great but after about 2 miles I heard this weird clipping sound and felt the bike kind of lurch a couple of times and then the motor cut out and the LCD panel turned off. I turned it back on and everything was back to normal in PAS mode but then it cut out again. Turned it off and on again and the PAS wouldn't work at all. Throttle mode would work but that too cut out a couple of times. The weird sound seemed like it came from the back tire, but I'm not sure.

On the LCD panel it displayed a little icon under the battery which according to the bh manual is for "assistance cut off." What does this mean? Could it be that the bike thinks the brakes are activated so it is cutting off power? Any other ideas? I'm a total newbie when it comes to ebikes and bike repairs in general but I'm hoping that there could be a similar fix. Anyone ever have this issue?

I would check all external connections first. My Evo Cross shut down completely on my first long ride, turned out the connector between controller and display was loose. Probably not the cause for your issue, from the sound of it, but worth checking. If that doesn't fix it, get thee to the shop.

Thanks for the help guys! I found some grommets near the fork/handlebars and I tried tightening those but they are already tight. Are there any other connections that I should check? I'm sorry for being such a newb! I tried to find some info on the BH website but their documentation is pretty sad.

When I rode the bike home today I could use throttle the whole way but pedal assist was non existent. Also the LCD unit just shut off 3 or 4 times when I was at intersections at complete stops. Any ideas?

I really appreciate your help!

+1 on reporting the problem to the shop where you made your purchase. That's why we pay the higher cost for these ebikes, afterall. It covers the warranty and support offered by BH/Easy Motion. No reason to try and make your own repairs, especially on a bike covered under warranty.

Back